Relativistic velocity problem with x and y components

In summary: Plugging these values into the Ux equation, -0.8 + -0.8 / (1+0.64), but the correct answer is 0.64c for Ux. I also...You can write the Lorentz transformation T1 for (x,y,t) to (x1,y1,t1) with velocity v1 along the x-axis, and the Lorentz transformation T2 for (x,y,t) to (x2,y2,t2) with velocity v2 along the y-axis. To get the transformation for (x1,y1,t1) to (x2,y2,t2), just express
Luke Cohen

Homework Statement

Two rockets leave their space station along perpendicular paths, as measured by a flight controller on the space station (see figure). The flight controller records the speeds of Rockets 1 and 2 to be 0.6 c and 0.8 c respectively. What is the velocity of Rocket 2 as measured in the reference frame of Rocket 1? Give both the components and the magnitude of this velocity

Rocket one is going in the positive y direction and rocket 2 is going in the positive x direction.

Homework Equations

Lorentz2.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried setting it up by using rocket 1 as the S' frame and rocket 2 as the S frame. The components of velocity are: S' = (-0.8c, 0.6c, 0) and S = (0.8c, -0.6c, 0). Plugging these values into the Ux equation, -0.8 + -0.8 / (1+0.64), but the correct answer is 0.64c for Ux. I also need to figure out Uy, but I think if you can help me solve for Ux, then I can solve for Uy myself. I appreciate all help, Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Luke Cohen said:

Homework Statement

Two rockets leave their space station along perpendicular paths, as measured by a flight controller on the space station (see figure). The flight controller records the speeds of Rockets 1 and 2 to be 0.6 c and 0.8 c respectively. What is the velocity of Rocket 2 as measured in the reference frame of Rocket 1? Give both the components and the magnitude of this velocity

Rocket one is going in the positive y direction and rocket 2 is going in the positive x direction.

Homework Equations

Lorentz2.gif

So I tried setting it up by using rocket 1 as the S' frame and rocket 2 as the S frame. The components of velocity are: S' = (-0.8c, 0.6c, 0) and S = (0.8c, -0.6c, 0). Plugging these values into the Ux equation, -0.8 + -0.8 / (1+0.64), but the correct answer is 0.64c for Ux. I also need to figure out Uy, but I think if you can help me solve for Ux, then I can solve for Uy myself. I appreciate all help, Thanks!

You can write the Lorentz transformation T1 for (x,y,t) to (x1,y1,t1) with velocity v1 along the x-axis, and the Lorentz transformation T2 for (x,y,t) to (x2,y2,t2) with velocity v2 along the y-axis. To get the transformation for (x1,y1,t1) to (x2,y2,t2), just express express (x2,y2,t2) in terms of (x,y,t) and then express (x,y,t) in terms of (x1,y1,t1). From that, you can work out the relative velocity. However, it will be messy, so get out several sheets of paper and a sharp pencil. Alternatively, you can use a computer algebra system to make it manageable.

I don't think my professor would assign anything requiring a computer algebra system... I am also sure that I should be able to solve this problem with the LT equation above for Ux and then the LT equation for Uy. Is there something I am doing incorrectly with my assigning of values to the variables U'x or V?

Luke Cohen said:
I don't think my professor would assign anything requiring a computer algebra system... I am also sure that I should be able to solve this problem with the LT equation above for Ux and then the LT equation for Uy. Is there something I am doing incorrectly with my assigning of values to the variables U'x or V?

If (x1,y1,t1) is obtained from (x,y,t) by a Lorentz transformation T1 with velocity v1 along the x-axis, then coordinates of particle 2 (relative to particle 1) are obtained by putting (x,y,t) = (0,v2t,t) in the transformation equation T1. From that you can get the velocities in the 1-frame.

Last edited:
Luke Cohen said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Lorentz2.gif

So I tried setting it up by using rocket 1 as the S' frame and rocket 2 as the S frame. The components of velocity are: S' = (-0.8c, 0.6c, 0) and S = (0.8c, -0.6c, 0).
I don't see how you got those. It's not even clear what frame you're saying these velocities would be observed in. Note that you're also claiming that S and S' are both moving with speed ##c## relative to whatever rest frame you're using since (0.8)^2+(0.6)^2 = 1.

Plugging these values into the Ux equation, -0.8 + -0.8 / (1+0.64), but the correct answer is 0.64c for Ux. I also need to figure out Uy, but I think if you can help me solve for Ux, then I can solve for Uy myself. I appreciate all help, Thanks!

Related to Relativistic velocity problem with x and y components

1. What is the Relativistic velocity problem with x and y components?

The Relativistic velocity problem with x and y components refers to a physics problem that involves calculating the velocity of an object in two dimensions (x and y) while taking into account the effects of special relativity. This means considering the object's speed and direction of motion in relation to the observer's frame of reference.

2. How is the Relativistic velocity problem with x and y components different from regular velocity problems?

The main difference is that the Relativistic velocity problem takes into account the effects of special relativity, which means that the velocity of an object can change based on the observer's frame of reference. In regular velocity problems, the velocity of an object is constant regardless of the observer's perspective.

3. What are the components of velocity in the Relativistic velocity problem?

The x and y components of velocity refer to the horizontal and vertical components of an object's velocity, respectively. They represent the object's speed and direction of motion in relation to a chosen reference frame.

4. How do you calculate the velocity in the Relativistic velocity problem with x and y components?

To calculate the velocity in this problem, you will need to use the relativistic velocity addition formula, which takes into account the object's speed and direction of motion in relation to the observer's frame of reference. This formula involves using the object's x and y components of velocity, as well as the speed of light.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Relativistic velocity problem with x and y components?

The Relativistic velocity problem with x and y components has many applications in the field of astrophysics, where the effects of special relativity are important in understanding the behavior of objects in space. It is also relevant in particle physics, where high-speed particles must be accurately measured and tracked using relativistic principles.