Relationship between HHV and LHV of gaseous propane

In summary, the Lower Heating Value (LHV) of gaseous propane is approximately 2044 kJ/mol, calculated by subtracting the heat of vaporisation of water at 25°C (43.97 kJ/mol) from the Higher Heating Value (HHV) of gaseous propane (2220 kJ/mol). This accounts for the production of 4 moles of water in the combustion reaction.
MickeyBlue

Homework Statement

The Higher Heating Value (HHV) of gaseous propane is given as 2220.0 kJ/mol. What is the value of the Lower Heating Value (LHV) of gaseous propane?

Data for water (all in kJ/mol):
H(g, 25 deg. C) = 45.85 ;
H(g, 100 deg. C) = 48.17 ;
H(l, 25 deg. C) = 1.886 ;
H(l, 100 deg. C) = 7.544 ;
∆Hvap(25 deg. C) = 43.97 ;
∆Hvap(100 deg. C) = 40.63

A. 2057 kJ/mol
  • B. 2387 kJ/mol
  • C. 2044 kJ/mol
  • D. 2014 kJ/mol
  • E. 2035 kJ/mol

Homework Equations

HHV = LHV + nΔHvap
I know LHV is HHV less heat of vaporisation of water, but the idea of calculating from what I think is the reference state is confusing me. I realize I may be missing something obvious, but we didn't spend long covering this topic.

The Attempt at a Solution

LHV = HHV - nΔHvap

LHV = (2220) - Hsensible - (ΔHvap - ΔHvap, ref))
= (2220) - (7.544 - 1.886) - (40.63 - 43.97)
= 2218 kJ/mol

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll give this one a try since nobody else has replied yet.

Caveat: This subject is not my area of expertise.

MickeyBlue said:

Homework Statement

The Higher Heating Value (HHV) of gaseous propane is given as 2220.0 kJ/mol. What is the value of the Lower Heating Value (LHV) of gaseous propane?

Data for water (all in kJ/mol):
H(g, 25 deg. C) = 45.85 ;
H(g, 100 deg. C) = 48.17 ;
H(l, 25 deg. C) = 1.886 ;
H(l, 100 deg. C) = 7.544 ;
∆Hvap(25 deg. C) = 43.97 ;
∆Hvap(100 deg. C) = 40.63

A. 2057 kJ/mol
  • B. 2387 kJ/mol
  • C. 2044 kJ/mol
  • D. 2014 kJ/mol
  • E. 2035 kJ/mol

Homework Equations

HHV = LHV + nΔHvap
I know LHV is HHV less heat of vaporisation of water, but the idea of calculating from what I think is the reference state is confusing me. I realize I may be missing something obvious, but we didn't spend long covering this topic.

The Attempt at a Solution

LHV = HHV - nΔHvap

LHV = (2220) - Hsensible - (ΔHvap - ΔHvap, ref))
= (2220) - (7.544 - 1.886) - (40.63 - 43.97)
= 2218 kJ/mol

Question: Answer C is in boldface in your original post. Is it in boldface because it is the correct answer? (I just want to make sure. It's not clear why it is in boldface in the original post.)

You might find this description of HHV and LHV useful:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_of_combustion
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_of_combustion
I do not understand what you are doing with Hsensible. What is that?

Nor do I understand why you are subtracting one ΔHvap from another.

One of the things you will need to determine before arriving at the correct answer is to determine how many moles of water are in the products compared to the number of moles of propane.

In other words, for every mole of propane in the combustion, there will be n moles of water that are produced in the products. What is n?

*Update: I've since come the right answer of 2044 kJ/mol.

Thank you for the input, collinsmark. My confusion here was brought about by other methods I know to calculate heat of a general reaction. You're exactly right. I neglected to write out a balanced equation for the combustion reaction, which is:

C3H8 + 5 O2 → 3 CO2 + 4 H2O

Sensible heat was meant to represent a change in heat caused by a change in temperature, which I realize now doesn't factor into the LHV.

So LHV = HHV - nΔH25°Cvap = (2220) - (4×43.97) ≈ 2044 kJ/mol

Likes collinsmark

Related to Relationship between HHV and LHV of gaseous propane

1. What is the difference between HHV and LHV of gaseous propane?

The Higher Heating Value (HHV) and Lower Heating Value (LHV) of gaseous propane refer to different ways of measuring the amount of heat energy released when the gas is burned. HHV takes into account the heat energy released from the condensation of water vapor in the exhaust, while LHV only considers the heat energy released from the combustion process itself.

2. How are HHV and LHV of gaseous propane calculated?

HHV is calculated by measuring the amount of heat released when propane is burned in a constant volume chamber and then subtracting the heat required for vaporization of the water formed during combustion. LHV is calculated by measuring the amount of heat released when propane is burned in a constant pressure chamber.

3. What are the units of measurement for HHV and LHV of gaseous propane?

HHV and LHV are typically measured in units of energy per unit of mass, such as joules per gram (J/g) or British Thermal Units per pound (BTU/lb).

4. How does the relationship between HHV and LHV affect the performance of propane-fueled appliances?

The LHV of a fuel is typically used to rate the efficiency of appliances, as it represents the maximum amount of heat energy that can be utilized for practical purposes. However, the HHV of a fuel also plays a role in determining an appliance's performance, as a higher HHV means more heat is available for use. Additionally, some appliances may be designed to take advantage of the condensation of water vapor in the exhaust, which would require using the HHV instead of the LHV.

5. Does the HHV and LHV of gaseous propane change with different conditions?

Yes, the HHV and LHV of gaseous propane can vary depending on factors such as temperature, pressure, and composition. For example, as the temperature of the propane increases, the HHV will decrease due to the increased energy required for vaporization. Additionally, impurities in the propane can also affect the HHV and LHV values.

Back