Relative velocity and momentum

Yes, in some cases, you would need to consider the momentum of the pack after it was thrown. However, in this case, the question specifically asks for the initial momentum of the system, before the pack was thrown. This means you only need to consider the momentum of the boy and the bike.In summary, the problem involves a boy named Tony who is riding a bike with a constant speed of 6 m/s while carrying a 12 kg pack. Tony throws the pack forward in the direction of his motion at a relative speed of 2 m/s to the bike's speed just before the throw. The question asks for the initial momentum of the system, which includes Tony, the bike, and the pack, in units of kg
Maiia

Homework Statement

Tony (of mass 50kg)coasts on his bicycle (of mass 5 kg)at a constant speed of 6m/s, carrying a 12 kg pack. Tony throws his pack forward, in the direction of his motion, at 2m/s relative to the speed of the bicycle just before the throw. What is the initial momentum of the system (Tony, the bicycle, and the pack)?
Answer in units of kgm/s.

Does relative velocity here mean that the pack is actually moving at 8m/s?I'm a little confused as to what relative velocity is. To get initial momentum, I would just add all their momentums together, right?Because they have different speeds? Because I don't think I would be able to add their masses together and multiply by the velocity.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, relative to the speed of the bike just means that you should imagine that the bike is at rest and the Earth is moving 6 m/s backward. So, yes, the pack is moving at 8 m/s relative to the earth. However, are you sure this is relevant to the question that the problem asks?

hmm i guess not b/c the pack should be moving at the same speed as the boy and the bike..but it would be if i were asked to find the momentum of the system after the pack was thrown i think..

Maiia said:
... it would be if i were asked to find the momentum of the system after the pack was thrown i think..
Careful ...

Related to Relative velocity and momentum

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to another object. It takes into account the motion of both objects and is measured as the difference in their velocities.

2. How is relative velocity calculated?

Relative velocity can be calculated by subtracting the velocity of one object from the velocity of another object. This gives the relative velocity between the two objects.

3. What is the difference between relative velocity and absolute velocity?

Relative velocity takes into account the motion of two objects, while absolute velocity is the velocity of an object relative to a fixed reference point. Absolute velocity does not take into account the motion of other objects.

4. How does relative velocity affect momentum?

Relative velocity affects momentum by impacting the amount of force needed to change an object's velocity. When two objects have different relative velocities, their momentum will also be different.

5. Can relative velocity be negative?

Yes, relative velocity can be negative. This occurs when the two objects are moving in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for their relative velocity.