Relativistic Simulation of Charged Particles: How a Physicist Would Go About It

In summary, a physicist would create a relativistic charged n-body simulation by recording x,y,z coordinates for each time step, then picking the observer's frame and using the inverse Lorentz transforms to work out where on each particle's worldline is "now".
Jeronimus
Supposed i wanted to do a relativistic simulation of charged point particles moving at different velocities and interacting with each other.

My simulation would give me the x,y,z coordinates of each particle seen from an arbitrary observer's point of view, at a given t.
The t given however, is the simultaneity axis.
Basically a 3D slice of 4D spacetime.

The problem i would be facing, as it seems to me, is that when i compute the next slice, i would use charged particles located on that simultaneity axis.

But would that be the right way to go about it?

Creating a simulation for the twin paradox, it appeared to me, that the simultaneity axis, while mathematically and physically well defined, does not really represent the "present" or what we call as "now" but only serves as a point(axis) of reference.
Events on the simultaneity axis do happen, but only the even at x=0 is an even which happens in the "now".

When computing the next 3D slice of my simulation however, i would have to use events that are in the "present" or wouldn't I?

Maybe my approach is corrupted altogether, so maybe someone can shine some light on this.

How would a physicists go about creating the most accurate relativistic simulation of charged particles in empty space?

Physics news on Phys.org
The obvious solution is to build yourself a block universe. Pick a frame and run the whole simulation, recording x,y,z coordinates for each time step. Then pick the observer's frame and use the inverse Lorentz transforms to work out where on each particle's worldline is "now".

@m4r35n357 may have useful ideas.

Ibix said:
The obvious solution is to build yourself a block universe. Pick a frame and run the whole simulation, recording x,y,z coordinates for each time step. Then pick the observer's frame and use the inverse Lorentz transforms to work out where on each particle's worldline is "now".

No, that is not the problem. I already did that with my simulation of the twin paradox.

The problem is computing the interaction between particles, attracting and repelling each other. Which 3D slice of the universe to use for computing those interactions.

Any will do. The only reason to prefer one over another is if the maths is easier, perhaps because there are symmetries in that frame. It sounds like you are considering arbitrary charges, though, so you can't assume symmetry.

I presume you aren't just hoping to use Coulomb's law in some frame.

Ibix said:

Relativistic charged n-body simulations are beyond my reach, I'm afraid!

A little googling led me to this approach, but it's not really my cup of tea. Hope it helps.

Likes Jeronimus

Related to Relativistic Simulation of Charged Particles: How a Physicist Would Go About It

1. What is the purpose of relativistic simulation of charged particles?

The purpose of relativistic simulation of charged particles is to study and understand the behavior of these particles under the influence of electromagnetic fields. This is important in various fields of physics, such as particle physics, astrophysics, and plasma physics, and can help us gain insights into fundamental physical processes.

2. How does a physicist go about conducting such simulations?

A physicist would first start by formulating the equations that describe the motion of charged particles in the presence of electromagnetic fields, such as the Lorentz force equation. Then, they would use computational methods, such as numerical integration techniques, to solve these equations and simulate the behavior of the particles.

3. What are some challenges in relativistic simulation of charged particles?

One challenge is the complexity of the equations involved, which require advanced mathematical and computational techniques to solve. Another challenge is accurately representing the behavior of particles at speeds approaching the speed of light, which requires special relativistic corrections.

4. What are some applications of relativistic simulation of charged particles?

Relativistic simulations of charged particles have various applications, such as in the development of particle accelerators, understanding the behavior of high-energy particles in astrophysical environments, and predicting the behavior of plasma in fusion reactors.

5. How do these simulations contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Studying the behavior of charged particles through simulations allows us to better understand the fundamental physical processes that govern our universe. This can lead to advancements in various fields, from particle physics to astrophysics, and help us gain a deeper understanding of the universe and its origins.