Relative Velocity (Two-Demensional Motion and Vectors)-hw help

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of time for a research plane to fly between two research stations in the windiest place on earth, George V Coast in Antarctica. The equation Vac=Vab+Vbc is suggested, but the inclusion of time and the meaning of velocity make it challenging. More assistance is requested.
Tami24

Homework Statement

George V Coast in Antartica is the windiest place on earth. Wind speeds there can reach 300 km/h. If a reasearch plane flies against the wind with a speed of 450 km/h relative to the wind, how long does it take the plane to fly between two reasearch stations that are 250 km apart?

Homework Equations

It says in our notes we should be using the equation
Vac=Vab+Vbc

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what the wind speed is relative to. Also the whole finding time thing is totally throwing me off, because there is no place for time in the equation. I just did a few problems just like this without time in it, and had no problem. But this problem, and the rest of them on my worksheet all use time, and I don't see how that fits into the equation I gave above.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe there are other equations. What does velocity mean? Doesn't it involve time?

dlgoff said:
Maybe there are other equations. What does velocity mean? Doesn't it involve time?

Thats true. Although it will make the problem a lot more complicated, I could probably try to solve it now.

More help is needed though =]

Related to Relative Velocity (Two-Demensional Motion and Vectors)-hw help

1. What is relative velocity and how is it different from absolute velocity?

Relative velocity refers to the velocity of an object in relation to another moving object or reference point. It takes into account the motion of both objects and is measured by their change in position over time. Absolute velocity, on the other hand, refers to the velocity of an object in relation to a fixed reference point or frame of reference.

2. How do you calculate relative velocity in two-dimensional motion?

In two-dimensional motion, relative velocity can be calculated using vector addition. This involves breaking down the velocities of the two objects into their horizontal and vertical components, and then adding them together to determine the overall relative velocity.

3. Can relative velocity be negative?

Yes, relative velocity can be negative. This occurs when the two objects are moving in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for their relative velocity.

4. Can relative velocity be greater than the velocity of either object?

Yes, relative velocity can be greater than the velocity of either object. This can occur when the two objects are moving in the same direction but at different speeds. In this case, the relative velocity will be equal to the difference between the two velocities.

5. How is relative velocity used in real-life scenarios?

Relative velocity is used in various real-life scenarios, such as in navigation and transportation, sports, and astronomy. It helps determine the speed and direction of objects in relation to each other, which is crucial in these fields for predicting and optimizing movement and trajectories.