Relativistic velocity addition and signs

In summary: However, you still struggle with velocity addition and wonder which formula to use and how to use it, especially when it comes to sign conventions for velocities. You have tried looking for an explanation online but could not find anything. You would also appreciate any recommendations for resources on relativistic dynamics and collisions.
asdfghhjkl
Hello all,

I have just covered a very brief module on special relativity as a part of my physics course. I have also done some extra reading mostly; Morrin's Classical Mechanics. While I found the book really illuminating in some aspects, I still feel that regardless of how hard I try there is something with relativity that prevents me form doing anything but the simplest questions. I was trying to pinpoint my problem and I think that a big part of it is velocity addition.

I understand that the Galilean transformation would predict the $$V_{A}=V_{B}-V_{rel}$$ provided that A and B are two frames of reference. I also understand that we need to use the Lorentz transformation to get the velocity transformation in relativity;
$$
\begin{pmatrix}
c \Delta T_A \\
\Delta x_A\\
\end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}
\gamma & \gamma \beta \\
\gamma \beta & \gamma\\
\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}
c \Delta T_B \\
\Delta x_B\\
\end{pmatrix}
$$

Transforming the velocity u measured in frame to frame B;

$$u = \dfrac{\Delta x_A}{\Delta t_A} = \dfrac{v_B + u_{rel}}{1+\dfrac{v_B u_{rel}}{c^2}}$$

But as far as I understand we could equally reverse the frames A and B and simply transform the other way around which means we need the inverse of the transformation matrix; \begin{pmatrix}
\gamma & - \gamma \beta \\
- \gamma \beta & \gamma\\
\end{pmatrix}

This will yield the formula;

$$u = \dfrac{\Delta x_B}{\Delta t_B} = \dfrac{v_A - u_{rel}}{1-\dfrac{v_A u_{rel}}{c^2}}$$.

However since the naming of frames is arbitrary, how do I know which of the two formula to use, the one with the all plus and the all minus signs. I have tried to look on the internet for the explanation of this, but I could not find anything. Also provided that I know which equation to use, how do I use it, what is the sign convention for the velocities?

Thank you very much for all the help and sorry for the long post

P.S. I would be also very grateful if someone could point me to some good and simple resources on relativistic dynamics especially collisions. Thanks again.

Physics news on Phys.org
asdfghhjkl said:
However since the naming of frames is arbitrary, how do I know which of the two formula to use, the one with the all plus and the all minus signs. I have tried to look on the internet for the explanation of this, but I could not find anything. Also provided that I know which equation to use, how do I use it, what is the sign convention for the velocities?
For that very reason (sign issues) I prefer this version of the relativistic addition of velocities formula:
[tex]V_{a/c} = \frac{V_{a/b} + V_{b/c}}{1 + (V_{a/b} V_{b/c})/c^2}[/tex]

Actually, if the Galilean addition formula is to be consistent with what you are doing with the relativistic addition formula, then

VA=VB+Vrel

Then, when you're using the relativistic formula, you use the same sign for the relative velocity as you would with the corresponding Galilean situation.

Chet

Related to Relativistic velocity addition and signs

1. How does relativistic velocity addition work?

Relativistic velocity addition is the mathematical process used to combine velocities in special relativity. It takes into account the fact that the speed of light is constant and that different observers can measure different velocities for the same object.

2. What is the formula for relativistic velocity addition?

The formula for relativistic velocity addition is v = (u + v) / (1 + uv/c^2), where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, and c is the speed of light.

3. How does relativistic velocity addition affect the signs of velocities?

In relativistic velocity addition, the signs of velocities do not always behave in the same way as in classical mechanics. For example, the addition of two velocities with opposite signs can result in a positive final velocity. This is due to the time dilation and length contraction effects of special relativity.

4. What is the difference between relativistic and classical velocity addition?

In classical mechanics, velocities simply add together in a linear fashion. In relativistic velocity addition, the formula takes into account the constant speed of light and the effects of special relativity, resulting in a non-linear relationship between velocities.

5. How does relativistic velocity addition affect our understanding of space and time?

Relativistic velocity addition is a fundamental aspect of special relativity, which revolutionized our understanding of space and time. It shows that the concepts of space and time are not absolute, but are relative to the observer's frame of reference. It also highlights the importance of the speed of light as a fundamental constant in the universe.