Relative Velocity, Rigid Body Kinematics

In summary, the problem involves finding the absolute velocity of a moving point on a disk, given its angular velocity and acceleration. The correct formula to use is Va = Woa x Rao + Vrel, where Vrel is the relative velocity tangent to the point. However, the given solution has mixed up the sine and cosine values, resulting in an incorrect answer. By correcting this, the correct absolute velocity is found to be [-(7.5)i+(7.5√3)j]in/s.
allyfranken

Homework Statement

WUDNAsS.jpg

W(oa) = -5k
α(oa) = 3k
B = 30 deg
B(dot) = -2cos 30i + 2sin30j = Vrel
b(double dot) = 4cos30i - 4sin30j)

Homework Equations

Va = Woa x Rao + Vrel

The Attempt at a Solution

This is such a simple problem and I don't know why I am messing it up. I am just trying to figure out the Va part right now. I know the answer from the back is 4.38i + 7.58j

I did Va = W(oa) x R(ao) + Vrel solving for Va.
Va = -5k x 1.25(-cos30i + sin30j) + (-2cos 30i + 2sin30j)
Va = 3.125i + 5.4j - 1.73i - 1j

Va = 1.395i - 4.4j

This is what I am getting for Va but the answer is wrong. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please you explain your reasoning at each step?

So - by "absolute velocity" the mean the linear velocity.
What does the rotation of the disk have to do with the motion of the sphere? Are the beta figures supposed to be wrt the rotating frome of the disk?

In your equations you appear to be making angular velocity and angular acceleration equal to linear velocity and acceleration. What is the relationship between angular velocity and tangential velocity?

Note: sin(30°)=1/2, cos(30°)=(√3)/2

Last edited:
yes by absolute velocity i mean linear velocity.

well I know that if point A was fixed, than Va = Woa x Rao. But since it is moving, Va = Woa x Rao + Vrel. I assume that Vrel is tangent to point A in the direction: 1.255i + 2.18j. and yes angular velocity is clockwise.

Please answer all the questions.

Did you mix up the sin and cos?
Consider, an object on a circular path 5" from the center, angular velocity 3rad/s clockwise, has a tangential velocity 15in/s right? When the angle is position 30deg anticlockwise from the horizontal, the velocity vector makes an angle of 60 degrees clockwise from the horizontal. sin(60)=cos(30).
(draw the pic)

hence: v= [-15sin(30)i+15cos(30)j]in/s = [-(7.5)i+(7.5√3)j]in/s
note: always include the units and you don't have to expand the √3 as 1.7321 until the very end.

Last edited:

Dear student,

It appears that you have made a mistake in your calculation for Va. The correct calculation should be:

Va = -5k x 1.25(-cos30i + sin30j) + (-2cos 30i + 2sin30j)

= -6.25cos30j + 6.25sin30i + (-2cos30i + 2sin30j)

= -2.5j + 3.125i - cos30i + sin30j

= 1.125i - 2.5j

Therefore, the correct answer for Va is 1.125i - 2.5j, which is different from your previous calculation. Make sure to double check your calculations and equations to avoid any mistakes in the future. Keep up the good work!

Related to Relative Velocity, Rigid Body Kinematics

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to another object. It takes into account the motion of both objects and determines their velocity relative to each other.

2. How is relative velocity calculated?

Relative velocity can be calculated by subtracting the velocities of the two objects from each other. This can be done by finding the difference in their x, y, and z components using vector subtraction.

3. What is rigid body kinematics?

Rigid body kinematics is the study of the motion of objects that are considered rigid, meaning they do not deform or change shape. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object as it moves in space.

4. How is rigid body kinematics different from regular kinematics?

Rigid body kinematics differs from regular kinematics in that it takes into account the size and shape of an object. Regular kinematics only considers the motion of a point mass, while rigid body kinematics considers the motion of an entire object.

5. What is the difference between absolute and relative velocity?

Absolute velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to a fixed point or frame of reference. Relative velocity, on the other hand, is the velocity of an object in relation to another moving object. It takes into account the motion of both objects and their relative positions.