Relativistic Momentum: Please help me to see that it is conserved.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in special relativity where the relativistic momentum is not conserved in both frames of reference. The individual's goal is to understand why this is happening and seeks help in identifying where they are misunderstanding the concept. They provide a detailed explanation and calculation of the problem and seek guidance in understanding the discrepancy in the final momentum in the different frames of reference.
Battlemage!
This is NOT homework (school is out), but it has the form of a problem because making up problems is how I "test" these ideas to convince myself they work. I tried the search function and couldn't find what I was looking for.

EDIT- I am not trying to "show my own theory," etc. When I have been learning special relativity I've tried to derive everything from scratch. I've got the Lorentz transformation and the energy equation, but I needed to START with the relativistic momentum equation in order to derive it, and I'm trying to learn WHY we use it, so that's what this thread is about.

So, here goes:
I want to show (to myself) that in special relativity, relativistic momentum is conserved. I am clearly misunderstanding something about how this works, because in one frame I am getting that it is conserved, but in another frame it is not(in S' the initial momentum ≠ the final momentum in my made up problem). I am getting that I have an additional absolute value of 5 kg c on my final momentum for S' than I had in my initial momentum.

Please help me see what I'm doing wrong.

There are two particles moving toward each other. They collied perfectly inelastically and form a third mass.In frame S, particle A moves at u1 = 0.5c (in the positive x direction), and has a mass of 10 kg. Particle B moves at u2 = -.05c (in the negative x direction), and has a mass of 10 kg.

So, prior to collision, here is my data:

γ1 = (1 - (0.5)2)-1/2 = 1.1547
γ2 = (1 - (-0.5)2)-1/2 = 1.1547

So,

P1 = γ1(10 kg) (0.5c)

P2 = γ2(10 kg) (-.05c)

So P1 + P2 = 0After collision:

PF = (γ1*m + γ2*m)( (0.5c - 0.5c)/(1 - (0.5)(-0.5)) = 0So momentum is conserved in frame S.
Now, frame S' moves in the positive x direction at speed v = 0.9cSo u1' = (0.5c - 0.9c)/(1 - (0.5c)(0.9c)) = -0.7273c

u2' = (-0.5c - 0.9c)/(1 - (-0.5c)(0.9c)) = -0.9655cγ1' = (1 - (-0.7273c)2)-1/2 = 1.457

γ2' = (1 - (-0.9655c)2)-1/2 = 3.840So the initial momentum in S' is:

γ1'(10 kg)(-0.7273c) + γ2'(10kg)(-.9655c) =
(1.457)(10 kg)(-0.7273c) + (3.840)(10 kg)(-0.9655c) = -47.67 kg c

But the final momentum is:(γ1'*m + γ2'*m) ( (-0.7273c - -0.9655c)/(1 - (-0.7273)(-0.9655)) =

(1.457*10 kg + 3.840*10 kg) (-0.9945c) = -52.68 kg c

Now obviously -47.67 kg c ≠ -52.68 kg c. It's off by about 5 kg c.Clearly I am not understanding how to calculate momentum in special relativity. If anyone wants to take the time to examine what I've done, please show me where I am messing up.
Again, this is NOT homework. This is just me trying to "see" that relativistic momentum is conserved for myself. But if it needs to be moved I don't mind, but I do apologize if it is in the wrong section.

Thank you for whoever tries to help me!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Battlemage! said:
This is NOT homework (school is out), but it has the form of a problem because making up problems is how I "test" these ideas to convince myself they work. I tried the search function and couldn't find what I was looking for.

EDIT- I am not trying to "show my own theory," etc. When I have been learning special relativity I've tried to derive everything from scratch. I've got the Lorentz transformation and the energy equation, but I needed to START with the relativistic momentum equation in order to derive it, and I'm trying to learn WHY we use it, so that's what this thread is about.

So, here goes:
I want to show (to myself) that in special relativity, relativistic momentum is conserved. I am clearly misunderstanding something about how this works, because in one frame I am getting that it is conserved, but in another frame it is not(in S' the initial momentum ≠ the final momentum in my made up problem). I am getting that I have an additional absolute value of 5 kg c on my final momentum for S' than I had in my initial momentum.

Please help me see what I'm doing wrong.

What you are asking is not a trivial subject. It is covered in an excellent way by C.Moller (The Theory of Relativity) in no less than 4 chapters! (28-31). You will need to get the book (about 20$ on Abebooks.com).
There are two particles moving toward each other. They collied perfectly inelastically and form a third mass.In frame S, particle A moves at u1 = 0.5c (in the positive x direction), and has a mass of 10 kg. Particle B moves at u2 = -.05c (in the negative x direction), and has a mass of 10 kg.

So, prior to collision, here is my data:

γ1 = (1 - (0.5)2)-1/2 = 1.1547
γ2 = (1 - (-0.5)2)-1/2 = 1.1547

So,

P1 = γ1(10 kg) (0.5c)

P2 = γ2(10 kg) (-.05c)

So P1 + P2 = 0After collision:

PF = (γ1*m + γ2*m)( (0.5c - 0.5c)/(1 - (0.5)(-0.5)) = 0So momentum is conserved in frame S.

OK.
Now, frame S' moves in the positive x direction at speed v = 0.9cSo u1' = (0.5c - 0.9c)/(1 - (0.5c)(0.9c)) = -0.7273c

u2' = (-0.5c - 0.9c)/(1 - (-0.5c)(0.9c)) = -0.9655cγ1' = (1 - (-0.7273c)2)-1/2 = 1.457

γ2' = (1 - (-0.9655c)2)-1/2 = 3.840So the initial momentum in S' is:

γ1'(10 kg)(-0.7273c) + γ2'(10kg)(-.9655c) =
(1.457)(10 kg)(-0.7273c) + (3.840)(10 kg)(-0.9655c) = -47.67 kg c

OK
But the final momentum is:(γ1'*m + γ2'*m) ( (-0.7273c - -0.9655c)/(1 - (-0.7273)(-0.9655)) =

(1.457*10 kg + 3.840*10 kg) (-0.9945c) = -52.68 kg c

You sure about this? The two masses now move together. What is their speed in the primed frame?

Last edited:
This is an interesting problem. The discrepancy is because you didn't calculate the final momentum in the primed frame correctly. After the collision in the primed frame, the two particles are moving together with a velocity of 0.9c. So their total momentum is m (0.9)/sqrt(1-0.9^2). But what value of m is correct to use? Since m is invariant, we can evaluate it in any frame, and it is easiest to evaluate it in the CM frame. Since energy is conserved, the total energy of the (now stationary) particles after the collision is 2*(10kg)*(1/sqrt(1-0.5^2), the same as it is before the collision. Basically their kinetic energy of motion has been converted into rest mass. So the final momentum in the primed frame is given by
p(final) = 2(10kg)(1/sqrt(1-0.5^2))(0.9)(1/sqrt(1-0.9^2)) = 47.67, the same as before the collision.

Last edited:
Ha! I think I got it! Thanks a lot you guys (course I still could be off...)

I know that I made at least two mistakes.

(1) I should have just took the third velocity (which was 0) from the S frame and just used Einstein's velocity transformation to get that velocity in the S' frame, which is -0.9c.

(2) The masses did not add up to 20 kg in the S' frame after collision, because as was pointed out by phyzguy, some energy was converted into mass.

Instead what I did this time was I took the Energy of each particle in the S frame, added them together and divided by c2 to get the new third mass, which was 23.1 kg (11.55 kg + 11.55 kg).

So, here is the final result:

with u3' = -0.9c, then γ3' = 2.294

So the final momentum is:

(2.294) (23.1 kg) (-0.9c) = -47.68 kg c

which is pretty close to what I had before the collision with the two 10 kg masses (I'm assuming some rounding error).

... well, either that is right or I got really lucky.

Again, thank you all for your hints. If I am still missing it, feel free to correct me.

Battlemage! said:
Ha! I think I got it! Thanks a lot you guys (course I still could be off...)I know that I made at least two mistakes.(1) I should have just took the third velocity (which was 0) from the S frame and just used Einstein's velocity transformation to get that velocity in the S' frame, which is -0.9c.

(2) The masses did not add up to 20 kg in the S' frame after collision, because as was pointed out by phyzguy, some energy was converted into mass.

Instead what I did this time was I took the Energy of each particle in the S frame, added them together and divided by c2 to get the new third mass, which was 23.1 kg (11.55 kg + 11.55 kg).

So, here is the final result:

with u3' = -0.9c, then γ3' = 2.294
So the final momentum is:(2.294) (23.1 kg) (-0.9c) = -47.68 kg c

which is pretty close to what I had before the collision with the two 10 kg masses (I'm assuming some rounding error).

... well, either that is right or I got really lucky.Again, thank you all for your hints. If I am still missing it, feel free to correct me.

Yes, now it is correct. You can produce a fully symbolic solution if you keep in mind that:

[tex]\gamma(u_1)m_1u_1+\gamma(u_2)m_2u_2=\gamma(u)(m_1+m_2)u[/tex] (conservation of momentum)

[tex]\gamma(u_1)m_1c^2+\gamma(u_2)m_2c^2=\gamma(u)(m_1+m_2)c^2[/tex] (conservation of energy).

To the above, add that, in a primed frame, moving at V:

[tex]u_i=\frac{u'_i+V}{1+u'_i V/c^2}[/tex]

with the immediate consequence:

[tex]\gamma(u_i)=\gamma(u'_i) \gamma(V) (1+u'_i V/c^2)[/tex]

Substitute in the above, do a little algebra and you should be getting:

[tex]\gamma(u'_1)m_1u'_1+\gamma(u'_2)m_2u'_2=\gamma(u')(m_1+m_2)u'[/tex]

[tex]\gamma(u'_1)m_1c^2+\gamma(u'_2)m_2c^2=\gamma(u')(m_1+m_2)c^2[/tex]

Last edited:
phyzguy said:
This is an interesting problem. ...
Basically their kinetic energy of motion has been converted into rest mass...

Yep, it is interesting. Presumably the additional rest mass (about 3.1kgs) would be observable by weighing the (very hot) combined mass after the collision.

Related to Relativistic Momentum: Please help me to see that it is conserved.

1. What is relativistic momentum?

Relativistic momentum is a concept in physics that takes into account the effects of special relativity on the momentum of an object. It is a measure of the motion of an object and is a product of its mass and velocity.

2. How does special relativity impact momentum?

Special relativity states that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial reference frames. This means that the momentum of an object can be different depending on the frame of reference it is measured in. Relativistic momentum takes this into account and provides a more accurate measure of an object's motion.

3. Why is it important to understand the conservation of relativistic momentum?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics, and it is crucial to understanding the behavior of objects in motion. Relativistic momentum is a more accurate measure of an object's motion, and understanding its conservation allows for more accurate predictions and calculations in relativity and particle physics.

4. How is relativistic momentum conserved?

Relativistic momentum is conserved in the same way as classical momentum, through the principle of conservation of energy and momentum. In an isolated system, the total relativistic momentum before and after a collision or interaction will be equal, even if the individual momenta of the objects involved change.

5. Can relativistic momentum ever be lost or gained?

No, relativistic momentum, like classical momentum, is always conserved. However, in certain scenarios, such as in particle accelerators, the total relativistic momentum may seem to change due to the conversion of energy into mass. This is accounted for by the conservation of energy and mass in relativity.