Relative Motion vs Time: Paradox Explained

In summary, the author introduces the concept of relativity of simultaneity, which is integral to developing a proper understanding of the subject. Without understanding this concept, everything learned about relativity will be either incorrect or puzzling. The author also provides a FAQ on the twin paradox and Doppler-shift answer.
EspressoDan
Hi,

I'm reading a book explaining relativity. I previously understood the subject in layman's terms but am now confused.

The author has introduced relative motion in an invariant universe with the concept that motion through space is only relative to the observer.

Given this, I'm now struggling with the traditional 'man travels from Earth on spaceship and time slows for him relative to the observer on Earth' effect.

If motion is relative then why isn't the observer on Earth equally traveling away from the ship (ie ship is stationery relative to Earth in it's reference)? Why doesn't the man on the ship observe time passing more slowly on earth?

I realize that this is a paradox, but I can't figure it out. Confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
EspressoDan said:
If motion is relative then why isn't the observer on Earth equally travel away from the ship (ie ship is stationery relative to Earth in it's reference) and the man on the ship observe time passing more slowly on earth?
As long as the ship is just moving away from the earth, that is exactly what happens: The man on the ship finds that the moving earth-based clocks are running slow compared to his clock, while the people on Earth finds that the moving spaceship clock is running slow compared to their clock. This apparent paradox in time dilation is resolved by the relativity of simultaneity; we have many other threads here that discuss this. Here is one; post #10 of this thread is another; and we have many many more.

The Twin Paradox in which the spaceship turns around and returns to Earth is a completely different problem. The traveller will have experienced less time and aged less on the journey, even though at all times both stay-at-home and traveller agree that the other one is moving relative to them so has the "slow" clock. For a detailed explanation of this problem you should try the Twin Paradox FAQ.

Last edited:
Thanks. You need to know what paradox you're worrying about to know what paradox you're worrying about!

The FAQ was useful, the Doppler-shift answer worked for me.

Likes Dale
EspressoDan said:
Hi,

I'm reading a book explaining relativity. I previously understood the subject in layman's terms but am now confused.

If you are learning SR from a proper textbook, then it may be an idea to clear your mind of everything you thought you knew about the subject "in layman's terms". It's more than likely that anything you think you already know will turn out to be a hindrance to a proper understanding of the subject.

In my experience, layman's guides to special relativity rarely mention the concept of the relativity of simultaneity, or only in passing without much explanation. I personally find that this concept is actually quite integral to developing anything approaching an intuitive understanding of the subject. Without that understanding, everything you learn about relativity will either be understood incorrectly (ie not realizing that *both* sides of the twin paradox see the other's clock tick more slowly), or just sound completely contradictory or perplexing (ie how can they both see the other's clock ticking more slowly? that doesn't make sense!). It's also possibly the hardest concept to really internalize. The idea that there is a single moment that is "now" for everyone everywhere is so instinctually ingrained in us that it becomes very challenging to accept an idea that contradicts that.

Related to Relative Motion vs Time: Paradox Explained

1. What is relative motion in physics?

Relative motion in physics refers to the movement of an object in relation to another object or reference point. It takes into account both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

2. How does relative motion differ from absolute motion?

Relative motion takes into account the movement of an object in relation to a reference point, while absolute motion refers to the movement of an object in relation to a fixed point, such as the Earth's surface. In other words, relative motion is dependent on the observer's frame of reference, while absolute motion is not.

3. What is the concept of time dilation in relative motion?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass at a different rate for objects that are moving relative to each other. This is due to the fact that the speed of light is constant and the laws of physics dictate that time and space are relative to an observer's frame of reference.

4. How does the twin paradox demonstrate the concept of time dilation?

The twin paradox is a thought experiment that demonstrates the effects of time dilation in relative motion. In this scenario, one twin stays on Earth while the other travels at high speeds in a spaceship. When the traveling twin returns, they will have aged less than the twin who stayed on Earth, due to the effects of time dilation.

5. Can you provide an example of relative motion in everyday life?

An example of relative motion in everyday life is when you are sitting in a moving car. From the perspective of someone outside the car, you are moving at a certain speed. However, from your own perspective inside the car, you may feel like you are not moving at all. This is because your frame of reference is different from the observer's outside the car.