Relationship Of Physics And Theorems

In summary, the role of theorems in physics is to provide a framework for understanding and describing natural phenomena. These theorems are based on assumptions about reality and lead to testable results. Equations used in physics contain defined quantities or possess uncertainties, including fundamental constants. Ultimately, the goal is to create coherent theories that accurately explain the physical world.
BOAS
Hello,

this question is born out of my first semester of lab coursework where for the first time, I was properly introduced to understanding error propagation.

I'll get right to the question and expand upon it afterwards.

What is the role of theorems in physics?

I've heard people go on and on about how proof is for mathematics and alcohol, but clearly they do have a place in physics, and not just in the maths classes. To take a simple example, the work-energy theorem states that W = K.Ef - K.Ei. I'm aware of how one arrives at this by bringing together a number of ideas, but not the actual proof, though that's not really what I'm trying to get at.

So, when doing an experiment I measure my quantities involved and estimate the uncertainties in their values and propagate the errors accordingly. But, this does assume that the equations used to relate ideas together are 'true'.

I really don't want to have a discussion about "what if all of it is wrong", because I understand that theories get shown to be inadequate, we make better ones and move on. But what I do wish to know, is how do we come up with theorems that describe the natural world when there is uncertainty in all the quantities.

One solution to my question that would make some sense is that certain quantities are defined. Momentum is mass * velocity and so on.

Thanks for reading, I hope my points are clear.

BOAS

Physics news on Phys.org
The general idea is to try to put together coherent theories to describe physical phenomena. The theory starts with certain assumptions about reality and theorems deduced from these assumptions lead to testable results.

Simple example - special relativity: Assume the speed of light is constant in all inertial reference frames - from this the Lorentz transformation and the mass-energy equivalence can be deduced.

Equations contain quantities are either defined (like work, momentum, etc.) or themselves possesses an uncertainty.

Even fundamental constants have uncertainties based on how well we can measure them.

Claude.

Related to Relationship Of Physics And Theorems

What is the relationship between physics and theorems?

Theorems are mathematical statements that are proven to be true. In physics, these theorems are used to describe and explain the behavior of physical phenomena. This relationship allows physicists to predict and understand the world around us.

How does physics use theorems?

Physics uses theorems to develop theories and laws that can be tested and verified through experiments. These theorems provide a mathematical framework for understanding the fundamental principles of physics.

What role do theorems play in the scientific method?

The scientific method involves making observations, formulating hypotheses, and conducting experiments to test these hypotheses. Theorems are used in the formulation of hypotheses and in the analysis of experimental data, helping to support or reject a particular theory.

Can physics exist without theorems?

No, physics relies heavily on mathematical theorems to describe and understand the natural world. Theorems provide a precise and quantitative way of expressing physical laws and theories. Without theorems, it would be much more difficult to make accurate predictions and advancements in physics.

Are all physical phenomena explained by theorems?

Not all physical phenomena are explained by theorems. Some phenomena, such as chaotic systems, may not have a precise mathematical description. However, theorems play a crucial role in understanding the majority of physical phenomena and are essential in the development of new theories and technologies.