Relativistic Antiproton Protion

In summary, the formula being questioned is a rearrangement of the usual Einstein formula for energy, and it is derived on the previous page of the linked webpage. The formula deals with the invariant and is true for any proton, including the incoming one.
alex3
This isn't really so much of a homework problem, but I'm reading this webpage, and there's one part of the derivation of the required proton KE needed to produce a static antiproton.

The part that's puzzling me is

"and using... m2inc4 - p2inc2 = m20c4 "

I don't see where this formula is coming from. I can see the resemblance to the invariant, but the RHS deals with the moving proton, and the LHS only has the mass of a single proton, I'm confused as to why it's not (2m0)2c4.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
alex3 said:
The part that's puzzling me is

"and using... m2inc4 - p2inc2 = m20c4 "

I don't see where this formula is coming from.
This is just a rearrangement of the usual Einstein formula:

[tex]E^2 = m_0^2c^4 + p^2c^2[/tex]

[tex]m^2c^4 = m_0^2c^4 + p^2c^2[/tex]

[tex]m^2c^4 - p^2c^2 = m_0^2c^4[/tex]

where m is the 'relativistic mass'.

(This formula is derived on the page just before the one you linked.)

I can see the resemblance to the invariant, but the RHS deals with the moving proton, and the LHS only has the mass of a single proton,
I'm not sure what you mean. This is the invariant. It's true for any proton, including the incoming one.

Aha of course, elementary really. Thanks very much for the clarification!

Related to Relativistic Antiproton Protion

1. What is a Relativistic Antiproton Proton?

A Relativistic Antiproton Proton is a subatomic particle that is created when an antiproton and a proton collide at high speeds. It is a type of antimatter, which has the same mass as a regular proton but with an opposite charge.

2. How is Relativistic Antiproton Proton created?

Relativistic Antiproton Protons are created in particle accelerators, where antiprotons are accelerated to high speeds and then collide with protons. The collision results in the creation of a Relativistic Antiproton Proton.

3. What makes Relativistic Antiproton Protons special?

Relativistic Antiproton Protons are special because they are a form of antimatter, which is rare in our universe. They also have unique properties that make them useful in scientific research, such as their high energy and ability to penetrate matter.

4. What are the potential applications of Relativistic Antiproton Protons?

Relativistic Antiproton Protons have potential applications in medical imaging and cancer treatment. They can also be used in high-energy physics experiments to study the fundamental building blocks of the universe.

5. Are Relativistic Antiproton Protons dangerous?

Relativistic Antiproton Protons are not inherently dangerous. However, they can be harmful if they come into contact with regular matter, as the annihilation of matter and antimatter can release a large amount of energy. Therefore, proper safety measures are taken when handling Relativistic Antiproton Protons.