Relative Motion problem that doesn't have right triangle relationship

In summary, the student was lost and needed help solving a relative motion problem. He found two methods, one using the Law of Sines and Cosines and one using the ijk method. Neither method was easy, and he was left with one unknown.
Daizin

Homework Statement

REuTv.png

a) Find the speed of the boat with respect to the Earth. (km/h)

b) Find the speed of the boat with respect to the river if the boat's heading in the water is 60° south east (km/h)

Homework Equations

v(x) = v cos(θ)
v(y) = v sin(θ)
v = √(vx^2+vy^2) but can't use it in here because it is not a right trangle :(
θ = tan^-1 (vy/vx)

The Attempt at a Solution

I would have easily solved this problem if only I had one unknown. I am completely lost. I barely have any idea on what I am doing. I would love to hear an explanation of each step because I really want to know how to do these sort of problems when the formed triangle isn't a right triangle and when there are two unknowns.

What I have so far is that
V of the boat with respect to the river = V br
V of the boat with respect to the Earth = V be
V of river with respect to the Earth = V re

V be = V br + V re

V br (x) = ? sin(43) ; V br (y) = ? cos(43)
V be (x) = ? ; V be (y) = ?
V re (x) = 5.4 ; V re (y) = 0

We've never learned this but after researching on the solution I found out how to solve relative motion problems that don't have a right triangle with ijk vector component addition. Another method was also through Law of Sines and Cosines. What I came up with was:

ijk method:
V be = V br + V re
V re = 5.4i; V br = cos(60)i + V br sin(60)j; Vbe = V be cos (43)i + V be sin (43)j

Law of Sines and Cosines method:
V be^2 = V br^2 + V re^2 - 2 * V br * V re * cos 163

This might be incorrect since I barely have any idea about what I am doing. Anyways, even with just plugin it in I still don't know how I can I simplify it to solve it since I still have 2 unknowns.

How can I solve this problem, somebody help D:

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that the velocities are vectors and add together by components. Taking the positive x-axis pointing to East, and the y-axis pointing to South, the velocity of the boat with respect to the river is V =Vcos(60°)i + Vsin(60°)j, and the velocity of the river is Vr=5.4 i, the velocity of the boat with respect to the ground Vg=V+Vr =Vgcos(43°)i+Vgssin(43°)j. (bold means vectors)

Compare both the x and y components of the vector sum. You get two equations for the unknowns V and Vg.

ehild

can you explain a little bit further in, I've never done anything like this, we didn't study ijk method at all in class before. I feel really stupid, but none of this really make sense to me

Daizin said:
ijk method:
V be = V br + V re
V re = 5.4i
V br = cos(60)i + V br sin(60)j; Vbe = V be cos (43)i + V be sin (43)j
You wrote: V be = V br + V re
re-arranging, gives V br = V be - V re

Use this relation to determine Vbr components:
i component: Vbe cos 43° - 5.4
j component: Vbe sin 43°

and it is given that tan 60° = (j component) ÷ (i component)
leaving you with one equation in one unknown, solve for Vbe

The question as presented seems a bit misleading. You can't find a unique solution to (a) without needing the information on the 60° path contained in (b).

Daizin said:
can you explain a little bit further in, I've never done anything like this, we didn't study ijk method at all in class before. I feel really stupid, but none of this really make sense to me

Have you solved such problems concerning vector addition with the Cosine and Sine Laws?

Yo can find the angles of the shaded triangle in the picture.

ehild

Attachments

• riverboat.JPG
    riverboat.JPG
    5.9 KB · Views: 616

Related to Relative Motion problem that doesn't have right triangle relationship

1. What is relative motion?

Relative motion is the difference in motion between two objects or observers. It is the measurement of how one object or observer appears to move in relation to another object or observer.

2. How is relative motion different from absolute motion?

Absolute motion is the measurement of an object's motion in relation to a fixed point, while relative motion is the measurement of an object's motion in relation to another object or observer. Absolute motion is constant and does not depend on the observer, while relative motion is dependent on the observer's perspective.

3. What is a "right triangle relationship" in a relative motion problem?

A right triangle relationship refers to a scenario where the motion of two objects can be represented by the sides of a right triangle. In this case, the Pythagorean theorem can be used to solve for the missing values.

4. How do you solve a relative motion problem that doesn't have a right triangle relationship?

In a relative motion problem without a right triangle relationship, other mathematical formulas such as the law of cosines or the law of sines can be used to solve for the unknown values. Alternatively, vector addition can also be used to solve the problem.

5. Can relative motion be observed in everyday life?

Yes, relative motion can be observed in everyday life. For example, when driving a car, the motion of the car may seem different to the driver than to a person standing on the side of the road. This is due to the relative motion between the car and the observer on the side of the road.