Relativistic Forces: Confirm Resnick's Results?

In summary, Mach's theory of inertia suggests that masses near each other will increase their inertial mass. This theory is based on the assumption that physical laws are the same in all directions, which is not necessarily the case in reality.
exmarine
Am working my way through relativistic mechanics, and one force transform (Fx) I derive has an extra factor in one term. Of the many textbooks I have, the only one that presents those equations is Resnick – Introduction to Special Relativity. And it doesn’t look like even he derived them, but copied them from another ~1960 reference that I can’t find. So it is possible that there could be a typo mistake. Can anyone confirm his results for that transform? I’ll try to type his equation for the x-force (along the common x-axes, prime system has positive relative velocity, etc.)

Fx’ = [Fx – beta u*F/c]/[1-ux v/c^2]

My extra factor is 1/[1-u*u/c^2] in the (beta u*F/c) term.

(u and F are vectors, * is the dot product, v is relative frame velocity along the x-axes, u is the object velocity, ux is the object velocity component parallel to the x-axes, etc.)

Physics news on Phys.org
No typo. Check the case where u and F are both in the x-direction. Then from the previous equation, Fx = Fx', and his result agrees with that without any add'l factors.

Resnick is a really poor book, IMO. He invariably makes things 10 times as complicated as they need to be. My advice is to sell it on eBay and focus on the other books instead.

A gamma in the numerator cancels one in the denominator. You might have used 1/gamma in the denominator by mistake. The derivation just takes dp'/dt' and Lorentz transforms the dp' and the dt' to dp and dt.
It only takes two steps.

Thanks.
I agree about Resnick, but his text is the only one I have that even gives this formula (and I have quite a few). Do you have some other recommendation? And I must be missing something else obvious: do we know that F'x = Fx is correct for that situation?

Yes, that's what I have been trying to do. Could you show me the 2 steps? And note that my extra term is not gamma. It looks like gamma but with the object's velocity in the un-primed system rather than the relative velocity between reference frames.

latex[tex]F'=\frac{dp'}{dt'}=\frac{\gamma(dp-vdE)}{\gamma(dt-vdx)}\\
=\frac{dp/dt-v(dE/dt)}{1-vdx/dt}=\frac{F-v(u\cdot F)}{1-uv},[/tex]
with c=1.

Nice!
Now I need to go back and see if I can derive that momentum-energy transform.
Thanks.

Question on geometric nature of general relativity

Guys,
Here's my question. I am googling "forceless" and "inertia" in connection with general relativity. I have read, not so much Einstein's followers, but Einstein's publications. I never saw where he actually said that general relativity was forceless. Here is my problem. Mach was big, big on inertia, whereby masses in the distant cosmos have an effect on local physical laws. Does not that mean that masses near each other will increase? I know that Einstein said exactly that. Namely, that inertia increases when other masses are pilled up in its "neighborhood". I have found only one source by googling on line that remotely even talks about such increased inertia in this scenario, and it's totally bespoke (a third new science). Are any of you accomplished enough in solving the Einstein Equation to say whether this "relativistic" mass notion is fact or fiction? If masses do increase when stars / planets converge, then why is their gravitational potential energy lower when they converge? This is what cobb points out on the site as a "paradox". But it seems to make at least some sense. Help ! Why is not the dark matter problem at least coinsidered in light of this type of mass increase when billions of stars are in close proximity to each other? I just going to sign up to get the free "treatise" in any event. He having a public experiment. Maybe it will flop

SB

Related to Relativistic Forces: Confirm Resnick's Results?

1. What are relativistic forces?

Relativistic forces refer to the forces that act on an object in a non-inertial frame of reference, where the object is moving at a significant fraction of the speed of light. These forces take into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction.

2. Who is Resnick and what are his results?

David Halliday and Robert Resnick are physicists who co-authored the textbook "Physics" which is widely used in introductory physics courses. In their book, they present equations for calculating relativistic forces, taking into account the effects of special relativity.

3. How are relativistic forces different from classical forces?

Relativistic forces take into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, which are not considered in classical mechanics. This means that as an object approaches the speed of light, the forces acting on it will be different from what would be predicted by classical mechanics.

4. Can Resnick's results be confirmed experimentally?

Yes, Resnick's results have been confirmed experimentally through various experiments, such as the observation of time dilation in particle accelerators. These experiments provide evidence for the validity of special relativity and the equations for calculating relativistic forces.

5. How are relativistic forces important in modern physics?

Relativistic forces are important in modern physics as they help us understand the behavior of objects at high speeds, such as particles in accelerators or objects moving close to the speed of light. They also play a crucial role in theories such as Einstein's theory of general relativity, which describes the behavior of objects in gravitational fields.