Relativity for Poets: A Free eBook

In summary, the conversation was about a professor's experience teaching a new gen ed course on relativity. The course title, "Relativity for Poets," was meant as a joke and did not actually involve poetry. The professor had a fun time teaching a self-selected group of students and used various texts and their own lecture notes to create a first draft of a book. The idea of such a course was found to be interesting, and the professor seemed to be enjoying their job. The use of "good for you" as a response was questioned, but ultimately deemed acceptable.
bcrowell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Last semester I got my first opportunity to teach a new gen ed course that I'd created, titled Relativity for Poets. (The word "poets" in the title is a joke, which it turns out a lot of people don't get. There was no actual poetry in the course!) It was a ton of fun, because I got a group of students who were highly self-selected -- it takes an unusual history major to say, "Hey, it sounds like fun to learn about Einstein's theory of relativity!" The required texts were Takeuchi, An Illustrated Guide to Relativity, Stannard, Relativity: A Very Short Introduction, and Ostriker and Mitton, Heart of Darkness. In addition, I wrote up my own set of lecture notes, which I've now finished putting into the form of the first draft of a book. The book is a free download.

Likes martinbn and ShayanJ
Physics news on Phys.org
The idea of such a course is interesting.
Also I glanced through your lecture notes. It seems to me you have interesting and fun explanations there.
Anyway, from your posts, it seems to me that you're having fun with your job as a teacher. Its really part of having a happy life to be able to have such innovations in your job and enjoy your job by playing with it from time to time. Good for you.

P.S.
I checked an urban dictionary, and here it says "good for you" is mostly not a phrase when you're happy for someone and is mostly rude. But I think you can say that's not what I meant!:biggrin:

Last edited:
Shyan said:
I checked an urban dictionary, and here it says "good for you" is mostly not a phrase when you're happy for someone and is mostly rude

Not at all, it's a fine phrase! :smile:

Likes ShayanJ
Shyan said:
I checked an urban dictionary

I strongly suspect this would not be considered an acceptable reference here on PF. :wink: Kind of like citing a paper from vixra instead of arxiv...

Likes Nugatory and berkeman

Related to Relativity for Poets: A Free eBook

1. What is "Relativity for Poets: A Free eBook" about?

"Relativity for Poets: A Free eBook" is an educational resource that explains the concepts of relativity in a simple and accessible way, making it easier for non-scientists and poets to understand and appreciate the theory.

2. Who is the target audience for this eBook?

The target audience for this eBook is anyone who is interested in learning about the theory of relativity, but may not have a strong background in science. It is especially useful for poets, who may want to incorporate scientific concepts into their writing.

3. Is this eBook based on the original theory of relativity proposed by Albert Einstein?

Yes, this eBook is based on Einstein's theory of relativity, but it presents the information in a simplified and more poetic manner. It does not go into complex mathematical equations or scientific jargon.

4. Are there any prerequisites for reading this eBook?

No, there are no prerequisites for reading this eBook. It is written in a way that anyone can understand, regardless of their scientific background. However, some basic knowledge of physics and astronomy may be helpful.

5. Is "Relativity for Poets: A Free eBook" available in any other formats besides eBook?

Currently, this eBook is only available in digital format. However, it can be downloaded and read on various devices, such as laptops, tablets, and e-readers. The eBook is also free to download and share with others.