Relationship between momentum and kinetic energy in the real world?

In summary, the equation KE = 1/2*m*v^2 represents the relationship between kinetic energy and momentum, with kinetic energy being the antiderivative function of momentum. The dot product between velocity and an infinitesimal change in momentum is represented by d(\frac{1}{2}mv^2), with the integral dropping the d. The rate at which energy varies with momentum is equal to the velocity of the particle, and if the kinetic energy is a quadratic function in momentum, then the integral of momentum with respect to velocity will equal the kinetic energy. However, this may not hold true in all cases, as the relationship between kinetic energy and momentum can vary depending on the approach used in classical mechanics.
nhmllr
I was thinking about the 1/2 in KE = 1/2*m*v2
I thought about how strange it was, and then I realized that as a function on velocity (v), kinetic energy is the antiderivative function of momentum.

However, I am very confused as to what that implies. My question is very vague, but what exactly is the relationship between momentum and kinetic energy in the real world? Is 1/6*m*v3 meaningful?

Physics news on Phys.org
The energy is the dot product of the velocity and an infinitesimal change in momentum which happens to be

[tex]d(\frac{1}{2}mv^2)[/tex]

The integral just drops the d.

LostConjugate said:
The energy is the dot product of the velocity and an infinitesimal change in momentum which happens to be

[tex]d(\frac{1}{2}mv^2)[/tex]

The integral just drops the d.

The dot product is just the magnitudes of the two vectors multiplied, right?
I still don't understand what the relationship between momentum and kinetic energy really means.

I understand the whole derivative thing with the relationship between distance, velocity, and acceleration. How is this similar?

Just to add another step:

[tex]d(\frac{1}{2}mv^2)=vdp=v(mdv)=d(\frac{1}{2}mv^2) [/tex]

Basically this equation:

[tex]\frac{dE}{dp}=\frac{dT}{dp}=v [/tex]

where T is the kinetic energy.

So the rate at which the energy varies with momentum is the velocity of the particle.

(As an example consider special relativity:

E^2=p^2+m^2
2EdE=2pdp
dE/dp=p/E=v )

So I guess you would take d of both sides

[tex]dv=d\frac{dE}{dp}=d\frac{dT}{dp} [/tex]

Multiply both sides by p and integrate (the RHS by parts):

[tex]\int pdv= p\frac{dT}{dp}-T [/tex]

So I think basically if the kinetic energy is a quadratic function in momentum, then the RHS will be equal to T. To prove this just solve the differential equation:[tex]p\frac{dT}{dp}-T=T [/tex]

[tex]dT/T=2dp/p [/tex]

[tex]logT=2*Log[p] [/tex]

[tex]T=p^2 [/tex]

I don't know where the units went (I usually screw up units alot), but if the kinetic energy is quadratic in momentum, then the integral of momentum with respect to velocity will equal the kinetic energy!

Hopefully I didn't screw up somewhere.

Actually, now that I think about it, I think I did screw up somewhere. As an exercise try to find out where!

If you define momentum as p=dT/dv, then it automatically follows that [tex]\int pdv=\int dT=T [/tex]

Anyways, if F*distance=work, and F=dp/dt, and work equals change in energy, then:

F*distance=dp/dt*(vdt)=vdp=dT

That's how you get the expression dT=vdp. This should be completely general.

Last edited:
My views are as follows:
I first regard the kinetic energy is a kind of energy which can show the magnitude of work resulted from the total external force. This definition, to a certain extend, also fits to our intuitions. Then, we may write the formula which may appear frequently in most textbooks:
[tex]\int F^{\rightarrow}\cdot d r^{\rightarrow}=\Delta E_k[/tex]
The left side equals:
[tex]\int F^{\rightarrow}\cdot v^{\rightarrow}dt=\int \frac{d p^{\rightarrow}}{dt}\cdot v^{\rightarrow}dt[/tex]
Then:
[tex]\int v^{\rightarrow}\cdot d p^{\rightarrow}=\Delta E_k[/tex]
So,for a simple 1-D condition:
[tex]\frac{dE_k}{dp}=v[/tex]
This may be the best relation between kinetic energy and momentum.
If the mass can be thought of a constant during motion, this corresponds a low velocity.
If the mass changes with the magnitude of the velocity, in fact, a real condition in our world, this can correspond the formula in special relativity.

Last edited:
OH, sorry, my reply actually repeated the RedX's...
To my surprise!

Dyson said:
OH, sorry, my reply actually repeated the RedX's...
To my surprise!

That's my fault because I edited my post. I like your explanation better anyhow.

(oh and if you want to put vectors on top of symbols, just use \vec{symbol} )

Anyways, for those of you who know the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formulation of classical mechanics, I can't figure out where I went wrong. It seems in the Lagrangian approach, the kinetic energy can have any form, and the integral of momentum with respect to velocity should give you kinetic energy.

For the Hamiltonian approach however, the integral of momentum with respect to velocity seems to only give you kinetic energy if the kinetic energy is quadratic in momentum or velocity.

Last edited:

Related to Relationship between momentum and kinetic energy in the real world?

1. How are momentum and kinetic energy related in the real world?

In the real world, momentum and kinetic energy are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the momentum of an object increases, its kinetic energy also increases. Similarly, when the momentum decreases, the kinetic energy also decreases.

2. Can an object have momentum without having kinetic energy?

Yes, an object can have momentum without having kinetic energy. This can happen when an object is at rest or when its velocity is zero. In such cases, the object still has a mass and a velocity, which results in non-zero momentum, but it does not have any kinetic energy.

3. How does the relationship between momentum and kinetic energy apply to collisions?

In collisions, the total momentum of the system is conserved, meaning that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This also applies to the total kinetic energy of the system, which remains constant if there is no external force acting on the system.

4. Does the mass of an object affect its momentum and kinetic energy?

Yes, the mass of an object has a direct impact on its momentum and kinetic energy. The greater the mass of an object, the greater its momentum and kinetic energy will be, assuming the velocity remains constant.

5. How does the relationship between momentum and kinetic energy explain the motion of objects?

The relationship between momentum and kinetic energy can be used to explain the motion of objects. When a force is applied to an object, its momentum increases, which leads to an increase in its kinetic energy. This results in the object accelerating and moving in the direction of the force.