Relativity Theory: Bill & Nancy's Observer Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of relativistic mass and its misconceptions. It is explained that someone traveling at the speed of light would not notice any changes in their own mass, but observers would see them as being infinitely huge. The idea of relativistic mass being related to size is also debunked. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to read more on the topic.
Holometer
Can someone or approve or disapprove my question.

I want to make sure I get this right.

I will use Bill & Nancy as observers and friends

For example, if Bob is going at the speed of light inside a spaceship, his mass will increase indefinite but he will not notice the effects. Bob will notice no changes of himself inside the spaceship. However Nancy is outside on a Asteroid outpost building and Notice her friend Bill traveling at the speed of light. Nancy could not believe her own eyes. Bill has grown way to huge of infinity amount. However Bill also notices Nancy. Bill also could not believe his eyes. Nancy has grown infinite in size when he was passing her up at the speed of light while Nancy was waving hi to him on the asteroid outpost. Nancy will also see herself as everything being normal with no increase in Mass.

Did I get this story right? Is it safe that I got this relatively rule right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Holometer said:
For example, if Bob is going at the speed of light inside a spaceship
This is not possible. He is massive and can therefore not be traveling at the speed of light.

The relativistic mass is an archaic concept. It also has absolutely nothing to do with an increase in size, in fact, things are length contracted in the direction of motion and therefore smaller. This is a very common question and people usually have tons of misconceptions because they think the words means something they do not. I suggest you start by reading this: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/what-is-relativistic-mass-and-why-it-is-not-used-much/

Edit: Also note that the level tags (B, I, A) are intended to set the level of the thread. Based on your question, I have changed it to B sice it is quite apparent you are not looking for an answer at postgraduate physics level.

Likes vanhees71

Related to Relativity Theory: Bill & Nancy's Observer Question

What is the concept of relativity theory?

Relativity theory is a fundamental theory in physics that explains the relationship between space and time. It was first developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century and has since been proven through numerous experiments and observations.

What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory within relativity that deals with the laws of physics in inertial frames of reference, or frames that are moving at a constant velocity. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in these frames, regardless of their relative motion.

What is general relativity?

General relativity is another theory within relativity that explains the relationship between gravity and the geometry of space and time. Unlike special relativity, it takes into account non-inertial frames of reference, such as those experiencing acceleration or gravity.

How does relativity theory affect our everyday lives?

Relativity theory has had a major impact on modern technology, including GPS systems, satellite communication, and nuclear energy. It also plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe, from the behavior of black holes to the expansion of the universe.

What is the significance of Bill & Nancy's observer question in relation to relativity theory?

The observer question posed by Bill & Nancy is a thought experiment that illustrates the concepts of special relativity, particularly the idea that the laws of physics are the same for all observers. It helps to demonstrate the relativity of simultaneity and the effects of time dilation, which are key components of the theory.