Relativistic Work-Energy Theorem: Deriving Griffiths' Formula

In summary, Griffiths derives the work-energy theorem by using vector calculus and manipulating the second term to get to the third term. By bringing the ##\bf{u}## inside the brackets and multiplying the first term by ##1 - u^2 / c^2##, the equation is simplified and the missing step is resolved.
ArtVandolay
TL;DR Summary
Stuck on derivation in Griffiths' Electrodynamics
In deriving the work-energy theorem, Griffiths does the following:

##\frac{d\mathbf{p}}{dt}\cdot\mathbf{u} = \frac{d}{dt}\bigg(\frac{m\mathbf{u}}{\sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}}\bigg)\cdot\mathbf{u}=\frac{m\mathbf{u}}{(1-u^2/c^2)^{3/2}}\cdot\frac{d\mathbf{u}}{dt}##

I may have forgotten something essential from vector calculus, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how he goes from the second term to the third. Using ##\frac{d(u^2)}{dt}=\frac{d(\mathbf{u}\cdot\mathbf{u})}{dt}=2\mathbf{u}\cdot\frac{d\mathbf{u}}{dt}##, I'm getting:
$$\frac{d}{dt}\bigg(\frac{m\mathbf{u}}{\sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}}\bigg)\cdot\mathbf{u}=\bigg[\frac{m\frac{d\mathbf{u}}{dt}}{\sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}} - \frac{1}{2}\frac{m\mathbf{u}}{(1-u^2/c^2)^{3/2}}\bigg(-\frac{2\mathbf{u}}{c^2}\cdot\frac{d\mathbf{u}}{dt}\bigg)\bigg]\cdot\mathbf{u}$$
I can't see how to get this in the form shown above. What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
ArtVandolay said:
What am I missing?

Bring the ##\bf{u}## inside the brackets so you have ##\bf{u} \cdot d \bf{u} / dt## in the first term and ##\bf{u} \cdot \bf{u}## in the second.

Then multiply the first term by ##1 - u^2 / c^2## top and bottom, and see what happens.

Likes vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
Then multiply the first term by ##1 - u^2 / c^2## top and bottom, and see what happens.

Ahh apparently I forgot how to do algebra. Thank you!

Likes vanhees71

Related to Relativistic Work-Energy Theorem: Deriving Griffiths' Formula

1. What is the Relativistic Work-Energy Theorem?

The Relativistic Work-Energy Theorem is a fundamental concept in physics that relates the work done on an object to its change in energy. It takes into account the effects of special relativity, which describes how the laws of physics appear the same to all observers moving at a constant velocity.

2. How is Griffiths' Formula derived from the Relativistic Work-Energy Theorem?

Griffiths' Formula is derived from the Relativistic Work-Energy Theorem by considering the work done by all forces acting on an object in a given time interval. This includes both the work done by external forces and the work done by internal forces, such as those involved in changing the object's kinetic energy.

3. What is the significance of Griffiths' Formula?

Griffiths' Formula is significant because it allows us to calculate the change in kinetic energy of an object moving at relativistic speeds. This is important in understanding the behavior of particles at high energies, such as those in particle accelerators.

4. How does the Relativistic Work-Energy Theorem differ from the Classical Work-Energy Theorem?

The Relativistic Work-Energy Theorem takes into account the effects of special relativity, while the Classical Work-Energy Theorem does not. This means that the Relativistic Work-Energy Theorem is applicable to objects moving at any speed, while the Classical Work-Energy Theorem is only accurate for objects moving at low speeds compared to the speed of light.

5. Can the Relativistic Work-Energy Theorem be applied to all types of energy?

Yes, the Relativistic Work-Energy Theorem can be applied to all types of energy, including kinetic energy, potential energy, and internal energy. This is because it is a general principle that relates the work done on an object to its change in energy, regardless of the type of energy involved.