Relative Motion Homework Problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of relative motion by using the example of a plane flying with a tailwind. The resulting velocity of the plane is determined by adding the velocity of the wind to the velocity of the plane. The equation used to calculate this resultant velocity is oVe =oVm+ mVe, where oVe is the resultant velocity, oVm is the velocity of the medium (air), and mVe is the velocity of the object (plane). It is important to note that for consistency, the variables should be labeled as planeVwind and windVground instead of planeVair and windVair.
rasofia77

Homework Statement

"To illustrate this principle, consider a plane flying amidst a tailwind. A tailwind is merely a wind that approaches the plane from behind, thus increasing its resulting velocity. If the plane is traveling at a velocity of 100 km/hr with respect to the air, and if the wind velocity is 25 km/hr, then what is the velocity of the plane relative to an observer on the ground below? The resultant velocity of the plane (that is, the result of the wind velocity contributing to the velocity due to the plane's motor) is the vector sum of the velocity of the plane and the velocity of the wind. This resultant velocity is quite easily determined if the wind approaches the plane directly from behind. As shown in the diagram below, the plane travels with a resulting velocity of 125 km/hr relative to the ground."

Homework Equations

oVe =oVm+ mVe (object,medium,earth)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know, it gives the answer- it's from a website (I'm trying to understand relative motion). Okay, now how would I put all of that in the equation below? All I could come up with is planeVair=100, windVair=25, what is planeVground...but I can't put those three into one equation because the objects/mediums aren't the same. So how would I?

[Mod note: Template headers added]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You write windVair. Should be windVground.

For consistency, planeVair should be planeVwind.

Related to Relative Motion Homework Problem?

1. What is relative motion?

Relative motion refers to the motion of an object with respect to another object. It is the measurement of an object's position, speed, and direction in relation to a reference point or frame of reference.

2. How do I solve a relative motion homework problem?

To solve a relative motion homework problem, you need to first identify the objects involved and their initial positions, speeds, and directions. Then, use the appropriate formulas to calculate their final positions, speeds, and directions. It is important to choose a consistent frame of reference and use vector addition or subtraction to find the relative motion between the objects.

3. What are some common misconceptions about relative motion?

One common misconception about relative motion is that it is the same as absolute motion. However, absolute motion refers to an object's motion in relation to a fixed point, while relative motion is the motion between two objects. Another misconception is that relative motion is always linear, when in reality it can be both linear and circular.

4. Can you give an example of a relative motion homework problem?

Yes, an example of a relative motion homework problem could be: A car is traveling north at a speed of 60 km/h and passes a truck traveling east at a speed of 50 km/h. What is the relative motion of the truck with respect to the car?

5. What are some real-life applications of relative motion?

Relative motion has many real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. It is used to calculate the motion of planets and satellites in space, to design and control vehicles in transportation, and to track and predict the movement of weather patterns. It is also used in sports to analyze the motion of athletes and in everyday situations such as driving and walking.