Relationship between truncated tetrahedral and its enclosed tetrahedral....

In summary, the conversation discusses the mathematical formula for calculating "a" for a given "b" in a picture of a tetrahedron inside a truncated tetrahedron. The solution involves putting 4 tetrahedra with edge="a" back on the truncated tetrahedron to create a bigger tetrahedron with edge="3a". The proportion between the edge and the center-to-vertex length is found by subtracting the height of the top tetrahedron with edge="a" from the center-to-vertex length of the inner tetrahedron. The "center-to-vertex length" is also known as the "exsphere radius" and can be found using Pythagorean's law.
andrewvecsey
What is the mathematical formula to calculate "a" for a given "b" in the picture below of a tetrahedron with sides "b" inside of a truncated tetrahedron with sides "a". I think that this is a more challenging problem that what it appears to be.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
photo1047.jpg

Put 4 tetrahedra with edge=a back on the truncated tetrahedron. This results in a big tetrahedron with edge=3a. Find the proportion between the 3a edge and the center-to-vertex length. Subtract the height of the top tetrahedron with edge=a from the center-to-vertex length. This results in the center-to-vertex length of the inner tetrahedron. Then b is found because the proportion between the edge and the center-to-vertex length is known.

OK. Now I have a "new big tetrahedral with side "3a" that encloses my "original truncated tetrahedral with side "a".
Question1:
How do I find the proportion between the 3a edge of this new big tetrahedron and the center to vertex length.
Question2:
Which vertex do you mean? The vertex if the "new big tetrahedral", or the vertex of the small original tetrahedral enclosed by the truncated tetrahedral?
Question3:
Is the "center to vertex length" of the small original tetrahedral with side "b" called the "exsphere radius" of this tetrahedral?
Question4:
What are the "exsphere radius" and the "midsphere radius" of a truncated tetrahedron as refereed to in the truncated tetrahedral calculator found at: http://rechneronline.de/pi/truncated-tetrahedron.php
Question5:
What are the "insphere radius", "midsphere radius" and the "exsphere radius" of tetrahedrals as referred to in the tetrahedral calculator found at: http://rechneronline.de/pi/tetrahedron.php
Sorry that I have so many questions.
kind regards
andrew
PS
In my problem, I know the value of "b" and need to solve for the value of "a".

The problem is solved by comparing the big un-truncated tetrahedron to the inner tetrahedron. I suppose the center-to-vertex length is called the exsphere radius. We must find the proportions;
3a / b = outer exsphere radius / inner exsphere radius
I see that the inner exsphere radius is equal to the outer exsphere radius minus the height of the little tetrahedron at the top. It has edge=a.
All there is needed to be known is the height and exsphere radius for any tetrahedron. You could look this up on wiki but it's not hard. The triangles of a tetrahedron subdivide into six 30-60-90 triangles. From these segments I can see how to calculate the height with pythagorean's law. The triangle that finds the height has a similar triangle inside that finds the exsphere radius.

Thanks for the great help Helios.
I used the radius of the circumsphere for the tetrahedrons instead of their exsphere radius to calculate the proportions which was the key to solving this problem.
The radius of the circumsphere for a tetrahedral (a circumscribed sphere of a polyhedron is a sphere that contains the polyhedron and touches each of the polyhedron's vertices).https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumscribed_sphere. For a tetrahedron with sides "b", the circumsphere =(square root of 6 divided by 4) times b. The exsphere for the tetrahedral https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exsphere_(polyhedra) (i am not really sure what it really is)=b/(square root of 6). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrahedron.
The hight of a tetrahedron is (root of 6 divided by 3) times the length of its side.
When I did all the calculations, I got
a=0.6b.
I made a paper model and it seemed to be right.
Thanks again
andrew

Related to Relationship between truncated tetrahedral and its enclosed tetrahedral....

1. What is a truncated tetrahedron and how is it related to an enclosed tetrahedron?

A truncated tetrahedron is a polyhedron with 8 faces, 14 edges, and 6 vertices. It is created by truncating the corners of a regular tetrahedron. The enclosed tetrahedron refers to the smaller tetrahedron that is contained within the truncated tetrahedron. This smaller tetrahedron shares the same base and top face as the truncated tetrahedron, but its corners are not truncated.

2. How is the volume of a truncated tetrahedron related to that of its enclosed tetrahedron?

The volume of a truncated tetrahedron is equal to the sum of the volume of the enclosed tetrahedron and the volume of the truncated corners. This can be calculated using the formula V = (1/3) * h * A, where h is the height of the tetrahedron and A is the area of the base.

3. What are some real-life examples of truncated tetrahedra and their enclosed tetrahedra?

Truncated tetrahedra can be found in crystals, such as the mineral garnet. The enclosed tetrahedra in this case would be the smaller crystals within the larger truncated tetrahedral structure. They can also be seen in architecture, where truncated tetrahedra are used as building blocks for domes and other geometric structures.

4. How does the surface area of a truncated tetrahedron compare to that of its enclosed tetrahedron?

The surface area of a truncated tetrahedron is always greater than that of its enclosed tetrahedron. This is because the truncated corners add extra surface area to the polyhedron. The exact difference in surface area depends on the size and proportions of the truncated tetrahedron.

5. Can a truncated tetrahedron be divided into smaller, identical enclosed tetrahedra?

Yes, a truncated tetrahedron can be divided into smaller, identical enclosed tetrahedra. This can be done by connecting the midpoints of the edges of the truncated tetrahedron, which creates a smaller tetrahedron within each of the original faces. These smaller tetrahedra will all be identical in size and shape.