Relativistic Momentum: Calculating Velocity

In summary: Thanks for catching that!In summary, the photon of momentum P strikes the nucleus at rest and s absorbed. If the final (excited) nucleus is M calculate its velocity.
fys iks!

Homework Statement

A photon of momentum P strikes a nucleus at rest and s absorbed. If The final (excited)
nucleus is M calculate its velocity.

Homework Equations

p = mv/(gamma)

The Attempt at a Solution

P = Mv/gamma

P^2 - (Pv/c)^2 = (M^2)(v^2)

P^2 = (Mv)^2 + (Pv/c)^2

V = P / sqrt( (M^2) + ((P^2)/(C^2)) )The answer in the back is

P(C^2) / sqrt((M^4)(C^2) + P(C^2))

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first formula is wrong. Should be [itex]p = \gamma mv[/itex].

There are a couple of other equations to consider using also (though there is nothing wrong with your derivation):

[tex]E^2 = p^2 c^2 + m^2 c^4[/tex]

[tex]E = \gamma mc^2[/tex]

[tex]pc^2 = Ev[/tex]

I get the same answer as you, fys iks, starting out from [itex]p=Mv \gamma[/itex]. The units in the book's answer aren't consistent.

dulrich said:
Your first formula is wrong. Should be [itex]p = \gamma mv[/itex].

There are a couple of other equations to consider using also (though there is nothing wrong with your derivation):

[tex]E^2 = p^2 c^2 + m^2 c^4[/tex]

[tex]E = \gamma mc^2[/tex]

[tex]pc^2 = Ev[/tex]

In this problem, we don't know the energy, but we do know 3-momentum and mass, so it should be just a matter of solving [itex]p = \gamma mv[/itex] for v, shouldn't it?

yes, energy isn't introduced until the next chapter. I found a similar question and tried out my equation and it worked so i just think the book made an error.

Thanks

It's the exponent of 4 that makes me think of the first equation I posted. I'm guessing the author of the solution was probably thinking like this:

I've got [itex]pc^2 = Ev[/itex], so [itex]v = pc^2/E[/itex]. I also know that [itex]E^2 = p^2 c^2 + m^2 c^4[/itex] which combine together to give me

[tex]v = \frac{pc^2}{\sqrt{p^2 c^2 + m^2 c^4}}[/tex]

Divide numerator and denominator by c2 and you get your answer. A couple of typos in the denominator explains the mistake in the book (though that's no excuse). That's where my thinking was going when I provided the formulas. It's a bit quicker, but mathematically the same as your approach.

dulrich said:
That's where my thinking was going when I provided the formulas. It's a bit quicker, but mathematically the same as your approach.

Oh, I see, yeah, that's simpler than messing around with the gamma.

Related to Relativistic Momentum: Calculating Velocity

1. What is relativistic momentum?

Relativistic momentum is a concept in physics that takes into account the effects of special relativity on an object's momentum. It is the product of an object's mass and its velocity, and it takes into account the fact that an object's mass increases as its velocity approaches the speed of light.

2. How is relativistic momentum different from classical momentum?

Classical momentum, also known as Newtonian momentum, is based on Newton's laws of motion and does not take into account the effects of special relativity. Relativistic momentum, on the other hand, takes into account the fact that the mass of an object increases as its velocity approaches the speed of light.

3. How do you calculate relativistic momentum?

Relativistic momentum can be calculated using the formula p = mv/√(1-v^2/c^2), where p is momentum, m is mass, v is velocity, and c is the speed of light. It is important to note that this formula only applies when an object's velocity is a significant fraction of the speed of light.

4. What is the relationship between relativistic momentum and an object's velocity?

As an object's velocity approaches the speed of light, its relativistic momentum increases significantly. This is due to the fact that an object's mass increases as its velocity gets closer to the speed of light.

5. Why is it important to calculate relativistic momentum?

It is important to calculate relativistic momentum in order to accurately describe the motion of objects that are moving at high speeds, particularly those approaching the speed of light. Without taking into account the effects of special relativity, our understanding of an object's momentum would be incomplete. Additionally, relativistic momentum is important in fields such as particle physics and astrophysics.