Relativity - Length Contraction Problem

In summary, the first ship takes 26.8 minutes to travel a distance of 14 light-minutes, while the second ship takes 28.2 minutes to travel the same distance. When both ships are at rest, the ratio of the length of the first ship to that of the second ship is 1.01918, which is greater than 1 and supports the reasoning that the first ship should be longer due to its faster speed. However, the teacher's answer of 0.9823, which is the inverse of the ratio, does not align with this conceptually.
Jacob Ward

Homework Statement

You are watching a race between two space ships who pass you moving at different constant speeds. In your reference frame, both ships are the same length while moving. It takes the first ship 26.8 minutes to get to the finish line a distance 14 light-minutes away. It takes the second ship 28.2 minutes to travel the same distance. What is the ratio of the length of the first ship to that of the second ship when they are both at rest?

Homework Equations

L' = L*Sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

TimeShip1 = 26.8 (*in minutes*);
TimeShip2 = 28.3 (*in minutes*);
DistanceOfRace = 14 (*in light-minutes*);
VelocityShip1 = DistanceOfRace/TimeShip1;
VelocityShip2 = DistanceOfRace/TimeShip2;
LengthShip1 = ?
LengthShip2 = ?

L'=LengthShip1*Sqrt[1 - (DistanceOfRace/TimeShip1)^2] =
LengthShip2*Sqrt[1 - (DistanceOfRace/TimeShip2)^2]

LengthShip1/LengthShip2 = (1/Sqrt[1 - (DistanceOfRace/TimeShip1)^2])/(1/
Sqrt[1 - (DistanceOfRace/TimeShip2)^2]);

I get an answer of 1.01918 but my teacher says the answer is 0.9823 which is exactly the inverse.
This doesn't make sense to me conceptually because if the first ship is going faster (less time to complete the race) it's length should be contracted more which means it is naturally longer than ship 2 and therefore the ratio of ship 1 to ship 2 should be greater than 1 right? which would support my answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree that the ratio should be greater than 1 and I agree with your reasoning. (I haven't check the numerical answer.)

Likes Chestermiller

Related to Relativity - Length Contraction Problem

1. What is the length contraction problem in relativity?

The length contraction problem in relativity refers to the concept that an object's length can appear to decrease when it is moving at high speeds relative to an observer. This is a consequence of Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that space and time are relative and can be perceived differently based on the observer's frame of reference.

2. How does the length contraction problem affect our perception of reality?

The length contraction problem challenges our traditional understanding of reality, as it suggests that the length of an object can change depending on its velocity. This is in contrast to our everyday experiences, where we perceive objects to have a fixed length regardless of their speed.

3. Can the length contraction problem be observed in real life?

Yes, the length contraction effect has been observed and confirmed through various experiments, such as the famous Michelson-Morley experiment and the Muon experiment. These experiments have shown that as an object's speed approaches the speed of light, its length appears to contract from the perspective of an observer.

4. Does the length contraction problem only apply to objects moving at the speed of light?

No, the length contraction effect can be observed at any speed, but it becomes more noticeable as an object's speed approaches the speed of light. This is because the equations of relativity predict that an object's length will approach zero as it approaches the speed of light.

5. How does the length contraction problem impact our understanding of space and time?

The length contraction effect is a fundamental aspect of Einstein's theory of relativity, which has revolutionized our understanding of space and time. It challenges the traditional Euclidean view of space as a fixed and absolute concept and instead suggests that space and time are relative and can be perceived differently depending on the observer's frame of reference.