Relative motion involving vectors(kinematics)

In summary, the problem involves determining the time at which the separation between Ship A and Ship B is least. This can be solved using the equation V_ab = V_b - V_a, where V_ab is the velocity of A with respect to B and V_a or V_b is the velocity of that ship. The position vector of A with respect to B is (2.8-31.95t)i + (3.5-46.07t)j. The distance between the two ships can be calculated using the relative position vector and can be minimized to find the answer.
Jharr94

Homework Statement

Ship A is located 3.5 km north and 2.8 km east of ship B. Ship A has a velocity of 22 km/h toward the south and ship B has a velocity of 40 km/h in a direction 37° north of east.

At what time is the separation between the ships least?

Homework Equations

V_ab=V_b-V_a
Where V_ab is the velocity of a with respect to b and V_a or V_b is the velocity of that ship.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking this part of the problem involves relative motion as well as kinematics, however I can't find out how to get the LEAST distance, the only thing I can think is when the positions are equal, which they should never be however,

I've found the position vector of a with respect to b as:

(2.8-31.95t)i+(3.5-46.07t)j=r_fab (r_fab is final position of a with respect to b)

from this I'm stuck as to where to go, I don't know how to find the LEAST distance between the two, I tried setting the position equations equal to each other( r_b=r_ab) but I can't seem to find answer because there are two different times for the x component and the y component.

Help please, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the relative position vector is (a+ bt)i+ (c+ dt)j, then the distance between them is [itex]\sqrt{(a+bt)^2+ (c+ dt)^2}[/itex]. Do you know how to minimize that?

Great job on using the correct equations for relative motion involving vectors. To find the least distance between the ships, you will need to use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the relative position vector (r_fab). This will give you the distance between the two ships at any given time.

To find the time at which the separation between the ships is the least, you will need to differentiate the magnitude of r_fab with respect to time and set it equal to zero. This will give you the time at which the separation is at a minimum.

Alternatively, you can also use the concept of minimum and maximum points on a graph to determine the time at which the separation is the least. Plot the magnitude of r_fab as a function of time and find the point on the graph where the slope is zero. This will also give you the time at which the separation is at a minimum.

I hope this helps you solve the problem. Keep up the good work!

Related to Relative motion involving vectors(kinematics)

1. What is relative motion involving vectors?

Relative motion involving vectors is the study of the motion of objects in relation to each other, taking into account both their magnitude and direction. It is an important concept in kinematics, which is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. How is relative motion different from absolute motion?

Relative motion involves describing the motion of an object with respect to another object, while absolute motion describes the motion of an object in relation to a fixed point, usually the Earth. This means that relative motion takes into account the motion of the observer, while absolute motion does not.

3. What is a vector in the context of relative motion?

A vector is a mathematical representation of a physical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. In the context of relative motion, vectors are used to describe the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of objects in relation to each other.

4. How is relative velocity calculated?

Relative velocity is calculated by subtracting the velocity of one object from the velocity of another object. This takes into account the motion of the observer and gives a more accurate representation of the motion of the objects in relation to each other.

5. How does relative motion affect collisions?

Relative motion plays a crucial role in understanding collisions between objects. In a collision, the velocities of the objects involved are added or subtracted, depending on the direction of their motion. The resulting relative velocity can then be used to determine the outcome of the collision.