Relative magnetic field direction question

In summary, the magnetic field is frame variant, meaning that both its magnitude and direction will be different for different observers. This is due to the magnetic field transforming according to a specific equation. In the rest frame of the electrons, a stationary magnet will not affect the electrons because there is no net force. However, in our frame, the moving magnet will produce an electric field that counteracts the magnetic force on the electrons, resulting in no net force.
ealbers
Sorry for what is probably a silly question...

Lets say we go into deep space, we place a string of electrons along say the X axis...all stationary relative to each other.

Say we place 100 electrons from -50 to +50 using whatever units you want

Now, you start from -50 and travel to 0
I start from +50 and travel to 0

We each indicate to a 3rd observer the orientation of the magnetic field we observe...

Is it true that we would each point in a different direction??

I would see the magnetic field opposite from you?

If so, how would a magnet sitting in the stationary frame of reference of the electrons effect them?

Thanks, again, apologies for a ignorant question

Eric

Physics news on Phys.org
ealbers said:
Is it true that we would each point in a different direction??
Yes, the magnetic field is frame variant, both its magnitude and its direction.

ealbers said:
I would see the magnetic field opposite from you?
No. The magnetic field transforms according to:
[tex]\mathbf {{B}_{\parallel}}' = \mathbf {{B}_{\parallel}}[/tex][tex]\mathbf {{B}_{\bot}}'= \gamma \left( \mathbf {B}_{\bot} -\frac{1}{c^2} \mathbf{ v} \times \mathbf {E} \right) [/tex]

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_electromagnetism_and_special_relativity

Please forgive my ignorance on this,

If we would each point a different direction, how would a stationary magnet (relative to the electrons) effect the electrons?

Or would the magnetic fields which we each see not intereact with the stationary (relative to electrons, but not us) magnet?

I guess my real question was,

If a stationary electron has no magnetic field...and a magnet is 'near' it...what happens when my frame of reference is moving? I see a field around the electron, I see a field around the magnet, do they not interact? (Orientation with 2 observers makes me wonder about the direction the electron would move, if it moves)

Thanks
Eric

Last edited:
ealbers said:
If we would each point a different direction, how would a stationary magnet (relative to the electrons) effect the electrons?

Or would the magnetic fields which we each see not intereact with the stationary (relative to electrons, but not us) magnet?
A magnet which is stationary wrt the electrons would not affect them at all.

In the rest frame of the magnet/electrons it is because the electrons are not moving and therefore there is no magnetic force.

In our frame the moving magnet also makes an electric field which exactly counteracts the magnetic force and leads to no net force on the electrons from the magnet.

Ahhh! Thank you!

Related to Relative magnetic field direction question

1. What is a relative magnetic field direction?

A relative magnetic field direction is the direction in which a magnetic field is oriented in relation to a given reference point. This can be described as north or south, or in terms of degrees from a specific direction.

2. How is a relative magnetic field direction measured?

The relative magnetic field direction is measured using a compass or a magnetometer, which can detect the strength and direction of a magnetic field. This data can then be used to determine the relative direction of the magnetic field.

3. Can the relative magnetic field direction change?

Yes, the relative magnetic field direction can change over time. This is due to the movement of the Earth's molten iron core, which creates the Earth's magnetic field. The direction and strength of this field can change slowly over time, and can also be affected by external factors such as solar storms.

4. How does the relative magnetic field direction affect navigation?

The relative magnetic field direction is an important factor in navigation, as it can be used to determine direction. This is particularly useful for sailors and pilots who use compasses to navigate. However, it is important to account for any changes in the magnetic field over time to ensure accurate navigation.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the relative magnetic field direction?

In addition to the Earth's molten iron core, other factors such as the location on the Earth's surface and nearby geological features can also affect the relative magnetic field direction. This is why magnetic maps are constantly updated to reflect any changes in the magnetic field in a particular area.