Relationship between commutators and observables

In summary: However, the bra-ket notation is just another way of writing the wavefunction, so it doesn't necessarily mean that the operator has a definite value.
playoff

Homework Statement

Suppose A^ and B^ are linear quantum operators representing two observables A and B of a physical system. What must be true of the commutator [A^,B^] so that the system can have definite values of A and B simultaneously?

Homework Equations

I will use the bra-ket notation for the inner product (sorry for lack of latex)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I assumed that for observables A and B to have a definite value, <psi*|A^|psi> and <psi*|B^|psi> have to be normalizable. Call a and b normalization constants of <psi*|A^|psi> and <psi*|B^|psi> respectively, then: a<psi*|A^|psi> = b<psi*|B^|psi> = 1.

Here I made my sloppy assumption that the equation above implies that A^ and B^ are proportional (A^=(b/a)*A^), which leads to that the commutator must be zero.

I made this assumption as both A^ and B^ are being "operated" by the same inner product, so the bolded equation can be reduced to aA^=bB^. Is this an assumption I can make?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation that you wrote down doesn't lead to any relation between ##\hat{A}## and ##\hat{B}##, since, as long as the expectation values are nonzero, we can always find ##a## and ##b## as the reciprocal of the corresponding expectation values. The values of ##a## and ##b## are unrelated.

The key here is to understand what "definite value" means in this context. For a system to have a definite value of an observable, it must be in an eigenstate of the observable. The problem wants you to figure out what this means when you have two observables

Likes playoff
@fzero: Yes, I had a totally wrong understanding of a definite value. It makes sense that an operator has a definite value if the normalized wavefunction is its eigenfunction, thus the inner product becomes the eigenvalue.

Related to Relationship between commutators and observables

1. What is the relationship between commutators and observables?

The relationship between commutators and observables is that commutators are used to determine whether two observables in quantum mechanics can be measured simultaneously. If the commutator between two observables is equal to zero, then they can be measured simultaneously. However, if the commutator is not equal to zero, then the observables do not commute and cannot be measured simultaneously.

2. How are commutators and observables related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

Commutators and observables are related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle because the principle states that it is impossible to know the exact values of certain pairs of observables simultaneously. This is because the commutator between these observables is not equal to zero, indicating that they do not commute and cannot be measured simultaneously. The uncertainty principle is a result of the relationship between commutators and observables.

3. Can commutators be used to determine the compatibility of observables?

Yes, commutators can be used to determine the compatibility of observables. As mentioned before, if the commutator between two observables is equal to zero, then they are compatible and can be measured simultaneously. If the commutator is not equal to zero, then the observables are not compatible and cannot be measured simultaneously.

4. How do commutators relate to the measurement of physical quantities in quantum mechanics?

Commutators play a crucial role in the measurement of physical quantities in quantum mechanics. They are used to determine the order in which observables should be measured, as well as whether or not they can be measured simultaneously. Commutators also help to define the precision and accuracy of measurements, as well as the uncertainty in the values of observables.

5. Are commutators and observables only applicable in quantum mechanics?

No, commutators and observables are not only applicable in quantum mechanics. They also have applications in classical mechanics, particularly in the study of Hamiltonian mechanics. In classical mechanics, commutators are used to calculate the Poisson bracket, which is similar to the commutator in quantum mechanics and also determines the compatibility of observables.