Relativistic Acceleration Contradiction

In summary, we proved that relativistic force, F = m*(du/dt)*(gamma)3 where gamma is the Lorentz factor. This definition of relativistic force was derived by differentiating the definition of relativistic linear momentum with respect to time. Now the silly problem that must have a simple solution somehow: Theoretically, we say that as we increase the velocity of an object up to the speed of light then the acceleration will tend to get to zero. Meaning we can never accelerate beyond the speed of light. This is the theory. By looking at the mathematics involved: We know from the definition of F above that a = (du/dt)*(gamma)3, the
Threadlike
Hello everyone! I apologize if my first post is of a problem that may seem like a really silly one. But it was something we were stuck with today in Modern Physics class. It is NOT a homework assignment!

We have proved that relativistic force, F = m*(du/dt)*(gamma)3 where gamma is the Lorentz factor. This definition of relativistic force was derived by differentiating the definition of relativistic linear momentum with respect to time.

Now the silly problem that must have a simple solution somehow:
Theoretically, we say that as we increase the velocity of an object up to the speed of light then the acceleration will tend to get to zero. Meaning we can never accelerate beyond the speed of light.

This is the theory.
By looking at the mathematics involved:

We know from the definition of F above that a = (du/dt)*(gamma)3, the relativistic acceleration.
Also, gamma = 1/(1 - (v2/c2))0.5.
If we let v approach c (let's say v=c at the extreme) then this would result in the denominator approaching 0 and thus gamma approaching infinity. Which is in contradiction to the previous statement we made regarding acceleration.

My question is simple: The theoretical statement is definitely right so what went wrong in the mathematics and messed it all up?

Physics news on Phys.org
If force F = m*(du/dt)*(gamma)3

then acceleration a = (du/dt) = F/(m(gamma)3),

which tends to zero as v tends to c.

Well this is where I'm puzzled!
Isn't the relativistic acceleration supposed to be gamma^3*(du/dt)?
So why exclude gamma^3?

Sorry if I'm being rather annoying :(

[tex]a_x = \gamma^{-3} a_x^\prime[/tex]

[tex] \lim_{v \to c} \frac{1}{\gamma^3} = \lim_{v \to c} \sqrt{1- \frac{v^2}{c^2}}^3 [/tex]

You are neglecting the reciprocal, which can be easy to do since gamma is already in a reciprocal form. The reciprocal of gamma approaches zero as v approaches c.

Last edited:
Thank you blkqi...That cleared it up a bit!
If I understood this correctly:
-Relativistic acceleration = du/dt and NOT (gamma^3)*(du/dt)
-Therefore du/dt = (F/m)(1/(gamma)^3)
From which we can easily get the answer that agrees with the theory.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but that's about it, right?

Sorry, I added the acceleration transformation above.

EDIT: Checking the link!
We didn't really take the acceleration transformation equation but I will try and digest it fully and come back to this thread. But, just by the looks of it, I think I pretty much understand intuitively what you're saying!

The acceleration transformation is just a direct consequence of the velocity transformations.

You probably know the tranform for [tex]v_x^\prime[/tex] and [tex]t^\prime[/tex]

You also know [tex]a_x^\prime = \frac{dv_x^\prime}{dt^\prime}[/tex].

So you just differentiate [tex]v_x^\prime[/tex] via quotient rule. Then substitute in the transform [tex]dt^\prime[/tex]

Perhaps by "relativistic acceleration" you are thinking of "four acceleration" which is change in the "four velocity" of an object with respect to its own proper time, where in turn the "four velocity" is the change in distance relative to the change in proper time of the object. In other words it is the acceleration felt by observers on the accelerating object. The distance is the non length contracted distance measured by the observers in its initial frame and the proper time of the object is continually slowing down relative to clocks in the initial frame.

So if the acceleration measured by observers in the initial frame is (a) the acceleration measured by observers undergoing the acceleration is [itex]a^\prime = a * \gamma^{3}[/tex]. The cubed gamma factor come about like this. In the momentarily comoving frame of the accelerating object a' = (du')/(dt') = [itex](dx')/(dt ')^2[/itex]. In the initial frame [itex]a = (dx '*\gamma^{-1})/(dt '*\gamma)^2 = (dx ')/(dt ')^2 * \gamma^{-3}[/itex] [itex] = (du '/dt ')* \gamma^{-3}[/itex].

The confusion and apparent contradiction comes about because you have not specified who measures the acceleration and how it is measured.

Last edited:
blkqi: Yup! That's clear enough now, thank you!
kev: I think that last post of yours clears everything I had doubts about! Thank you!

Related to Relativistic Acceleration Contradiction

What is the Relativistic Acceleration Contradiction?

The Relativistic Acceleration Contradiction refers to the apparent contradiction between Newton's laws of motion and Einstein's theory of special relativity when it comes to acceleration. According to Newton's laws, an object's acceleration should increase as the applied force increases. However, according to special relativity, as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and its acceleration decreases, making it impossible to reach the speed of light.

How does special relativity explain the Relativistic Acceleration Contradiction?

According to special relativity, time and space are relative and can be distorted by an object's velocity. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases, and it requires more and more energy to accelerate it further. This increase in mass and energy requirement causes the object's acceleration to decrease, making it impossible to reach the speed of light.

What is the significance of the Relativistic Acceleration Contradiction?

The Relativistic Acceleration Contradiction is significant because it highlights the limitations of Newton's laws of motion and the need for a more comprehensive theory like special relativity. It also demonstrates the fundamental connection between space, time, and velocity in the universe.

Is the Relativistic Acceleration Contradiction observed in everyday life?

No, the Relativistic Acceleration Contradiction is only observed at incredibly high speeds close to the speed of light, which is not achievable in everyday life. However, the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, have been observed and confirmed in experiments.

How does the Relativistic Acceleration Contradiction impact our understanding of the universe?

The Relativistic Acceleration Contradiction is a crucial concept in modern physics that has led to a deeper understanding of the relationship between time, space, and velocity. It has also been instrumental in the development of technologies such as GPS, which rely on precise measurements of time and space. Additionally, it has paved the way for further research and advancements in the field of relativity and cosmology.