Relativistic Electromagnetism (Undergrad Level)

In summary: I don't know if there's an update on this. In the table the conventions are not explicitely stated, maybe they're listed in the text. Of course it's possible that there are more recent textbooks not included in MTW's list.In summary, the conversation discusses different conventions for the metric in special relativity books. While most books use the convention of ##\eta_{\nu\mu} = (+1, -1, -1, -1)##, some books, like Griffiths' introduction to electromagnetic theory, use the convention of ##\eta_{\nu\mu} = (-1, +1, +1, +1)##. This difference in conventions can be confusing for readers and can also
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
I have looked several special relativity books but in each of them the metric is defined as ##\eta_{\nu\mu} = (+1, -1, -1, -1)##.

Is there a book where the metric is defined as ##\eta_{\nu\mu} = (-1, +1, +1, +1)## ?

Physics news on Phys.org
What difference does it make?

Griffiths introduction to EM uses the latter.

PeroK said:
What difference does it make?

Griffiths introduction to EM uses the latter.
I am not sure..I guess it changes the signs "-" becomes "+" etc. which is confusing.

Other then Griffith ? I am looking for something like Gauge transformations and electromagnetic tensor etc.

Last edited:
  • Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Hm, isn't the east- and west-coast convention pretty much uniformly distributed over textbooks and papers? In the beginning it's of course very useful to find a textbook suiting ones needs and stick with it for a while just to get a feeling for it. On the other hand it's also good to be able to switch from one to the other convention.

When I started the work for my diploma thesis my adviser told me: "I don't dictate anything, but we all use the west-coast convention." ;-)). That's why I use the west-coast convention since then. It's simply because the majority in my scientific community (high-energy heavy-ion physics) uses this convention (but even within this community there are also people using the other convention).

Likes dextercioby
On a side note: I was breastfed with the Minkovski spacetime ##\, (x,y,z,ict) \, ##, and later had (still have) difficulty absorbing the ##g_{\mu\nu}## stuff and co- and contravariance.

It must have been deemed didactically advantageous at the time (early seventies), but I don't see it popping up very often anymore. It's not even mentioned under sign convention or metric tensor
(the latter might even be sensible: it's not needed , ##g## = identity?)

Anyone know the history (and perhaps the outcome) of this fascinating field of confusion and disagreement ?

The ##\mathrm{i}c t## formalism I'd strictly avoid. It's very confusing, cannot be extended to general relativity. There is no disagreement. It's simply unnatural and nowadays only very rarely used. That said, my favorite textbook about classical physics, Sommerfeld's Lectures on Theoretical Physics (6 vols.) uses this convention. It's not per se bad, but it's doing more harm than good in practical calculations.

Likes etotheipi and BvU
I disagree with the notion that it is easier to keep track of factors of i than of minus signs: factors of -1.
I disagree with the notion that people learning E&M are incapable of keeping track of minus signs.
I disagree with the notion that students are the people best equipped to decide what sign convention their textbooks should use.

• Haha
Likes BvU, jim mcnamara, dextercioby and 1 other person
Arman777 said:
I have looked several special relativity books but in each of them the metric is defined as ##\eta_{\nu\mu} = (+1, -1, -1, -1)##.

Is there a book where the metric is defined as ##\eta_{\nu\mu} = (-1, +1, +1, +1)## ?

Quoting myself from
https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/607885/relativistic-electromagnetism-undergrad-level-book-with-metric-eta-nu-mu

Are you looking for a text primarily on electrodynamics that uses the negative-timelike convention? Or a special relativity text that uses the negative-timelike convention which treats electrodynamics as merely one of several topics ? Possibly helpful: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign_convention#Relativity

Arman777 said:
Other then Griffith ? I am looking for something like Gauge transformations and electromagnetic tensor etc.

Brian Felsager, Geometry, Particles and Fields (1983) is all you need.

I remember a box in “Gravitation” by MTW, where a farewell is celebrated to the old use of “ ict” :eek: . The authors underline in particular that using ict hides the physical difference between time component and space components of the metric , which brings to hyperbolic geometry of Minkowski spacetime.
There are a lot of authors that use the signature (-,+,+,+) for the metric, f.i. the same MTW uses it, as well as Shutz. But Landau and Lifshitz use (+,-,-,-) , if I remember well. It’s a matter of convention, so one has to be careful when reading a new book on relativity, especially when using metric to lower or raise indexes.

Likes BvU, vanhees71 and dextercioby
Landau Lifshitz changed the convention from one edition to another. In Misner, Thorne, Wheeler there's a table listing the conventions used in various textbooks (available at their time of course).

Related to Relativistic Electromagnetism (Undergrad Level)

1. What is the difference between classical electromagnetism and relativistic electromagnetism?

Classical electromagnetism describes the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in the absence of high speeds and strong gravitational fields. Relativistic electromagnetism takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as length contraction and time dilation, on the behavior of these fields at high speeds.

2. How does special relativity affect the equations of electromagnetism?

Special relativity modifies the equations of electromagnetism by introducing the concept of a four-dimensional spacetime, where space and time are intertwined. This results in changes to the equations for electric and magnetic fields, as well as the introduction of new equations, such as the Lorentz transformation.

3. What is the significance of the speed of light in relativistic electromagnetism?

The speed of light, denoted by the symbol c, is a fundamental constant in relativistic electromagnetism. It is the maximum speed at which any object or information can travel in the universe. This constant plays a crucial role in the equations of electromagnetism and is used to define the units of electric and magnetic fields.

4. How does relativistic electromagnetism explain the phenomenon of magnetism?

Relativistic electromagnetism explains magnetism as a result of the interaction between moving electric charges. When an electric charge moves, it creates a magnetic field around it. This magnetic field can then interact with other moving charges, causing them to experience a force, which we perceive as magnetism.

5. Can relativistic electromagnetism explain the behavior of particles at the quantum level?

While relativistic electromagnetism can accurately describe the behavior of particles at high speeds, it is not sufficient to explain the behavior of particles at the quantum level. Quantum electrodynamics, which combines the principles of relativity and quantum mechanics, is needed to fully understand the behavior of particles at the smallest scales.