Relativistic Effects in Relative Motion of Objects

In summary: In one interpretation, two observers can communicate with each other by exchanging information. In another interpretation, they can both see the same event, but their perceptions of it will be different.
ag048744
There is no such thing as absolute motion or rest. This is because one can record the speed of an object moving relative to it and find that it is in motion. The same holds for the object in motion. An observer on the object will observe the other observer moving relative to him. The measured velocity of the observer will be equal to the measured velocity of the other. So, am I right in saying whichever observer I choose to be with, I will witness equal relativistic effects in the object undergoing relative motion?

Physics news on Phys.org
ag048744 said:
There is no such thing as absolute motion or rest. This is because one can record the speed of an object moving relative to it and find that it is in motion. The same holds for the object in motion. An observer on the object will observe the other observer moving relative to him. The measured velocity of the observer will be equal to the measured velocity of the other.
Yeah,the motion will be same in relativity equations.If you see an object moves a velocity v other observer will see -v.
ag048744 said:
So, am I right in saying whichever observer I choose to be with, I will witness equal relativistic effects in the object undergoing relative motion?
Can you be more spesific like giving an example ?

ag048744 said:
So, am I right in saying whichever observer I choose to be with, I will witness equal relativistic effects in the object undergoing relative motion?
Only in flat space-time if both are inertial.

ag048744 said:
There is no such thing as absolute motion or rest.
That is a positivist claim which cannot be validated. What we can say, is that according to current knowledge, no such thing as absolute motion or rest can be observed.
This is because one can record the speed of an object moving relative to it and find that it is in motion.
One could just as well conclude that it is the other object that is in motion. Thus we only find that the objects are in relative motion; for uniform motion we cannot determine which is moving, or if both are moving.
The same holds for the object in motion. An observer on the object will observe the other observer moving relative to him. The measured velocity of the observer will be equal to the measured velocity of the other. So, am I right in saying whichever observer I choose to be with, I will witness equal relativistic effects in the object undergoing relative motion?
Yes indeed, as long as you mean with "whichever observer", that you set up a standard inertial reference system.

Wow, very fascinating. Could this mean that this could give rise to different universes?

ag048744 said:
Wow, very fascinating. Could this mean that this could give rise to different universes?
Er, I think not. The replies you've had would suggest that every inertial observer experiences the same universe viewed from a different perspective ( Weyl refers to relativistic effects as 'velocity perspective').

Mentz114 said:
Er, I think not. The replies you've had would suggest that every inertial observer experiences the same universe viewed from a different perspective ( Weyl refers to relativistic effects as 'velocity perspective').

Hmm that is so strange. Is it possible for the observers with different perspectives to communicate to each other simultaneously?

ag048744 said:
Hmm that is so strange. Is it possible for the observers with different perspectives to communicate to each other simultaneously?
What do you mean by 'communicate simultaneously' ? It has a number of different interpretations.

Related to Relativistic Effects in Relative Motion of Objects

1. What are relativistic effects in relative motion of objects?

Relativistic effects refer to the changes in the behavior of objects and the laws of physics when they are moving at speeds close to the speed of light. These effects are described by Albert Einstein's theory of relativity.

2. How do relativistic effects impact the motion of objects?

Relativistic effects can cause objects to appear shorter, heavier, and slower in motion when they are moving at high speeds. They can also affect the perception of time and the way energy and momentum are conserved.

3. What is the significance of relativistic effects in everyday life?

While relativistic effects are more noticeable at very high speeds, they are still present in everyday life. GPS satellites, for example, have to take into account these effects in order to provide accurate navigation information.

4. How do relativistic effects differ from classical physics?

In classical physics, the laws of motion and the behavior of objects are described by Newton's laws. However, at very high speeds, these laws break down and are replaced by the principles of relativity, which take into account relativistic effects.

5. Can relativistic effects be observed in macroscopic objects?

Yes, relativistic effects can be observed in macroscopic objects, but only at very high speeds. For example, in particle accelerators, scientists can observe the effects of relativistic speeds on subatomic particles.