Relativity: Force and a Collision

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of energy and mass, specifically in relation to the formula "F \Delta x = \Delta E." It is mentioned that "M" represents the mass of the resulting particle, while "2mc^2" represents the total energy before the collision. However, there is uncertainty about whether or not the resulting particle will also be stationary, as conservation of momentum must be taken into account.
Amrator
Homework Statement
Two identical masses m are initially at rest, a distance x apart. A constant force F accelerates one of them toward the other until they collide and stick together. What is the mass of the resulting particle?
Relevant Equations
$$F = \gamma^3 ma$$
$$F = \frac{dE}{dx}$$
$$E = \gamma mc^2$$
$$P = \gamma mv$$
I don't know if I did this correctly.
##\int Fdx = \int dE##
##F \Delta x = \Delta E##
##Fx = Mc^2 - (mc^2 + mc^2)##
##M = \frac{Fx + 2mc^2}{c^2}##

##M## is the mass of the resulting particle. ##2mc^2## is the total energy before the collision. The issue is I'm assuming that the resulting particle is also stationary. I don't know this for sure though.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems all right. Two clay balls collide to one big ball and stays still which has high temperature ,i.e. a lot of internal energy.

EDIT: I misunderstood the problem as the force comes from mutual interaction.

Last edited:
Amrator said:
The issue is I'm assuming that the resulting particle is also stationary. I don't know this for sure though.
It can't be stationary, as you must have conservation of momentum.

Likes Amrator and anuttarasammyak

Related to Relativity: Force and a Collision

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, developed by Albert Einstein, is a fundamental principle of physics that explains the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

2. How does relativity explain force?

In relativity, force is not considered a fundamental concept. Instead, it is described as a change in momentum over time. This change in momentum is caused by the curvature of spacetime, which is affected by the presence of massive objects.

3. Can relativity explain collisions?

Yes, relativity can explain collisions by considering the conservation of energy and momentum. In a collision, the total energy and momentum before and after the collision must be equal, even in the presence of massive objects and high velocities.

4. How does relativity affect our understanding of gravity?

Relativity revolutionized our understanding of gravity by showing that it is not a force between objects, but rather a result of the curvature of spacetime caused by massive objects. This explains why objects with mass are attracted to each other.

5. Is relativity applicable to everyday life?

Yes, relativity has many practical applications in our daily lives, such as GPS technology, which relies on the precise measurements of time and space predicted by the theory of relativity. It also helps us understand the behavior of particles at high speeds and in extreme conditions.