Relation of max velocity and max tension

In summary, the conversation is about finding an equation for vmax, the maximum velocity of a ball whirling on the end of a string with a maximum tension of Tbreak and a length of L. The participants also discuss the importance of attempting problems oneself and learning from mistakes.
hav0c
a ball is whirling on the end of the string L
the max tension is Tbreak
the max velocity is vmax
find an equation for vmaxin m(mass of ball)Tbreak, L and g

Attachments

• conpend.gif
    conpend.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 250
Physics news on Phys.org
bigerst said:
um does this go under homework type questions?
im not sure i thought of the question myself, as i was doing circular motion
but thanks for the derivation.

@havoc: you will get the most out of these forums if you attempt the problem yourself - then we will know what you are getting stuck on. Otherwise we just end up doing the problem for you and you don't learn as much.

What didn't you understand about the problem?

@bigerst: If you suspect homework - why give so much detail?
Even if it isn't homework, the questioner will still be helped best if you just point them in the right direction where they are lost and let them make the journey ;)

Simon Bridge said:
@havoc: you will get the most out of these forums if you attempt the problem yourself - then we will know what you are getting stuck on. Otherwise we just end up doing the problem for you and you don't learn as much.

What didn't you understand about the problem?

i was getting mixed up while using L and T during trig so i was getting all sorts of weird solutions.
I'll take care from now and will explain my situation completely(i did try it myself)
havoc

No worries - it is good that you try things out yourself ... it is better that you tell people what you've tried. That is information we can use to help you and fyi you won't be showing anyone anything they haven't done themselves.

In general, in science, where you make mistakes is often more valuable than where you get things right.

Related to Relation of max velocity and max tension

1. How does the maximum velocity affect the maximum tension in a system?

The maximum velocity and maximum tension in a system are directly related. As the velocity increases, the tension also increases. This is because the higher the velocity, the greater the forces acting on the system, leading to an increase in tension.

2. Is there a specific equation that relates maximum velocity and maximum tension?

Yes, there is an equation known as the "Fundamental Relation of Maximum Velocity and Maximum Tension" that describes this relationship. It states that the maximum tension is equal to the mass of the system multiplied by the square of the maximum velocity.

3. How does the mass of the system affect the relation between maximum velocity and maximum tension?

The mass of the system is a key factor in the relation between maximum velocity and maximum tension. As the mass of the system increases, the tension also increases at a faster rate compared to the increase in velocity. This is because a heavier system requires more force to achieve the same acceleration, resulting in higher tension.

4. Can the maximum tension in a system be greater than the maximum velocity?

No, the maximum tension in a system cannot be greater than the maximum velocity. This is because the maximum tension is directly proportional to the square of the maximum velocity, meaning that the tension can never exceed the velocity in terms of magnitude.

5. How does the type of material used in the system affect the relation between maximum velocity and maximum tension?

The type of material used in a system can have an impact on the relation between maximum velocity and maximum tension. Different materials have different properties, such as elasticity and strength, which can influence the amount of tension that can be applied before reaching the maximum velocity. A stiffer and stronger material may allow for higher tensions at a given velocity compared to a more flexible and weaker material.