Relativistic Energy question

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the relativistic kinetic energy formula and the issues that arise when using it with small masses and velocities. It is suggested that the calculator used may not have enough significant digits to accurately calculate the result, and it is recommended to use larger velocities or a Taylor series expansion to get a more accurate result.
JamesClarke
Hi, I`ve been dabbling in some basic special relativity and when your deriving the famous equation

E = mc^2 you get to this equation just before it.

KE = mc^2/sqrt1-v^2/c^2 - mc^2

ie KE = Etotal - Erest

but when I try assign a mass and velocity of one i get a kinetic energy of 0 on my calculator, (since 1/c^2 is very small) instead of 1/2 (from 1/2mv^2) I thought the classical and relativistic equations would be nearly equal since the masses and velocities are very small. Why is it that this kinetic energy equation only gives relatively(pardon the pun) reasonable answers when the velocity starts to approach the speed of light?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculator probably doesn't have enough significant digits to do this calculation properly. In order to get good results from the relativistic kinetic energy formula with v << c, you have to use many significant digits in your calculation, because the two terms are very very very very nearly equal and almost cancel each other out when subtracting.

With v = 1 m/s, I estimate that you would need at least 18 significant figures to see a nonzero result, and at least 20 significant figures to get a somewhat accurate result.

Last edited:
Alternately, you could also use velocities much larger than 1 m/s. For example, try 100,000 m/s. At least increase the velocity to the point where the truncation errors don't occur. (On my calculator, it starts to be sort of, almost, accurate at v > 10,000 m/s. Other calculators may vary.)

--------------

If you're mathematically inclined (and you are familiar with calculus), try taking the Taylor series expansion of

[tex] K.E. = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}} mc^2 - mc^2[/tex]
for v near zero. You'll find that it does reduce to (1/2)mv2, for v near zero.

(You can also use Wolfram Alpha to help you with this.)

Thanks for the help. Never even thought of taylor expansion and you can see why it approximates if you do.

Hi there,

It's great to hear that you're exploring the concepts of special relativity! The equation you are referring to is known as the relativistic kinetic energy equation, and it is derived from the more general equation E = mc^2/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2), which relates the total energy of an object (E) to its mass (m) and velocity (v). The kinetic energy equation is a special case of this equation, where we assume that the rest mass (m) of the object is constant.

You are correct in noticing that when we plug in a mass of 1 and a velocity of 1 into the equation, we get a kinetic energy of 0. This is because at low velocities, the term 1-v^2/c^2 becomes very small and approaches 0. This is also why the classical kinetic energy equation (1/2mv^2) is a good approximation for low velocities.

However, as the velocity of the object approaches the speed of light (c), the term 1-v^2/c^2 becomes much larger and the relativistic kinetic energy equation becomes more accurate. This is because at high velocities, the effects of special relativity become more significant.

In summary, the relativistic kinetic energy equation is a more accurate representation of the relationship between energy and velocity for objects moving at high speeds, while the classical kinetic energy equation is a good approximation for low velocities. I hope this helps to clarify your question. Keep exploring and learning about special relativity!

Related to Relativistic Energy question

What is relativistic energy?

Relativistic energy is a concept in physics that takes into account both the mass and the velocity of an object. It is the total energy of a particle, including both its rest energy (mc^2) and its kinetic energy.

How is relativistic energy calculated?

The equation for relativistic energy is E = mc^2 / √(1 - v^2/c^2), where E is energy, m is mass, c is the speed of light, and v is the velocity of the object. This equation takes into account the effects of special relativity on an object's energy.

What is the difference between relativistic energy and classical energy?

Classical energy only considers the kinetic energy of an object, while relativistic energy takes into account both the mass and the velocity of the object. This is because objects traveling at high velocities experience a change in their mass, and this must be accounted for in their total energy.

Why is relativistic energy important?

Relativistic energy is important because it allows us to accurately calculate the energy of objects moving at high velocities. This is crucial in fields like particle physics, where particles can reach speeds close to the speed of light.

How does relativistic energy impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of relativistic energy is a fundamental part of our understanding of the universe and how particles behave at high speeds. It has been confirmed through numerous experiments and is a crucial component of modern physics theories, such as the theory of general relativity.