Relation of completeness to the l.u.b. property?

In summary, the term 'complete' has different definitions in different contexts, with the real numbers being an example of a space that satisfies both definitions. However, for a metric space that is also a partially ordered set, it is not necessarily true that Cauchy completeness implies supremum completeness or vice versa. Additionally, there is only one complete archimedean ordered field, but there are other examples of complete non-archimedean ordered fields, such as those involving Laurent series. These examples can be obtained by taking the Cauchy completion of a non-archimedean ordered field. This concept is discussed in older algebra books but may not be included in more modern ones.
Mr Davis 97
My book says that the real numbers are complete in the sense that they satisfy the least upper bound property. So it is the case that completeness and satisfying the l.u.b. property are equivalent by definition, or is it the case that satisfying the l.u.b. property implies completeness, meaning that there are other ways for an ordered field to be complete?

Physics news on Phys.org
The word 'complete' has different definitions in different contexts. A metric space is complete if every Cauchy sequence in the space converges. In contrast, completeness for partially ordered sets is defined by reference to suprema or infima, of which the least upper bound property is an example.

Since the real numbers are both a metric space and a partially ordered set, the use of the term 'complete' is ambiguous, as each of the two possibilities gives a different definition of 'complete'. Fortunately, for the real numbers, the two definitions are logically equivalent. That's not the same thing as being equivalent by definition, as the definitions are different. But for the real numbers, satisfying one definition implies that the other is satisfied and vice versa.

More generally, for a metric space that is also a partially ordered set, I wonder if it can be proven that Cauchy completeness implies supremum completeness and/or vice versa.

Likes Mr Davis 97
I know completeness as "Every Cauchy sequences has a limit." defined on any ordered field, which means there are positive and negative numbers in this context. I've also found a proof that in ##\mathbb{R} \cup \{\pm \infty\}## both ##\displaystyle \mathop{\overline{\lim}}_{n \to \infty}## and ##\displaystyle \mathop{\underline{\lim}}_{n \to \infty}## are limit points, which I think generalizes to ordered fields in general. On the other hand, a metric on a topological space is unique up to isometries. Doesn't this already imply the equivalence of the two definitions for all metric spaces? Will say, I don't see what should have been to show.

andrewkirk said:
More generally, for a metric space that is also a partially ordered set, I wonder if it can be proven that Cauchy completeness implies supremum completeness and/or vice versa.

The order on the space might have nothing to do with the metric, so I don't see any hope for this being true in general. For example, take ##X=[0,1]## with the usual metric and use a bijection ##f:X\to (0,1)## to induce an order ##\leq_X## on ##X## defined by ##a\leq_Xb## if ##f(a)\leq f(b)##. Then ##X## is complete in the Cauchy sense but is isomorphic as an ordered set to ##(0,1)##, so not supremum complete. Conversely, you can consider ##(0,1)## as a metric space with an order defined by a bijection ##g:(0,1)\to [0,1]## as before to get a counterexample for the reverse implication.

fresh_42 said:
On the other hand, a metric on a topological space is unique up to isometries.
I think this is false. Equipping ##\mathbb{R}## with ##d_1(x,y)=|x-y|## and ##d_2(x,y)=|\arctan(x-y)|## gives homeomorphic but non-isometric spaces. For a trivial example, take the two-element discrete topological space and give it metrics which assign different distances to the pair of distinct points.

Infrared said:
I think this is false. Equipping ##\mathbb{R}## with ##d_1(x,y)=|x-y|## and ##d_2(x,y)=|\arctan(x-y)|## gives homeomorphic but non-isometric spaces. For a trivial example, take the two-element discrete topological space and give it metrics which assign different distances to the pair of distinct points.
Correct, I confused the order. A completion to a given metric is unique (sort of) and not the other way around. Thanks for correction.

Likes jim mcnamara
This was a confusing point to me, as I had heard there is only one complete ordered field, namely the real numbers, but then I saw examples of other "complete" non archimedean ordered fields. A correct statement seems to be that there is only one complete archimedean ordered field. The confusion occurs because of the two meanings of "complete". The lub version of complete also implies archimedean, whereas the Cauchy version of complete does not. So indeed there is only one lub-complete ordered field. Google some examples of complete non archimedean ordered fields. They tend to involve Laurent series. To get an example start from any non archimedean ordered field and form the Cauchy completion. This is discussed in standard old algebra books from my student days like Van der Waerden and Lang, but perhaps not in more modern ones like Dummitt and Foote.

Likes jim mcnamara

Related to Relation of completeness to the l.u.b. property?

1. What is the relation between completeness and the l.u.b. property?

The l.u.b. (least upper bound) property is a property of a set of real numbers, which states that every non-empty subset of the set has a least upper bound. Completeness, on the other hand, is a property of a metric space, which states that every Cauchy sequence in the space converges to a point in the space. The relation between these two properties is that a metric space is complete if and only if it satisfies the l.u.b. property.

2. How does the l.u.b. property relate to the completeness of a metric space?

The l.u.b. property is a necessary and sufficient condition for a metric space to be complete. This means that if a metric space satisfies the l.u.b. property, then it is complete; and if a metric space is complete, then it satisfies the l.u.b. property.

3. Can a metric space be complete without satisfying the l.u.b. property?

No, a metric space cannot be complete without satisfying the l.u.b. property. The l.u.b. property is a necessary condition for completeness, which means that if a metric space does not satisfy the l.u.b. property, then it cannot be complete.

4. What is an example of a metric space that satisfies the l.u.b. property but is not complete?

An example of such a metric space is the set of rational numbers (Q) with the usual metric. This set satisfies the l.u.b. property, as every non-empty subset of Q has a least upper bound, but it is not complete, as there are Cauchy sequences in Q that do not converge to a rational number.

5. Is the l.u.b. property equivalent to completeness in all metric spaces?

No, the l.u.b. property is not equivalent to completeness in all metric spaces. While it is a necessary and sufficient condition for completeness in most metric spaces, there are some spaces (such as non-Archimedean spaces) where the l.u.b. property does not hold, but the space is still complete.