Relativistic momentum - muon decay

However, energy and momentum are conserved exactly, so you need to use the full equations to get the exact answer.In summary, the problem involves determining the momentum of an electron produced by the decay of a muon, given the muon's rest energy and speed. This can be solved by using the conservation of energy and momentum equations and the relation between energy and momentum for particles. The energy is split between the electron and photon, but not evenly, and four-vectors can be used to simplify the calculations.
tib

Homework Statement

Unstable, subatomic particles called muons have a rest energy of 105.7 MeV and a speed of 0.994c. If a muon were to decay and produce an electron and a photon, what would be the momentum of the electron as measured by an observer in the muon's frame? HINT: assume that the electro goes in the +x direction, the photon goes in the -x direction, and the muon is at rest in its own frame.

Homework Equations

E = mc^2 + K; p = gamma*m*v; numerous other forms of relativistic energy equations

The Attempt at a Solution

By the hint, (muon is at rest) we can assume that the initial momentum is zero. By conservation of momentum, initial momentum = final momentum thus, momentum of the electron = momentum of the photon.

This is as far as I can get. The posted answer is 52.8 MeV/c.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to conserve total energy as well.

Do you know how to use four-vectors?

i do not know how to use four-vectors

OK, no problem. So far you have

0 = pe-pγ

What equation do you get from conservation of energy?

EDIT: Some advice: write it in terms of Ee, Eγ, and any relevant masses.

Also, the subscript γ is meant to label the energy and momentum of the photon; it's not the gamma that shows up in the relativity equations.

Last edited:
if we treat the muon at rest, Ei=Emuon=Eo=105.7 MeV

Ef=Ee+Eγ

I know Eγ=hf, but I feel like that's going in the wrong direction for the problem; also I know Ee=γmec2, but without the Eγ, I feel that's a deadend as well.

tib said:
if we treat the muon at rest, Ei=Emuon=Eo=105.7 MeV
Right. I'd just write it as Ei=mμc2. It's easier to plug the numbers in at the end.
Ef=Ee+Eγ

I know Eγ=hf, but I feel like that's going in the wrong direction for the problem; also I know Ee=γmec2, but without the Eγ, I feel that's a deadend as well.
Yeah, generally, you want to solve for energies and momenta directly. Throwing in things like gamma, velocity, and frequency just complicate the algebra.

One of the most useful relations you have for these types of problems is

[tex](mc^2)^2 = E^2 - (pc)^2[/tex]

So the idea is to rearrange the terms in the equations slightly, then square both equations, subtract one from the other, and use this relation to simplify the result.

I can see where I (think) I should go, by the equation you gave and by knowing the actual answer, I can see I find p=E/2c. If this is correct, we know by conservation of momentum that pe=pgamma; how do we know that the energy of the muon is split equally between the electron and photon?

Additionally, I still don't see the math to get to p=E/2c; using (mc2)2=E2-(pc)2 for the Ei; the result is 0=-(pc)2, because E=Eo=mc2 -- which does make sense, but isn't useful

And for Ef, photons are massless, but have momentum, so I don't see how to apply that equation to Ef.

The energy isn't split evenly between the electron and photon.

The relation (mc2)2=E2-(pc)2 is good for each particle, so for the electron, you'd have (mec2)2=Ee2-(pec)2. The photon has no rest mass, so the relation reduces to 0=Eγ2-(pγc)2, or Eγ=|pγ|c.

tib said:
i do not know how to use four-vectors

It is easy to learn.

Also, note that the energy is split approximately evenly between the photon and electron, as a result of the electron being extremely relativistic.

Related to Relativistic momentum - muon decay

What is relativistic momentum?

Relativistic momentum is a concept in physics that takes into account the effects of special relativity on the momentum of an object. It is a measure of an object's motion, taking into consideration its mass, velocity, and the speed of light.

How is relativistic momentum calculated?

Relativistic momentum is calculated using the equation p = mv/√(1 - v^2/c^2), where p is momentum, m is mass, v is velocity, and c is the speed of light. This equation takes into account the effects of special relativity on an object's momentum at high speeds.

What is muon decay?

Muon decay is a natural process in which a muon particle spontaneously transforms into an electron, a neutrino, and an antineutrino. This process occurs due to the instability of the muon particle.

How does muon decay relate to relativistic momentum?

In muon decay, the muon particle has a very high speed, close to the speed of light. Therefore, the calculation of its momentum must take into account the effects of special relativity. The equation for relativistic momentum is used to calculate the momentum of the muon before and after the decay process.

Why is studying muon decay important?

Muon decay is an important process to study as it provides valuable insights into the fundamental laws of physics, such as the conservation of energy and momentum. It is also used in various applications, such as medical imaging and particle physics research.