Relationship between turbulence and freezing?

In summary: Yes. Water density decreases as temperatures decrease below 3.9°C, so that the colder waters rise to the surface. There, depending upon salinity, they remain liquid until the freezing point is reached. Since these waters never get much colder than -2°C, they are the warmest environments around in the polar areas.
johnnykatz
How fast do i need to pump water in a 10" aluminum pipe to prevent freezing? Assume 32*F inlet temp and 0*F ambient . For my conditions, the temps will vary and T ambient easily gets down to -20*F or more.

Physics news on Phys.org
The conditions you gave are just at singularity: 32F is a freezing point, so even smallest amount of heat lost to environment causes freezing.

But even if you ask about inlet water at +1C - the situation still depends on environmental conditions (esp. wind, but also if your pipe gets covered by frost).

Practical answer is: never use uninsulated aluminum pipes to pump cold water if ambient temperature is likely to drop much below 0C :frown:

johnnykatz said:
How fast do i need to pump water in a 10" aluminum pipe to prevent freezing? Assume 32*F inlet temp and 0*F ambient . For my conditions, the temps will vary and T ambient easily gets down to -20*F or more.

Why do you think that moving water does not freeze. As a native of Michigan, I can tell you that it freezes quite readily whenever temperature drop below 0°C and icing nuclei are present--moving or not moving.

I understand the practical answer and the additional heat loss concepts.
My question aims at how the nature of turbulence affects the freezing point. From my observations, it is much harder to freeze turbulent water (fast moving streams in sub zero temps, ocean water, etc)
Couldn't the concept of supercooling apply here?

Last edited:
Turbulence has no effect at all.

Effect on fast rivers and ocean is only such, that if they mix, they just drop some temperature in the whole volume, which is large enough to keep them liquid, while still rivers freeze on their surfaces, while close to bottom the water remain at +3C or so.

But even dramatically turbulent water (like waterfalls) freeze - you may see that in northern mountain regions.

xts said:
Turbulence has no effect at all.

Effect on fast rivers and ocean is only such, that if they mix, they just drop some temperature in the whole volume, which is large enough to keep them liquid, while still rivers freeze on their surfaces, while close to bottom the water remain at +3C or so.

But even dramatically turbulent water (like waterfalls) freeze - you may see that in northern mountain regions.

Are you saying that arctic ocean water is warmer than 0C?

johnnykatz said:
Are you saying that arctic ocean water is warmer than 0C?
Its surface temperature is usually about -2C (but it is still a bit above freezing point of salted water), while at some depth it is about +4C

Last edited:
xts said:
Its surface temperature is usually about -2C (but it is still a bit above freezing point of salted water), while at some depth it is about +4C

Yes. Water density decreases as temperatures decrease below 3.9°C, so that the colder waters rise to the surface. There, depending upon salinity, they remain liquid until the freezing point is reached.

Since these waters never get much colder than -2°C, they are the warmest environments around in the polar areas. That is why the vast majority of polar life forms are either marine or aquatic.

Related to Relationship between turbulence and freezing?

1. What is the relationship between turbulence and freezing?

The relationship between turbulence and freezing is complex and not yet fully understood. However, it is generally accepted that turbulence can enhance the rate of freezing by increasing the mixing and collision between particles, which promotes nucleation and growth of ice crystals.

2. What factors influence the relationship between turbulence and freezing?

The relationship between turbulence and freezing is influenced by various factors such as temperature, humidity, and particle size. Higher turbulence levels, lower temperatures, and higher humidity can all increase the rate of freezing. Additionally, the type and concentration of particles present can also affect the relationship.

3. How does turbulence affect the formation of ice crystals?

Turbulence can affect the formation of ice crystals in several ways. It can increase the collision and mixing between particles, leading to more efficient nucleation and growth of ice crystals. Turbulence can also affect the shape and size of ice crystals, as well as the orientation of their crystal lattice.

4. Can turbulence prevent freezing?

Turbulence can prevent freezing under certain conditions. For example, in turbulent environments with high concentrations of supercooled water droplets, the intense mixing and collisions can prevent the droplets from freezing. However, in most cases, turbulence tends to enhance the rate of freezing.

5. How does the relationship between turbulence and freezing impact weather patterns?

The relationship between turbulence and freezing can have significant impacts on weather patterns. It plays a role in the formation of precipitation, as well as the development and intensity of storms. Turbulence can also affect the formation and distribution of clouds, which can impact temperature and humidity levels in the atmosphere.