Relativistic Effect on Object Accelerated to 10000-10000m/s^2

• I
  • Thread starter sfsssfefsfe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativistic
In summary, the conversation discusses the discrepancy between the results obtained from a laser sensor and a high speed camera when measuring the speed of an object with an acceleration of 1000G to 10000G. The laser sensor shows a velocity 10-20% faster than the high speed camera, which raises the question of whether the results are affected by general relativity theory. However, it is determined that the discrepancy is not due to relativistic effects, but rather a possible equipment malfunction. The conversation also mentions the acceleration being small in relativistic terms and the top speed being everyday vehicle speeds. The acceleration was estimated by assuming that velocity is constant over a one millisecond period.
sfsssfefsfe
I am observing the speed of an object whose acceleration is about 1000G to 10000G (10000-10000m/s^2),
both with a laser sensor and a high speed camera in very short time
But the results keep coming out in a way that the laser sensor sees the velocity about 10-20% faster
than the high speed camera results. So I was wondering if there is any chance that the laser sensor result is affected by general relativity theory.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi sfsssfefsfe and welcome to PF.

What kind of speeds are you talking about? My feeling is that any object that you can film is traveling at non relativistic speeds. You might want to carefully look at your methods of estimating the speed for the discrepancy.

Likes Ibix
I'd be a bit surprised if it's anything to do with relativity if you're accelerating something big enough to photograph. Nor can I immediately see why one sensor would be affected by relativistic effects and the other wouldn't. Anyway, it isn't the acceleration that's important, it's the speed. What kind of top speed are you getting? And are you measuring the velocity during the acceleration and/or after acceleration has finished?

@kuruman it is sure that the measurement ends in a non relativistic speed, but the acceleration value is that keeps me worrying about.
@Ibix the top speed is just about everyday vehicle speeds, but since it accelerates in such a short time, wouldn't it affect the wavelength of laser beam
which is about few hundred nm and which again may lead to malfunction of the sensor? I have to lookup for a formula to calculate it, but
I haven't taken any course in relativity field and lack too much knowledge for right now.

one more thing is that the camera is taken from the direction perpendicular to the material and
laser sensor is located in direction that the material is heading right into.

Last edited by a moderator:
The discrepancy has nothing to do with relativistic effects. I suggest you either figure out if those two devices are operating nominally, or have them re-calibrated.

Zz.

sfsssfefsfe said:
the acceleration value

Is still very small in relativistic terms. At 100,000 m/s^2 acceleration, it would take about 10 minutes to reach speeds where relativistic effects might start to be noticeable. It sounds like your experiments are a lot shorter than that.

sfsssfefsfe said:
the top speed is just about everyday vehicle speeds, but since it accelerates in such a short time, wouldn't it affect the wavelength of laser beam
You're nowhere near anything that would have any relativistic effect. In relativistic terms the acceleration doesn't matter whatever it is and the velocity is, as you say, every day.

It sounds like you have an equipment problem. Perhaps the sensor integrates over some time period, which may imply an assumption like "velocity is approximately constant over a one millisecond period"?

As a matter of curiosity, how did you estimate the acceleration?

Related to Relativistic Effect on Object Accelerated to 10000-10000m/s^2

1. What is the relativistic effect on an object accelerated to 10000-10000m/s^2?

The relativistic effect on an object accelerated to 10000-10000m/s^2 refers to the changes in the object's mass, length, and time experienced as a result of traveling at such high speeds. This is due to the principles of special relativity, which state that as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases, its length contracts, and time slows down.

2. How does the relativistic effect impact the object's mass?

As an object is accelerated to 10000-10000m/s^2, its mass increases due to the principle of mass-energy equivalence. This means that the object's energy increases as it gains speed, resulting in an increase in its mass. The faster the object travels, the more significant the increase in mass.

3. What is length contraction in relation to the relativistic effect?

Length contraction, also known as Lorentz contraction, is a phenomenon that occurs as an object approaches the speed of light. The object's length in the direction of travel appears to contract or shrink from the perspective of an observer. This is due to the time dilation effect, which causes time to slow down for the moving object.

4. What is time dilation and how does it relate to the relativistic effect?

Time dilation is the phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for a moving object than for an observer at rest. As an object is accelerated to high speeds, time slows down for the object, and it experiences time differently than an observer. This is a result of the constant speed of light and the principles of special relativity.

5. How does the relativistic effect impact the object's velocity?

As an object is accelerated to 10000-10000m/s^2, its velocity increases, approaching the speed of light. However, the relativistic effect causes the object's mass to increase, making it more challenging to accelerate further. This means that the object will never reach the speed of light, as it would require an infinite amount of energy to do so.