Relativistic Conservation of Momentum Confusion

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario of a completely inelastic collision between two particles in the S and S' frames, with one particle traveling at speed u and mass m. According to classical mechanics, the momentum in the S' frame after the collision is not conserved due to the use of relativistic velocity addition. The book presents an equation involving p' and u' that explains this discrepancy. The individual seeking clarification eventually understands the concept, realizing they were missing a key equation.
Pezz
Hey all,

Simple question yet it creating a lot of confusion in me and I need some clarification. This is an example given in a book I'm reading and I just don't understand one piece of it. In the S frame a completely inelastic collision between two particles traveling at each other at speed u and mass m will result in 2m as per conservation of momentum. The S' frame is moving at speed u along the positive x axis, and thus in that frame one of the particles is still while the other travels at speed 2u according to classical mechanics. However using relativistic velocity addition the speed of the oncoming particle is different and the book concludes that the momentum is not conserved because:

"Before the collision the momentum in the S' frame is p'=mu' ( where u' is the relativistic velocity of the oncoming particle ), whereas after the collision it is simply p'=2mu."

Can someone clarify this for me? Why is the momentum not conserved? Shouldn't u in p'=2mu for final momentum also be u'?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to provide more context. What's the book trying to show? Is the book analyzing the situation using Newtonian mechanics or relativistic mechanics?

I finally understood it... I was missing a small detail involving an equation that was right in front of me the whole time... thanks for offering your help, that was frustrating... I guess I should just take more time on understanding things :P

Related to Relativistic Conservation of Momentum Confusion

What is the Relativistic Conservation of Momentum Confusion?

The Relativistic Conservation of Momentum Confusion refers to the confusion that arises when trying to apply the principles of conservation of momentum in a relativistic framework, where objects are moving at speeds close to the speed of light.

Why is the Relativistic Conservation of Momentum Confusion important?

The confusion surrounding the application of conservation of momentum in a relativistic framework is important because it affects our understanding of how objects behave at high speeds and how energy is conserved in these scenarios.

What are the main differences between classical and relativistic conservation of momentum?

In classical mechanics, the conservation of momentum is considered to be an absolute law, meaning that the total momentum of a system remains constant regardless of the frame of reference. However, in a relativistic framework, the conservation of momentum is only true in the absence of external forces and in an inertial frame of reference.

What are some common misconceptions about the Relativistic Conservation of Momentum Confusion?

One common misconception is that conservation of momentum is violated in a relativistic framework. In reality, conservation of momentum still holds true, but it may appear violated due to the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

How can the Relativistic Conservation of Momentum Confusion be resolved?

To resolve the confusion, one must use the principles of special relativity and properly account for the effects of time dilation and length contraction on the momentum of objects moving at high speeds. This requires a more complex understanding of momentum and energy in a relativistic framework.