Relative Motion of River in Two Dimensions

In summary, at an angle of 53.67 degrees relative to the direction of the river's flow, a boat travelling at a constant speed of 3.8 m/s will cross the river in 109.9 seconds.
johndoe3344
A 340-m-wide river has a uniform flow speed of 0.84 m/s through a jungle and toward the east. An explorer wishes to leave a small clearing on the south bank and cross the river in a powerboat that moves at a constant speed of 3.8 m/s with respect to the water. There is a clearing on the north bank 65 m upstream from a point directly opposite the clearing on the south bank. (a) At what angle, measured relative to the direction of flow of the river, must the boat be pointed in order to travel in a straight line and land in the clearing on the north bank? (b) How long will the boat take to cross the river and land in the clearing?

--

I figured that I would take the velocity of the powerboat, which is 3.8 m/s and resolve it into the x and y components. I let theta be the angle that (a) is trying to find, and I resolved it into 3.8 cos(theta). Taking into consideration the velocity of the river, the final velocity in the x direction is 3.8 cos(theta) + 0.84. I do the same thing for y, giving 3.8 sin(theta).

I now figure that the boat must travel the x distance and the y distance in the same amount of time. So I get the two equations:

t[3.8cos(theta)+0.84] = 340
t[3.8sin(theta)] = 65

I solve for t and theta and get 109.9s and 53.67 degrees. However, that's not the right answer. What's wrong with my reasoning?

Physics news on Phys.org
The 0.84 m/s should be added to the eastward and not to the northward motion.

I did add it to the eastward motion, didn't I?

johndoe3344 said:
I did add it to the eastward motion, didn't I?
You are right. I was considering the angle measured relative to north.
What you have changed are the distances. You should have:
[tex]t[3.8cos(\theta)+0.84] = 65[/tex] (The clearings are 65 m apart in the east direction)
[tex]t3.8sin(\theta) = 340[/tex] (The width of the river)

Related to Relative Motion of River in Two Dimensions

1. What is the relative motion of a river in two dimensions?

The relative motion of a river in two dimensions refers to the movement of the river in relation to a fixed point or reference frame. It takes into account both the horizontal and vertical components of the river's motion.

2. How is the relative motion of a river in two dimensions calculated?

The relative motion of a river in two dimensions is calculated using vector analysis. This involves breaking down the river's motion into its horizontal and vertical components and calculating the magnitude and direction of each component.

3. What factors can affect the relative motion of a river in two dimensions?

The relative motion of a river in two dimensions can be affected by various factors such as the speed and direction of the river's flow, the shape and slope of the river bed, and external forces such as wind and tides.

4. How does the relative motion of a river in two dimensions impact navigation?

The relative motion of a river in two dimensions is important for navigation as it helps determine the course and speed of a boat or ship. It also affects the time it takes to travel between two points on the river and the amount of fuel needed for the journey.

5. Can the relative motion of a river in two dimensions be predicted?

Yes, the relative motion of a river in two dimensions can be predicted using mathematical models and data such as flow rate, water level, and river bed characteristics. However, it can also be affected by unpredictable factors such as sudden changes in weather or river conditions.