Relative Velocity problem: 2 pulleys riveted together

In summary, the homework statement is as follows: Two pulleys are riveted together and a known velocity is applied to them. I need to find the velocity of two other points.
bkw2694

Homework Statement

As shown in the picture, two pulleys are riveted together with a known velocity. I need to find the velocity of two other points.

eq8d5i.jpg

Homework Equations

V_A = VB + <ω> x <BA>

V = ωr

The Attempt at a Solution

I've honestly been trying to figure this one out for over a week, and I'm sure I'll kick myself when I realize how easy it is, but I'm trying to solve by:

V_A = (r_OA)*(ω_OA), using V_A = .9 m/s; r_OA = 90mm, which gives me ω_OA = 10 rad/sec (which I assume ω is equal on the entire pulley since it's riveted together).

Then I used the relative velocity vector formula for A and O:

V_A = V_O + <-10 rad/sec k> x <-.09 m i>
which gives me: .9 m/s j = V_O j + .9 m/s j. Solving with this gives me V_O = 0, which is incorrect. I tried solving for B the same way.

The actual answers are V_O = .6 m/s, and V_B = .849 m/s.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
bkw2694 said:
V_A = (r_OA)*(ω_OA)

This would give the speed of A relative to O, not relative to the earth.

Likes bkw2694
TSny said:
This would give the speed of A relative to O, not relative to the earth.

I thought <w>x<OA> was the speed of A relative to O? I thought the equation was sufficient for finding the actual speed of A? How would I solve for thespeed relative to earth?

bkw2694 said:
I thought <w>x<OA> was the speed of A relative to O?
Yes, it's the speed of A relative to O. But point O is not at rest relative to the earth.
How would I solve for the speed relative to earth?
Can you find a point of the pulley that is instantaneously at rest relative to the earth? Hint: Think about problems where you have rolling without slipping.

Likes bkw2694
TSny said:
Yes, it's the speed of A relative to O. But point O is not at rest relative to the earth. Can you find a point of the pulley that is instantaneously at rest relative to the earth? Hint: Think about problems where you have rolling without slipping.

Ahhhh, I see now. So I just plugged V_O = .18w into the equation and solved for w first. Thanks so much!

OK. Or, you can get ##\omega## from ##V_A = .27 \omega##, since ##V_A## is given.

Likes bkw2694
TSny said:
OK. Or, you can get ##\omega## from ##V_A = .27 \omega##, since ##V_A## is given.

I see that that definitely works mathematically, but I don't understand why it works by looking at the problem. Why is it .27 instead of .18? I don't understand why the distance is .27 when the velocity vector is .18 m away.

Thanks again!

Let point D be the point on the outer rim of the pulley where the string on the right meets the pulley.

Use the fact that ##\vec{V}_A =\vec{V}_D +\vec{V}_{A/D}##.

Attachments

• pulley D.png
    pulley D.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 552
It might help if you consider what happens to a simpler situation where a string raises a single pulley
with one end of the string attached to the ceiling.
In the given problem you have:
V0 = .18 * w where w is the angular velocity
VA = V0 + .09 w
and this is easily solved for w, the angular velocity.

Related to Relative Velocity problem: 2 pulleys riveted together

1. What is relative velocity in the context of pulleys?

Relative velocity refers to the motion of an object with respect to another object. In the case of pulleys riveted together, it is the velocity of one pulley relative to the other.

2. How do you solve a relative velocity problem involving 2 pulleys riveted together?

To solve a relative velocity problem involving 2 pulleys riveted together, you can use the concept of angular velocity. This involves calculating the angular velocities of each pulley and using the relationship between the two to determine the relative velocity.

3. What information is needed to solve a relative velocity problem with 2 pulleys?

In order to solve a relative velocity problem with 2 pulleys, you will need to know the angular velocity of each pulley, the radius of each pulley, and the distance between the two pulleys.

4. Can you use the same method to solve a relative velocity problem with more than 2 pulleys?

Yes, the same concept of angular velocity can be used to solve relative velocity problems with any number of pulleys. However, the calculations may become more complex as the number of pulleys increases.

5. Are there any real-life applications of relative velocity with pulleys?

Yes, relative velocity with pulleys can be applied in various mechanical systems, such as conveyor belts, bicycles, and car engines. It is also used in physics experiments to study rotational motion and dynamics.