Relativistic Work: Deriving Formula & Application to Electrons

In summary, the relativistic net force of a particle with a constant speed is expressed by the following equation: \vec F = \frac{d \vec p}{dt} \hat p.
Alettix
Hello,

I have tried to derive a relativistic formula for work using the E = ϒmc^2 equation and that work is equivalent to change in energy. But I have not gotten especially far and everything is messy.
However, when looking at solutions to some harder problems I encountered the formula:
W = pc (1)
which I thought decribes the total energy of a massless particle, but this time it was used in connection with an electron changing directions (velocity but not speed) in a magnetic field.
So my question is, do you know if equation (1) holds for work done on/by all kinds of particles or do you have any other suggestion?

Thank you! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I am no expert on this topic, yet I know of one beautiful mathematical relationship that you may notice some familiar arguments within in it.

##E^2 = (m_0 c^2)^2 + (p c)^2##

where,

##E = γ m_0 c^2##

##p = γ m_0 v## (massive particles)

##p = \frac{h}{λ}## (photons)

This equations applies to all particles, whether massive or massless.

Now for work on relativistic particle: the definition of mechanical work gives the following.

##W = \int_{\vec r_i}^{\vec r_f} \vec F \cdot d\vec r##

where,

##\vec F = \frac{d\vec p}{dt}##

One needs to find the derivative of relativistic momentum with respect to time to find the net relativistic force on a particle. Then, it would be plugged back in the work equation.

##W = \int_{\vec r_i}^{\vec r_f} (\frac{d}{dt}(γm_0 \vec v)) \cdot d\vec r##

Last edited:
Work done on a particle = change in k.e. of that particle.
K.E. = E - E0 = mc2 - m0c2
E = total energy of particle
E0 = rest energy of particle.
m = relativistic mass
m0 = rest mass

So if a particle starts from rest, K.E. = work done on that particle. If it's moving you compute m, then do the subtraction.
You can combine this equation with the aforesaid post one, to wit,
E2 = (pc)2 + E02.

NOTE: you are using the new convention of m = rest mass & relativistic mass = γm.
I and the previous poster are using the older convention where m = relativistic mass.
Why this change was made I never hope to know.

Last edited:
Likes Alettix
Joshua L said:
##\vec F = \frac{d\vec p}{dt}##

One needs to find the derivative of relativistic momentum with respect to time to find the net relativistic force on a particle. Then, it would be plugged back in the work equation.

##W = \int_{\vec r_i}^{\vec r_f} (\frac{d}{dt}(γm_0 \vec v)) \cdot d\vec r##

Firstly, thank you for the good answer! :)
But then my question is: How can I find the derivative of the change in momentum with respect to time if the magnitude of the velocity is not changing?
Maybe I haven't learned that math yet...

rude man said:
Work done on a particle = change in k.e. of that particle.
K.E. = E - E0 = mc2 - m0c2
E = total energy of particle
E0 = rest energy of particle.
m = relativistic mass
m0 = rest mass

So if a particle starts from rest, K.E. = work done on that particle. If it's moving you compute m, then do the subtraction.
You can combine this equation with the aforesaid post one, to wit,
E2 = (pc)2 + E02.

NOTE: you are using the new convention of m = rest mass & relativistic mass = γm.
I and the previous poster are using the older convention where m = relativistic mass.
Why this change was made I never hope to know.

Thank you for your answer Sir! However, I still wonder if you have any suggestion of a formula which gives the work done on a particle which doesn't start from rest? The electron in the initial case mentioned only changes the direction of its speed, and I don't understand if W = p * c is a general formula or only applies in this case. :)

That is a terrific question! There is this one mathematical relationship that expresses the relativistic net force of a particle that has a constant speed.
Here is what I got.

The proof (or most of one) below applies to the motion of particles with a constant speed.

Newton's Second Law implies the following: [tex]\vec F = \frac{d \vec p}{dt}[/tex]
It is worthy to note that, [tex] \vec p = \| \vec p\| \hat p[/tex]
We can now expand the second part of the equation using the product rule of derivatives: [tex]\vec F = \frac{d \| \vec p\|}{dt} \hat p+\| \vec p\| \frac{d \hat p}{dt}[/tex]
Since the speed isn't changing, [tex]\frac{d \| \vec p\|}{dt}=0[/tex]
and therefore, [tex]\vec F = \| \vec p\| \frac{d \hat p}{dt}[/tex]
It is crucial to realize that this force is perpendicular to the velocity of the particle due to the fact that earlier we canceled out the term containing ##\hat p## from the equation.

It can be geometrically proven that: [tex]\displaystyle\| \frac{d \hat p}{dt} \displaystyle\| = \frac{\| \vec v\|}{R}[/tex]
(If you would like to know the proof, I'd be happy to share. This thread is already long.)

Now we know that the direction of the net force (perpendicular to the velocity) and the relationship above, we can now say that... [tex]\| \vec F\| = \frac{\| \vec p\| \| \vec v\|}{R}[/tex]
or [tex]\| \vec F \| = \frac{\gamma m_0 \| \vec v\|^2}{R}[/tex]
where ##R## is the radius of the "kissing circle."

The equation above is the magnitude of the net force acting on a relativistic particle moving with a constant speed. This applies to any massive particle moving at any constant speed under the conditional postulates of Einstein's theory of special relativity.

I'm glad that I could help.

Likes Alettix
Joshua L said:
That is a terrific question! There is this one mathematical relationship that expresses the relativistic net force of a particle that has a constant speed.
Here is what I got.

This looks really useful, Thank you so much Sir!

Related to Relativistic Work: Deriving Formula & Application to Electrons

1. What is relativistic work and how is it derived?

Relativistic work is a concept in physics that takes into account the effects of relativity when calculating the work done by a force on an object. It is derived by using the principles of special relativity, specifically the equation for kinetic energy, to derive a new formula for work that takes into account the increase in mass and energy of an object as it approaches the speed of light.

2. How is the formula for relativistic work applied to electrons?

The formula for relativistic work is applied to electrons in the field of quantum mechanics. In this context, it is used to calculate the work done by an electric field on an electron as it moves through a potential difference. This helps to explain the behavior of electrons in an atom and their ability to jump between energy levels.

3. What is the significance of relativistic work in the field of physics?

Relativistic work is significant because it helps to bridge the gap between classical mechanics and the theories of relativity and quantum mechanics. It allows for a more accurate understanding of the behavior of objects at high speeds and in extreme conditions, such as near the speed of light or in the presence of strong electric fields.

4. Can the concept of relativistic work be applied to objects other than electrons?

Yes, the concept of relativistic work can be applied to any object that is moving at relativistic speeds. However, it is most commonly used in the context of electrons due to their small mass and high speeds in certain situations.

5. Are there any real-world applications of relativistic work?

Yes, relativistic work has many real-world applications, particularly in the field of particle physics. It is also important in understanding the behavior of objects in space, such as satellites and spacecraft, which often operate at high speeds and in the presence of strong gravitational and electromagnetic fields.