Relationship Between the Probability Current and Continuity Equation

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's attempt to learn quantum mechanics from a textbook by David Miller for their electrical engineering studies. They are having trouble understanding how the probability current satisfies the continuity equation with a probability distribution, and the textbook suggests deriving the relationship to practice the mathematics. The speaker asks for ideas on how to approach this, and the other person suggests starting with the probability and making a connection with the Schrödinger equation.
darfmore
I'm currently reading through a textbook by David Miller and attempting to teach myself quantum mechanics to assist with my electrical engineering. I have run into a little trouble trying to understand how the probability current satisfies the continuity equation with a probability distribution as shown:

(The probability current equation that is defined in the textbook is given in the attached image)

(d/dt)P(x,t) + (d/dx)J(x,t) = 0, where P(x,t) = |ψ(x,t)|^2

This is an assumption made in deriving further applications about the probability current and the text suggests that I derive the relationship to practice the mathematics of quantum mechanics but I can't see how the expression is valid.
Any ideas on how to go about it? Thanks.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 403
Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest by starting with the probability, write the probability as [itex]\psi^* \psi[/itex], and take the time derivative. Make connection with the Schrödinger equation after that.

Related to Relationship Between the Probability Current and Continuity Equation

1. What is the relationship between probability current and continuity equation?

The continuity equation states that the rate of change of a quantity in a given volume is equal to the net flow of that quantity into the volume. In the context of quantum mechanics, the probability current represents the flow of probability density through a given point in space. Therefore, the continuity equation relates the change in probability density to the probability current.

2. Why is the continuity equation important in quantum mechanics?

The continuity equation is important in quantum mechanics because it ensures that the total probability of finding a particle in a given region of space remains constant over time. This is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and is crucial for understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

3. How is the probability current calculated?

The probability current is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of a quantum system. The probability current is given by the product of the probability density and the velocity of the particle at a given point in space.

4. What are some real-world applications of the continuity equation?

The continuity equation has many applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetism. In quantum mechanics, it is used to analyze the behavior of particles at the quantum level. In fluid dynamics, it is used to study the flow of fluids. In electromagnetism, it is used to understand the flow of electric charge.

5. Is the continuity equation always satisfied?

In classical mechanics, the continuity equation is always satisfied. However, in quantum mechanics, it is only satisfied in certain situations, such as when there is no external potential acting on the system. In the presence of external potentials, the continuity equation may not be satisfied, and this can lead to interesting phenomena such as tunneling and quantum interference.