Relationship Between Kinetic Energy and Temperature

In summary, the pages 10-13 of Daniel Schroeder's book "Thermal Physics" discuss the relationship between temperature and kinetic energy for ideal gases. This relationship can be expressed as ##\bar E_K=\frac{3}{2}kT##. There have been experiments, such as the Maxwel-Boltzman distribution, that confirm this relationship. These experiments can be found in college teaching labs and can be used to determine the energy distribution of a gas and confirm the relationship between temperature and kinetic energy.
Bashyboy
Hello everyone,

I am currently reading the pages from a book called Thermal Physics, which was written by Daniel Schroeder; the pages to which I refer are 10-13. In these pages, he derives the relationship [itex]\bar{T} = kT[/itex]. Here is one line that intrigues me,

"So if this model is accurate, the temperature of a gas is a direct measure of the average translational kinetic energy of its molecules."

I was wondering, does anyone know of any experiments that had (or are) been conducted to verify this formula, as I would be very interested in reading an account of these experiments.

Thank you.

Science news on Phys.org
"##\bar T=kT##" is nonsense - typo?

The usual relationship for the kinetic temperature of an ideal gas is: ##\bar E_K=\frac{3}{2}kT## ... for a general gas we expect: ##\bar E_K\propto kT## ... where the constant of proportionality is a material property. For simple gasses, it corresponds to roughly half the number of degrees of freedom.

I was wondering, does anyone know of any experiments that had (or are) been conducted to verify this formula, as I would be very interested in reading an account of these experiments.
The definitive experiments were done a long time ago.

The distribution of energies follows the Maxwel-Boltzman distribution - and it is this which has been experimentally confirmed. These days it may be found in a college teaching lab. i.e. http://www.cosbkup.gatech.edu/group/chem780/CHAPT1.pdf s1.5.5
... the lead-up is worth the read since the authors make some effort to justify assertions from simple observations where they can.
Anyway - the section shows the student-lab methods of determining the energy distribution of a gas. From there you can confirm the relationship between the mean energy and the temperature.

Last edited:

Related to Relationship Between Kinetic Energy and Temperature

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is a form of energy that is associated with the movement of particles or objects.

2. How is kinetic energy related to temperature?

Kinetic energy and temperature are directly related. As the temperature of a substance increases, its particles gain more kinetic energy and therefore move faster.

3. What is the equation for calculating kinetic energy?

The equation for calculating kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

4. Can kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as potential energy, thermal energy, and sound energy.

5. How does kinetic energy affect the behavior of particles in a substance?

The amount of kinetic energy of particles in a substance affects their speed and movement. As particles gain more kinetic energy, they move faster and may even change state from solid to liquid to gas.