Relativistic mass and Hubble constant

In summary, the relativistic mass equation would only be correct for objects that are the same size and are moving at the same speed. When looking at galaxies, they appear different depending on the observer's speed, but their mass is still the same.
student1307
Student here, please forgive...

I have a question about relativistic mass in galaxies. Is the mass of far away galaxies affected by expansion of universe? That is: Is mass of a far away galaxy is different for observer there compared to the observer here? Let's say there is a galaxy identical to Milky Way, at the far end of the red shift spectrum. What is the mass of this galaxy (black hole included) from my perspective? Do I get expansion velocity from distance and Hubble constant and plug to relativistic mass equation?

Thanks!

student1307

Space news on Phys.org
student1307 said:
Student here, please forgive...

I have a question about relativistic mass in galaxies. Is the mass of far away galaxies affected by expansion of universe? That is: Is mass of a far away galaxy is different for observer there compared to the observer here? Let's say there is a galaxy identical to Milky Way, at the far end of the red shift spectrum. What is the mass of this galaxy (black hole included) from my perspective? Do I get expansion velocity from distance and Hubble constant and plug to relativistic mass equation?

Thanks!

student1307
We no longer consider velocity to have an effect on the mass of an object. Apparently this formulation led to a number of mistakes, and has fallen out of favor as a result. Today, mass is simply defined as the energy in the internal degrees of freedom of an object (or, equivalently, its non-kinetic energy). So if the far away galaxy was the same as the milky way, its mass would also be the same, no matter where it was or how fast it was moving with respect to us.

Thank you,

Does this mean that gravity forces inside the fast moving galaxy are stronger, because masses are the same, but the galaxy for a lack of better word is smaller?

student1307 said:
Thank you,

Does this mean that gravity forces inside the fast moving galaxy are stronger, because masses are the same, but the galaxy for a lack of better word is smaller?
No, not at all. The galaxy is the same as our galaxy, as you said. So the distances and forces between the stars (and other stuff in the galaxy) are the same.

Hello student1307!

Try not to think about motion in absolute terms. You can't define the velocity of one thing all by itself; you can only define the velocity of two objects in relation to each other. So, a "fast-moving galaxy" isn't a good way to put it. Galaxies are just galaxies, no matter how they're moving with respect to other galaxies. Galaxies here and galaxies there will have the same mass, when defined in the modern way. They will appear to us to behave differently when they're moving fast, but that is just a result of the motion, not something actually happening to the galaxy.

Think about looking at a tall building from different places in a city. Its apparent height, maybe compared to the size of your hand at arm's length, will be totally different from different vantage points. In the same way, a single galaxy can appear differently to observers moving with different velocities.

I hope this helps!

- Warren

Last edited:
chroot said:
Hello student1307!

Try not to think about motion in absolute terms. You can't define the velocity of one thing all by itself; you can only define the velocity of two objects in relation to each other. So, a "fast-moving galaxy" isn't a good way to put it. Galaxies are just galaxies, no matter how they're moving with respect to other galaxies. Galaxies here and galaxies there will have the same mass, when defined in the modern way. They will appear to us to behave differently when they're moving fast, but that is just a result of the motion, not something actually happening to the galaxy.

Think about looking at a tall building from different places in a city. Its apparent height, maybe compared to the size of your hand at arm's length, will be totally different from different vantage points. In the same way, a single galaxy can appear differently to observers moving with different velocities.

I hope this helps!

- Warren

Ah So when I am sitting here, my Milky Way has mass M, radius R, angular momentum L etc. If I warp speed to the other(which runs away at some significant velocity), it would be identical. But When I look from here, I observe it as being redshifted (for sure), with smaller radius? but same mass, same total energy and same angular momentum, hence orbiting faster? So the only relativistic correction is contraction of time and length, but not mass (due to the definition).

Did I get it?

Hey student1307,

Yes, I think you've got it, with one small exception. If you observe a highly redshifted galaxy, one that is moving away very rapidly, you will actually see it rotating more slowly than if it were stationary. Keep in mind that the angular size (the apparent size on the sky) of a galaxy is not necessarily related to its actual size. Nearby galaxies generally appear larger on the sky than distant ones just because of their different distances.

- Warren

Tanelorn said:
What is the reasoning behind dropping relativitic mass at galactic scales?
People think of mass as an intrinsic property of matter. A formulation which allows the mass of a particle to depend upon the motion of the observer is quite contrary to this perception of mass. This incongruence led to a number of errors, and so it has fallen out of favor.

Tanelorn said:
Do gravitational fields propagate at the speed of light?
Well, certain changes in gravitational fields propagate at the speed of light. If you have, for example, a star moving through the galaxy, its gravitational field will move right along with it. It has to, if you think about it, because you know what the gravitational field of it is if it's standing still compared to you, so you can simply calculate the gravitational field if it's in motion by doing a coordinate change to a moving observer. But if you suddenly change the motion of the star (e.g. it's moving with respect to us, and we stop it suddenly), then the gravitational field around the star will sort of ring with gravitational waves, which propagate at the speed of light, eventually relaxing into the new field configuration.

Tanelorn said:
Are relativistic particles in galactic halos a candidate for dark matter?
Nope. Not only would we see them (due to the emission of synchrotron radiation), but we also see the effect of dark matter before any galaxies formed, in the cosmic microwave background.

student1307 said:
Ah So when I am sitting here, my Milky Way has mass M, radius R, angular momentum L etc. If I warp speed to the other(which runs away at some significant velocity), it would be identical. But When I look from here, I observe it as being redshifted (for sure), with smaller radius? but same mass, same total energy and same angular momentum, hence orbiting faster? So the only relativistic correction is contraction of time and length, but not mass (due to the definition).

Did I get it?
It's not correct to say the radius is reduced. A galaxy moving away from us is compressed along the line of sight. If we see a spiral galaxy face-on, there will be no change in apparent radius. If we see a spiral galaxy edge-on, then the galaxy will no longer appear to be circular.

Though in practice, this difference of thickness along the line of sight is immaterial, because in practice we just can't measure the thickness of a galaxy along the line of sight in the first place. These objects are simply too far away, and we infer all of our information about the size of the galaxy from its angular size, which does not change due to its cosmological motion.

As far as the energy, that really depends upon what you mean. In the simple special relativistic sense, its energy will be essentially equal to the relativistic gamma factor times the mass. But this statement doesn't really have any physical significance, so we don't usually bother with it.

chroot said:
Hey student1307,

Yes, I think you've got it, with one small exception. If you observe a highly redshifted galaxy, one that is moving away very rapidly, you will actually see it rotating more slowly than if it were stationary. Keep in mind that the angular size (the apparent size on the sky) of a galaxy is not necessarily related to its actual size. Nearby galaxies generally appear larger on the sky than distant ones just because of their different distances.

- Warren

I understand the issue of geometric perspective and apparent size. I am talking about the other MW having smaller (lineal, not angular) radius as measured from Earth. And why rotating more slowly?

student1307 said:
I understand the issue of geometric perspective and apparent size. I am talking about the other MW having smaller (lineal, not angular) radius as measured from Earth.
Well, we can't observe that, though, because the smaller dimension is along the line of sight, which we are almost completely insensitive to.

student1307 said:
And why rotating more slowly?
Time dilation.

Related to Relativistic mass and Hubble constant

1. What is relativistic mass and how is it different from rest mass?

Relativistic mass is the mass of an object as measured by an observer in a frame of reference where the object is in motion. It takes into account the effects of special relativity, including time dilation and length contraction. Rest mass, on the other hand, is the mass of an object when it is at rest and does not take into account these relativistic effects.

2. How does the Hubble constant affect the expansion of the universe?

The Hubble constant is a measure of the rate at which the universe is expanding. It determines the speed at which galaxies are moving away from each other. A higher Hubble constant means a faster expansion of the universe, while a lower Hubble constant means a slower expansion.

3. What is the relationship between relativistic mass and energy?

According to Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2, there is an equivalence between mass and energy. This means that an object's relativistic mass is directly proportional to its energy. As an object's energy increases, its relativistic mass also increases.

4. How is the Hubble constant measured?

The Hubble constant can be measured using a variety of methods, including observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, measurements of the distances and velocities of galaxies, and observations of Type Ia supernovae. Different methods may yield slightly different values for the Hubble constant due to uncertainties in measurements and assumptions made.

5. How does the theory of general relativity relate to the Hubble constant?

The theory of general relativity, which explains the effects of gravity on the large-scale structure of the universe, is closely linked to the Hubble constant. The Hubble constant is used in equations to calculate the rate of expansion of the universe, and general relativity helps us understand how gravity affects this expansion.