Relative motion with angular velocity

In summary: Thanks!I was able to solve this problem by finding that vector from B to the axis of rotation and then taking this vector (r) and crossing it with the angular velocity vector w.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

hqsR7.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Do note I switched up the i, j and k vectors.

XMKP9.jpg

I am getting half the answer correct. -7.2 is correct according to the answer key but my other solution -3.24 is clearly wrong. Does anyone know what I did wrong? I tried to be neat as possible, if anyone is not able to follow please ask me about what I did.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your initial vectors defining the points A and D in the problem. Your vectors don't match with the picture defining the problem. So the components your getting are likely wrong.

klawlor419 said:
Check your initial vectors defining the points A and D in the problem. Your vectors don't match with the picture defining the problem. So the components your getting are likely wrong.

Where did I make the mistake :S I don't see why A and D are wrong.

Look at the x-y-z axes in the picture you drew by hand and the axes in original picture of the problem! And remember that rotation is about the diagonal, connecting the ball bearings and that v = ω cross r

This should be enough to solve the problem

klawlor419 said:
Look at the x-y-z axes in the picture you drew by hand and the axes in original picture of the problem! And remember that rotation is about the diagonal, connecting the ball bearings and that v = ω cross r

This should be enough to solve the problem

Okay I just redid it with
A = (0, 0.12, 0.09)
D = (0.2, 0 , 0)
A-D = (-0.2, 0.12, 0.09)
unit_vector_A-D = (-0.8, 0.48, 0.36)

Then I repeated the steps I took in the Relative Motion section of my answer and I got the same thing except this time I had -3.24i -7.2k. I think maybe my r_B/C vector is wrong? I am not sure.So I switched the axis so it would match with the question but it seems like it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Try this, so you now have the vector w determined. Ok good, now calculate the distance if point B off the axis of rotation. Now take the cross product. Don't worry about relative velocity, I don't think this problem needs to consider that.

klawlor419 said:
Try this, so you now have the vector w determined. Ok good, now calculate the distance if point B off the axis of rotation. Now take the cross product. Don't worry about relative velocity, I don't think this problem needs to consider that.

Thanks! I was able to solve this problem by finding that vector from B to the axis of rotation and then taking this vector (r) and crossing it with the angular velocity vector w.

Does anyone know where I can learn about v = w x r? I am still a bit confused about why you use the cross product in this equation. These concepts are new to me and are concepts I must learn on my own. I tried to find a good explanation in the textbook but with no success.

Wikipedia has a decent article on cross products. Taylors Classical mechanics is good too

Related to Relative motion with angular velocity

1. What is relative motion in physics?

Relative motion in physics refers to the movement of an object in relation to another object. It takes into account the position, direction, and velocity of both objects and how they are affected by each other's movement.

2. How is relative motion calculated?

Relative motion is calculated by using the concept of vector addition. This involves breaking down the motion of each object into its x and y components and then adding them together to find the net motion. The direction and magnitude of the resultant vector can then be determined.

3. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating or spinning around a fixed axis. It is usually represented by the Greek letter omega (ω) and is measured in radians per second.

4. How is angular velocity related to relative motion?

In cases where there is rotational motion involved, angular velocity is used to describe the relative motion between two objects. This is because the speed and direction of rotation can affect the overall motion of the objects in relation to each other.

5. Can relative motion and angular velocity be applied in real-life situations?

Yes, relative motion and angular velocity are concepts that are used in various fields such as engineering, astronomy, and even sports. For example, in car racing, the relative motion between the cars and their angular velocity can determine the outcome of a race.