Relative Velocity boat problem

In summary: If he aims it directly across, it will take four times as long. If he aims it at the angle that counteracts the current, it will only take twice as long. So, aiming the boat at the angle that counteracts the current is the best option.In summary, by aiming the boat at the angle that counteracts the current, he will minimize the time it takes to cross the river.

Homework Statement

A man can row a boat at 4 m/s in still water. The current in a river is 2 m/s. The river is 40 m wide. If he wants to cross the river in the smallest possible time at what direction should he aim the boat?

Given:
V[B,E] = 4m/s
V[W,E] = 2 m/s

Down is negative.

Homework Equations

V[B,W] = V[B,E] + - V[W,E]

The Attempt at a Solution

V[B,E]:
-V[B,E] (Boat is going West in my drawing, so I made that negative)

V[W,E]:
-V[W,E] (Current is down... so negative)Then:

V[B,W] = -V[B,E] i + V[W,E] j (component form)

tan theta = -2/4

theta = 26.6 degrees.Nowhere in there, did I minimize time though. Where did I go wrong?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the question specify whether he needs to cross so that he winds up directly across from where he started? Because if so, you would just find the angle such that (if you take "across" to be the positive x direction) the y-component of his velocity is the negative of the current's velocity.

If not, then I would think he should just point straight across the stream. (Remember, the current flows along the stream, but the path across it is perpendicular to the stream.)

WJSwanson said:
Does the question specify whether he needs to cross so that he winds up directly across from where he started? Because if so, you would just find the angle such that (if you take "across" to be the positive x direction) the y-component of his velocity is the negative of the current's velocity.

If not, then I would think he should just point straight across the stream. (Remember, the current flows along the stream, but the path across it is perpendicular to the stream.)

No, he can land anywhere on the other side. It doesn't need to be directly across from where he started.

Well, then, since the current flows perpendicular to the boat's displacement, the best way to maximize the x-component of the boat's velocity would be to just aim it straight across, unless there's some detail I'm missing.

I am a learner too and I do not know if this is correct, but the shortest distance is vertically across. But since the current is flowing let us say due east with some velocity, should not the boat be aimed at some angle NW so that the net displacement is along due North, the shortest distance?

The shortest total distance is directly across, yes. However, assuming that the distance across is the same everywhere, you minimize the time interval by maximizing the *vector component* in the direction of the opposite side of the river.

You can confirm this by calculating the time it takes if he aims the boat directly across versus if he aims it at the angle that counteracts the current.

Related to Relative Velocity boat problem

What is relative velocity in a boat problem?

Relative velocity in a boat problem refers to the speed and direction of an object (such as a boat) relative to another object (such as the shore or another boat). It takes into account both the velocities of the objects and their directions of motion.

How is relative velocity calculated in a boat problem?

In a boat problem, relative velocity can be calculated by finding the difference between the velocities of the two objects and taking into account their directions of motion. This can be done using vector addition or using the formula Vr = V1 - V2, where Vr is the relative velocity, V1 is the velocity of the first object, and V2 is the velocity of the second object.

What factors affect relative velocity in a boat problem?

The factors that affect relative velocity in a boat problem include the velocities of the objects, their directions of motion, and any external forces acting on the objects (such as wind or currents). The relative velocity can also be affected by the angle at which the objects are moving in relation to each other.

How can relative velocity be used to solve a boat problem?

Relative velocity can be used to solve a boat problem by helping to determine the speed and direction of one object relative to another. It can also be used to calculate the time it takes for one object to catch up to or overtake another object, as well as the distance between the objects at any given time.

What are some real-world applications of relative velocity in boat problems?

Relative velocity in boat problems has several real-world applications, such as in navigation, marine transportation, and recreational boating. It can also be used in search and rescue operations, where the relative velocity of a boat and a person in the water is important in determining their location and how to reach them.