Relativistic collision and conservation

In summary, the problem involves a relativistic collision between two particles, one moving and one at rest, which scatter with a final momentum making an angle theta with the x-axis. The conservation of relativistic momentum and energy equations are used, along with the rest mass invariance, to solve for the final kinetic energy of the moving particle. There are four unknowns, including the two angles and the two final energies, and a total of seven equations are used to solve the problem. The elastic assumption is also applied, meaning there is no exchange of rest mass between the particles during the collision. In order to simplify the problem, it may be helpful to use the center of mass frame and relate it to the lab frame using Lorent
yeahhyeahyeah
Hey, I'm pretty confused by this relativistic collision problem.

A particle of mass m moving along the x-axis collides elastically with a 2nd particle of identical mass at rest in the lab frame and scatters. Its final momentum makes an angle theta with the x-axis in the lab. If its initial kinetic energy K0 what is its final kinetic energy?

These are the two equations I am using, in addition to the rest mass invariance:

Conservation of relativistic momentum (in both x and y directions)
Conservation of relativistic energy

Some basic questions I have are -

I can't assume that the collision is symmetric right?
The angle of the first could be different than the angle that the second scatters at?

I end up with 3 equations ( the conservation of momentum in x, y, and conservation of energy) however I have 4 unknowns (the two angles, the two final energies)

Sorry, I would write them out but I'm not good at the LaTeX feature...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is best to work in vector format. Ignoring the z direction:
[tex]P=(E,cp_x,cp_y)[/tex]
Then conservation of energy-momentum is a single 3-dim eqn:
[tex]P_1+P_2 = P'_1+P'_2[/tex]

You also have the constancy of masses (no mass exchange in the collision):
[tex] P\cdot P = E^2 - c^2p_x^2 -c^2 p_y^2 = m^2 c^4[/tex]
(for both particles, before and after collision.)
That's 4 more equations for a grand total of 7. Apply the pre-collision mass equations to get a full set of initial conditions and you bring it down to 5 equations.

Unknowns:
Final momentum-energy of each particle (6) which leaves 1 free parameter (theta).

Have you applied the mass equations after collision? An implied constraint is that there was no exchange of rest mass between particles during the collision. That's part of the "elastic" assumption.

I am not clear but think your given initial kinetic energy doesn't include "rest energy" so the initial energy of the incoming particle is:
[tex]E_1 = K_0 + m\cdot c^2[/tex]
Is that correct?

Finally, as I recall typically one works this problem by boosting to CoM (cent. of mass) frame so that total momentum before and after are zero. (You then have 3 eqns and 4 unknowns yielding 1 angle parameter.) You then must relate the CoM angle to the lab frame angle taking into account the Lorentz length contraction. But that's easier when you have specific values for initial conditions and may not be the best approach here.

Related to Relativistic collision and conservation

1. What is relativistic collision?

Relativistic collision is a type of collision that occurs between two or more particles traveling at speeds close to the speed of light. This type of collision takes into account the effects of relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction.

2. How is momentum conserved in relativistic collisions?

Momentum is conserved in relativistic collisions through the principle of conservation of energy and momentum, which states that the total momentum and energy of a system before and after a collision must be equal.

3. How does the relativistic mass increase in a collision?

The relativistic mass of an object increases as its velocity approaches the speed of light. This is due to the effects of time dilation and length contraction, which result in an increase in the object's apparent mass.

4. What is the role of conservation laws in relativistic collisions?

Conservation laws, such as the conservation of energy and momentum, play a crucial role in understanding and analyzing relativistic collisions. These laws help to explain how energy and momentum are transferred and conserved during a collision.

5. Can relativistic collisions be observed in everyday life?

Relativistic collisions typically occur at extremely high speeds and energies, making them difficult to observe in everyday life. However, they can be observed in certain scenarios, such as particle accelerators, where particles are accelerated to near the speed of light before colliding with each other.