Relativistic particle in magnetic field

In summary: The equation is valid, but the relativistic mass is multiplied by the speed of light squared to get the corrected mass.
noon0788

Homework Statement

This is just a short response problem on my homework. It asks:
"If a particle is moving at a relativistic velocity, is the following equation still valid?
|q|vB = mv2/r
If the particle is an electron, what is the value of the mass?" (electron mass = 9.1094x10-31)

Homework Equations

|q|vB = mv2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I would think that the equation still applies. Velocity is relative so it does not change when the frame of reference changes. Is that correct? Would I also just use the given electron mass for the mass? Maybe I'm thinking too much... Would .511MeV/c2 work too?

One side question. Would the radius be a contracted length? How would that be calculated? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a good question, I am not sure of the answer but I can tell you what I think. I think that the radius would be contracted, but the faster the particle goes the larger the radius.

It's been a while, Noon, but I would say the equation is valid for relativistic velocity as long as the "m" in the equation is the relativistic mass. m = m0 + m0/sqrt[(1-vsquared/csquared)].

I've been thinking. Does this make sense?

|q|vB = mv2/r
|q|vB = pv/r ...because mv = p
|q|vB = (ymc2)v/r ...p = ymc2 (y = gamma)
r = ymc2/(|q|B)

Would that work? Does that make sense?

doesn't seem so. I don't see where you explicitely call out the rest mass when expanding the relativistic mass. try it with without using the momentum and get the equation in terms of q, v, B, m0, c and r. then solve for "r" if that is what you have to do. I have solved for r but will not add it so as not to "give you the answer"...also, I could be wrong since it's been a while...haha

I also wonder what the other side of the equation will be for very high V. I know that relativistic effects can affect how charges "see" electric and magnetic fields, but I really can't address that since all my old e&m and advanced e&m texts are at home...good luck, Noon.

Related to Relativistic particle in magnetic field

1. What is a relativistic particle in a magnetic field?

A relativistic particle in a magnetic field refers to a particle that is moving at a high velocity (close to the speed of light) and is also subjected to a magnetic field. This combination of high speed and magnetic field can cause interesting and complex effects on the particle's motion.

2. How does a magnetic field affect a relativistic particle?

A magnetic field can cause a relativistic particle to curve its path due to the Lorentz force, which is the force experienced by a charged particle when it moves through a magnetic field. This effect is known as the cyclotron motion.

3. What is the difference between a relativistic particle and a non-relativistic particle in a magnetic field?

The main difference is that a relativistic particle experiences a larger deflection in its path compared to a non-relativistic particle. This is because the relativistic particle's high speed causes a stronger interaction with the magnetic field, resulting in a more significant change in its trajectory.

4. What is the significance of studying relativistic particles in magnetic fields?

Studying relativistic particles in magnetic fields is important for understanding the behavior of particles in extreme conditions, such as those found in particle colliders or in space near black holes. It also has practical applications in fields such as plasma physics and astrophysics.

5. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the motion of a relativistic particle?

The strength of the magnetic field can significantly impact the motion of a relativistic particle. A stronger magnetic field will cause a greater deflection in the particle's path and can also lead to other effects such as synchrotron radiation, where the particle emits electromagnetic radiation as it moves through the field.