Relationship between k and orbital phase of solid state?

In summary: But the wavefunction itself does not change; it’s just that the orbitals are now in different positions.
Alec Neeson
I understand that quantum objects have wave and particle properties. I know that k = 2π / lamda. I am simply not understanding the x-axis of a bandstructure plot of E(k) vs. k. I've read parts of a book by Roald Hoffman on this subject. In the book it is shown that there are infinite chain of hydrogen atoms. K is related to the orbital phase in this book. I am not sure how to connect this k to orbital phase. I've heard k can be a measure of momentum. How exactly is k and the phase of an orbital related? What is the most realistic idea of the notion of k? I want to physically understand k. Does this momentum of k relate to the orbital angular momentum and that is how phase and momentum are related?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I imagine the book you’re referring to is “Solids and Surfaces” by Roald Hoffmann. It’s a really good book for approaching solid state physics from a chemical point of view, but it sounds like you’re struggling with some basic aspects of solid state physics.

##k## is the wave number (more generally, the wave vector) of a particle, which is related to the momentum of the particle by ##\mathbf{p} =\hbar \mathbf{k}##. Bloch’s theorem states that the energy eigenstates of a periodic lattice (such as a crystal) have the form
$$\psi(\mathbf{r})=\exp (i\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{r})\phi(\mathbf{r})$$
The function ##\phi(\mathbf{r})## is periodic with the same period as the lattice, and the function ##\exp (i\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{r})## is a plane wave (free particle state) with momentum ##\hbar\mathbf{k}##.

Solving the Schrodinger equation for an atom, for example, gives a discrete spectrum of energy eigenstates, but solving the Schrödinger equation for a periodic system gives a different eigenfunction for each value of ##\mathbf{k}##, which is a continuous variable. So if we were to draw the energy level diagram for a crystal as we would for an atom or molecule, we would simply draw a variable density continuum of states, which is not very enlightening. Instead, we use ##\mathbf{k}## as a kind of “continuous index” and plot ##E## vs. ##\mathbf{k}##. This plot gives us information on the continuous energy bands that are characteristic of a crystal.

In a bandstructure diagram of E(k) vs. k : each band can be occupied by 2 electrons similar to a molecular orbital or no? Also, do the orbitals change as you change the k value or just the phase of the orbitals?

Alec Neeson said:
each band can be occupied by 2 electrons similar to a molecular orbital or no?
No. Each band is a continuous collection of energy eigenstates. Each eigenstate can be occupied by 2 electrons.
Alec Neeson said:
Also, do the orbitals change as you change the k value or just the phase of the orbitals?
The orbitals themselves change. It might help to think of ##\mathbf{k}## as an index on the wavefunction, just as you’d think of ##n,l,m_l## as indices on atomic wave functions.

Related to Relationship between k and orbital phase of solid state?

1. What is the relationship between k and orbital phase of solid state?

The relationship between k and orbital phase of solid state is that k represents the wave vector, which is a measure of the momentum of electrons in the solid state. The orbital phase, on the other hand, refers to the position of the electron in its orbit around the nucleus. As k increases, the orbital phase of the electron shifts to a higher energy state.

2. How does the orbital phase affect the electronic properties of solid state materials?

The orbital phase plays a crucial role in determining the electronic properties of solid state materials. It affects the energy levels of electrons, which in turn affects the conductivity, magnetism, and other properties of the material. The orbital phase also determines the shape and orientation of the electron orbitals, which can impact the bonding and structure of the material.

3. What factors influence the value of k in solid state materials?

The value of k in solid state materials is influenced by several factors, including the crystal structure, temperature, and external forces such as electric and magnetic fields. The type of atoms present in the material and their arrangement can also affect the value of k.

4. How does the relationship between k and orbital phase change in different materials?

The relationship between k and orbital phase can vary in different materials, depending on their electronic structure and properties. In some materials, the value of k may have a direct correlation with the orbital phase, while in others, the two may have an inverse relationship. Additionally, the specific values of k and orbital phase may differ greatly between different materials.

5. Can the relationship between k and orbital phase be manipulated in solid state materials?

Yes, the relationship between k and orbital phase can be manipulated in solid state materials through various methods such as doping, applying external forces, and altering the crystal structure. These manipulations can change the electronic properties of the material, making it useful for different applications in electronics, optics, and other fields.