Relative Velocity of two swimmers

In summary, two swimmers, Alan and Beth, start together and move at the same speed c, relative to the water, in a stream with a speed v. Alan swims downstream a distance L and then upstream the same distance, while Beth swims perpendicular to the banks of the stream and covers the same distance in the same direction. Alan returns faster than Beth due to his shorter total distance traveled.
JayKo

Homework Statement

Two swimmers, Alan and Beth, start together at the same point on the
bank of a wide stream that flows with a speed v. Both move at the
same speed c (c > v), relative to the water. Alan swims downstream a
distance L and then upstream the same distance. Beth swims so that her
motion relative to the Earth is perpendicular to the banks of the stream.
She swims the distance L and then back the same distance, so that both
swimmers return to the starting point. Which swimmer returns first?
(Note: First guess the answer.)

Homework Equations

relative velocity and vector

The Attempt at a Solution

let time taken for Alan swim for a distance Ta= L / (V+C)

let time taken for Beth swim for a distance Tb= L / [tex]\sqrt{}[/tex]c[tex]^{}2[/tex]+v[tex]^{}2[/tex]

compare this 2 equation, its obvious Alan will took the less time to finish a distance, L. but the question ask distance of 2L. so i am not sure the vector calculation for Beth to swim back to the origin point.

hope someone can help me out.this is my 1st year physics tutorial question.thanks :eek:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JayKo said:
let time taken for Beth swim for a distance Tb= L / [tex]\sqrt{}[/tex]c[tex]^{}2[/tex]+v[tex]^{}2[/tex]

compare this 2 equation, its obvious Alan will took the less time to finish a distance, L. but the question ask distance of 2L. so i am not sure the vector calculation for Beth to swim back to the origin point.

hope someone can help me out.this is my 1st year physics tutorial question.thanks :eek:

you forgot to take in account the return distance?
because they returned back to the same place.

it's from Irodov lol

Last edited:
rootX said:
you forgot to take in account the return distance?
because they returned back to the same place.

it's from Irodov lol

i aware of the return distance which i mention it as 2L.
nonetheless, thank for the tip for Irodov. shall take a look at it carefully.thanks again

Ta= L / (V+C) + L / (V-C)
Tb=2*L/[tex]\sqrt{}[/tex]c[tex]^{}2[/tex]+v[tex]^{}2[/tex]

rootX said:
Ta= L / (V+C) + L / (V-C)
Tb=2*L/[tex]\sqrt{}[/tex]c[tex]^{}2[/tex]+v[tex]^{}2[/tex]

yupe, i got it.thanks :D

Related to Relative Velocity of two swimmers

1. What is relative velocity of two swimmers?

The relative velocity of two swimmers is the velocity of one swimmer with respect to the other swimmer. It takes into account both the speed and direction of each swimmer.

2. How is relative velocity of two swimmers calculated?

The relative velocity of two swimmers can be calculated using vector addition. The velocities of each swimmer are represented as vectors, and the relative velocity is the sum of these vectors.

3. What factors can affect the relative velocity of two swimmers?

The relative velocity of two swimmers can be affected by factors such as the speed and direction of each swimmer, the presence of currents or waves, and the distance between the swimmers.

4. Can the relative velocity of two swimmers ever be negative?

Yes, the relative velocity of two swimmers can be negative if one swimmer is moving in the opposite direction of the other swimmer. This means that they are moving away from each other rather than towards each other.

5. How is relative velocity of two swimmers useful in swimming competitions?

Relative velocity of two swimmers is useful in swimming competitions as it helps coaches and athletes determine the most efficient way to swim in order to achieve the fastest time. It can also be used to analyze and improve the performance of each swimmer in relation to their competitors.