Relativistic Electron/Positron collison.

In summary: You will get w = (2-3x+5x^2-7x^3+...)c, where x^2 is already very small and higher terms will be even smaller. You can neglect them to get the apporximate w. The result is w = 1.999999999999999999999999999999999998....c, where there are 32 9's between the decimal point and c. This is much more efficient than direct calculation.In summary, in an electron positron collider, an electron and a positron collide with equal and opposite momenta, resulting in the annihilation of the particles and production of a muon and an antimuon. The
kirkbytheway

Homework Statement

In an electron positron collider, an electron and a positron are collided such that their momenta
in the lab are equal and opposite. In such a collision, the electron and the positron annihilate
and produce a muon and an antimuon. The rest mass of a muon is 106MeV/c^2.
(a) What is the minimum electron energy in the lab necessary to produce the muon
antimuon pair, in MeV?
(b) Assuming that the electron rest energy can be neglected, what is the momentum
of the electron, in MeV/c ?
(c) What is the gamma factor for the frame of reference in which the electron is at
rest? Here you will need to use the electron rest mass, which is 0.51MeV/c^2.
(d) By performing a Lorentz transform, or otherwise, work out the energy of the
positron in the rest frame of the electron, in MeV. Assume that the positron mass can be
neglected. What relevance does this result have to the choice of colliding beam accelerators,
where the beams are bought together with equal energies and opposite momenta in the lab,
compared to fixed target accelerators, where a beam of particles is collided with target particles
at rest in the lab?

Homework Equations

2nd Year Undergraduate Special Relativity and non-calculator approximations.

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a) I got 106 MeV by converting the rest mass into a rest energy and working out the energy required for the muon-antimuon pair production which must be equal to the energy of the electron-positron collison and since the electron and positron have the same momenta then the electrons total energy is half of the collison energy.

For part b) I got 106 MeV/c by using the approximation E=pc since the electrons rest energy (and rest mass?) is neglible.

For part c) I got γ=208 from using γ=sqrt(1+(p/mc)^2).

Its part d) that I've hit a wall with. Since γ=208 then the particle is moving at over 99% of c. When I try to calculate the velocity of the positron in the electrons rest frame I get another value that is over 99%c. Is there a more algebraic approach that can prevent me from having to deal with long calculator displays. I'm also struggling with the qualatative part of the questions, am I right in thinking that these type of collisions are an easier way of reaching high-energies than the other types?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
kirkbytheway said:
Its part d) that I've hit a wall with. Since γ=208 then the particle is moving at over 99% of c. When I try to calculate the velocity of the positron in the electrons rest frame I get another value that is over 99%c. Is there a more algebraic approach that can prevent me from having to deal with long calculator displays.

Yes, Taylor series are very useful if you want to avoid too many 9's. For example, you can use the velocity addition formula,
[tex] w = \frac{2v}{1+v^2/c^2}, [/tex] then set your v almost equal to c, [itex] v = (1-x) c [/itex] where x is small, substitute to equation above and expand as a series of x.

Related to Relativistic Electron/Positron collison.

What is a relativistic electron/positron collision?

A relativistic electron/positron collision is a high-energy collision between an electron and a positron, which are both subatomic particles with equal but opposite charges. These collisions are studied in particle physics to understand the fundamental properties of matter and energy.

What is the significance of studying relativistic electron/positron collisions?

Studying relativistic electron/positron collisions allows scientists to probe the fundamental laws of physics, such as the behavior of particles at high energies and the nature of matter and antimatter. It also has practical applications, such as in medical imaging and developing new technologies.

How are relativistic electron/positron collisions produced in a laboratory?

Relativistic electron/positron collisions are produced using particle accelerators, which use electromagnetic fields to accelerate particles to extremely high speeds. These accelerators can produce beams of electrons and positrons that are then collided with each other at specific energies.

What is the role of Einstein's theory of relativity in understanding relativistic electron/positron collisions?

Einstein's theory of relativity plays a crucial role in understanding relativistic electron/positron collisions. It explains how energy and mass are related, and at high energies, particles behave differently than at lower energies. This theory is essential for predicting and interpreting the results of these collisions.

What are the potential risks associated with studying relativistic electron/positron collisions?

Studying relativistic electron/positron collisions does not pose any direct risks to scientists or the general public. However, the high energies involved in these collisions can produce intense radiation, so proper safety measures must be taken. Additionally, there is always the possibility of unexpected results or accidents, which is why these experiments are conducted with great caution and oversight.