Relations between lagrangian and hamiltonian

In summary: So the choice of the sign of the Hamiltonian is not arbitrary, but it is the one that fits to the most natural definition of what energy is in a system.In summary, the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian are two mathematical quantities used to describe the dynamics of a system. The Hamiltonian is defined as the Legendre transform of the Lagrangian and is commonly associated with the energy of the system. The choice of the sign for the Hamiltonian is not arbitrary, but corresponds to the convention of counting kinetic energy positive and potential energy as positive. The Hamiltonian is also conserved in systems that are invariant under time translations, making it a useful tool for defining energy.
LagrangeEuler
Lagrangian is defined by ##L=L(q_i,\dot{q}_i,t)## and hamiltonian is defined by ##H=H(q_i,p_i,t)##. Why there is relation
[tex]H=\sum_i p_i\dot{q}_i-L[/tex]
end no
[tex]H=L-\sum_i p_i\dot{q}_i[/tex]
or why ##H## is Legendre transform of ##-L##?

Physics news on Phys.org
##H## is the Legendre transform of ##L## It is just a definition. Such a definition is convenient because ##H## turns to be the energy of the system: ##L=T-V;\quad H=T+V##

For me, there is some mystery with the Legendre transform that I haven't resolved for myself... but hope to get back to this summer.

Here are some possibly enlightening resources:

"Making Sense of the Legendre Transform" by R. K. P. Zia, Edward F. Redish, Susan R. McKay
http://doi.org/10.1119/1.3119512 American Journal of Physics 77, 614 (2009)
https://arxiv.org/abs/0806.1147

"Legendre Transforms for Dummies" by Carl E. Mungan
https://www.aapt.org/docdirectory/meetingpresentations/SM14/Mungan-Poster.pdf

"A Graphical Derivation of the Legendre Transform" by Sam Kennerly https://sites.google.com/site/samkennerly/maths

Likes dextercioby
If not to discuss the Legendre transform in general but focus on Lagrangian aspect only then everything is clear already because we know that autonomous Lagrangian system has the first integral
$$\dot q^i\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot q^i}-L$$
and ##p_i=\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot q^i}## is a generalized impulse

The choice of the sign for the Hamiltonian is of course convention, but it's a useful one, because then we have the sign defining energies and potential as it is common practice for centuries, and everybody is used to that convention. Let's take the most simple case of a non-relativistic particle moving in a potential. The Lagrangean reads
$$L=\frac{m}{2} \dot{\vec{x}}^2-V(\vec{x}).$$
The Hamiltonian thus gets (note that you should eliminate the velocities by canonical momenta ##\vec{p}=\partial_{\dot{\vec{x}}} L=m \dot{\vec{x}}##) after some simple algebra
$$H=\vec{p} \cdot \dot{\vec{x}}-L=\frac{\vec{p}^2}{2m} + V(\vec{x}).$$
That's the "right sign" in the sense that it counts kinetic energy positive and the potential thus also appears positive.

Now, indeed (as mentioned in #4) ##H## is conserved for a system that is invariant under time translations, and thanks to Noether that's the (in my opinion only!) safe ground to define, what "energy" is, namely the conserved quantity due to time-translation invariance. Noether's theorem tells us that the system is for sure time-translation invariant if the Lagrangian does not depend explicitly on time. Then indeed, using the Euler-Lagrange Equations gives
$$\dot{H}=0 \; \Rightarrow \; H=E=\text{const},$$
where ##E## is the total energy of the system.

Related to Relations between lagrangian and hamiltonian

1. What is the difference between a Lagrangian and a Hamiltonian?

The Lagrangian and Hamiltonian are two mathematical formulations used to describe the dynamics of a physical system. The Lagrangian is a function of the system's generalized coordinates and velocities, while the Hamiltonian is a function of the system's generalized coordinates and momenta. The Lagrangian approach is based on the principle of least action, while the Hamiltonian approach is based on the principle of conservation of energy.

2. How are the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian related?

The Hamiltonian is derived from the Lagrangian through a mathematical transformation called the Legendre transformation. This transformation allows us to express the system's dynamics in terms of the generalized coordinates and momenta instead of coordinates and velocities. The Hamiltonian and Lagrangian are equivalent descriptions of the system, meaning they yield the same equations of motion.

3. Which approach is more useful in practical applications?

Both the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian approaches have their own advantages and are used in different areas of physics and engineering. The Lagrangian approach is particularly useful for systems with constraints, such as in mechanics and electromagnetics. The Hamiltonian approach is more commonly used in quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics, where it allows for a more straightforward treatment of the system's energy levels and statistical properties.

4. Can the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian be used interchangeably?

As mentioned before, the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian are equivalent descriptions of a physical system. However, depending on the system, one approach may be more convenient or simpler to use than the other. In some cases, it is possible to switch between the two formulations through a mathematical transformation, but this is not always the case.

5. Are there any limitations to the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian approaches?

While the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian approaches are powerful tools for describing the dynamics of a physical system, they do have their limitations. For example, they are not applicable to systems with non-conservative forces or systems with time-varying constraints. In these cases, alternative methods, such as the Fokker-Planck equation, must be used.