Relativistic momentum and energies

In summary, the meson decays into two photons each with an energy of 150MeV. The mesonic kinetic energy is −228.6MeV.
danphil

Homework Statement

A meson (elementary particle) decays into two photons, each of energy 150MeV in its rest frame. Find the mesonic kinetic energy in the case of a symmetric decay in flight with an angle of 60degrees between the photon momenta (30 degrees for each particle on each side of the direction of the meson's motion).

Homework Equations

well e=mc^2 is clearly used
maybe ke=1/2mv^2
the momentum of a photon is p=e/c
E(total)^2 = (pc)^2+E(rest)^2
and E(total)^2-(pc)^2 is an invariant (i know this equation is the main way to solve the problem but I'm not exactly sure how to use this properly)
and E(total)=KE+E(rest)

The Attempt at a Solution

First I analyzed the case of the rest frame:
the meson at rest will decay into two photons with 180 degrees between the momenta so the total momentum will be zero, the energies of each photon is 150MeV and the momentum of each individual photon will be p=150/2.99e8.
I also assumed that the meson had a total rest energy of 300MeV since energy cannot be created/destroyed.
Now I know I'm supposed to use the invariance equation now to find the energies at the relativistic velocity with 300 as the E(total)^2 but I'm not sure what p^2 I would use. I was thinking I would use the p=e/c but even still I don't know if I need to multiply that by 2 because there's two photons or…
But on the other side of the invariance equation I think I replace E(total)^2 with (KE+E(rest))^2 which is just (KE+300)^2 and once again I'm not sure which p^2 I would use on that side.
So I think I'm really close to just solving for KE but I have no idea which momentums to use in each p^2 in the invariance.

Thank you all in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
ohhhhhh i think for the first invariant i just make p^2=0 because in the rest frame there is no momentum…i'm dumb…
as for the invariant on the right side of the equation i think i use p^2 as p=(e/c)cos30 to find the x component since the y component cancels out anyway, so the p would be (150*2/2.99e8)cos30
thus the equation becomes:
E^2=(Eo+KE)^2+(pc)^2
300^2=(300+KE)^2+((150*2/2.99e8)cos30*2.99e8)^2
and i solve for ke, i hope that's right :/

It's kind of hard to follow what you're talking about, but your final equation will give you a negative value for the kinetic energy.

(two threads merged. please do not multiple post. Thanks.)

Related to Relativistic momentum and energies

1. What is the definition of relativistic momentum?

Relativistic momentum is a measure of an object's motion in relation to the speed of light. It takes into account the object's mass, velocity, and the constant speed of light in its calculation.

2. How does relativistic momentum differ from classical momentum?

Unlike classical momentum, which is linearly proportional to an object's velocity, relativistic momentum takes into account the relativistic effects of high speeds and the constant speed of light. At low speeds, both values are nearly identical, but as an object approaches the speed of light, relativistic momentum increases significantly.

3. What is the equation for relativistic momentum?

The equation for relativistic momentum is p = mv/√(1 - v^2/c^2), where p is momentum, m is mass, v is velocity, and c is the speed of light. This equation accounts for the relativistic effects of high speeds on an object's momentum.

4. How does relativistic momentum relate to energy?

Relativistic momentum and energy are closely related, with relativistic momentum being a component of an object's total energy. The equation for relativistic energy, E = √(p^2c^2 + m^2c^4), takes into account both an object's momentum and mass in its calculation.

5. What implications does the concept of relativistic momentum have in the field of physics?

The concept of relativistic momentum has significant implications in the field of physics, particularly in understanding the behavior of objects at high speeds. It also plays a crucial role in theories such as special relativity and the study of particle physics. Understanding relativistic momentum is essential in accurately describing and predicting the behavior of objects in the universe.